Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2014, 10:48 AM   #736
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I don't know what you mean. All Pentax zooms come with hoods. If you're saying that the 18-135 doesn't come with a real hood, then could you explain what that means?
At the wide end the hood doesnt quite offer enough coverage when shooting at certain angles to strong light sources (as it should). CA and too much flair I taped a piece of rubber gasket (cut rubber lens hood) to mine and its much better . I just want the coverage.... that 3-4mm added makes a diffrence !
Im hoping for a good review , then I will ditch the 18mm-135mm in favor of a lens I will use more for my style , and needs.

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 12-05-2014 at 11:01 AM.
12-05-2014, 12:49 PM   #737
Veteran Member

No zoom has a hood that is attached to the front element that covers the field of view of both wide and long end. If you have a hood long enough to completely shade the glass at the long end, it will vignette on the short end. A prime lens hood will cover exactly the amount of field of view and so can be optimized to maximize the shade on the lens. While the canon 24-70mm version 1 hood does cover all the distances, it is massive.

Last edited by y0chang; 12-05-2014 at 12:57 PM.
12-05-2014, 01:16 PM   #738
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by y0chang Quote
No zoom has a hood that is attached to the front element that covers the field of view of both wide and long end. If you have a hood long enough to completely shade the glass at the long end, it will vignette on the short end. A prime lens hood will cover exactly the amount of field of view and so can be optimized to maximize the shade on the lens. While the canon 24-70mm version 1 hood does cover all the distances, it is massive.
I have always wondered why, as opposed to most zooms that have elongated tulip-shaped hoods, the DA 55-300 WR has a long, standard circular lens hood. How does that work?!
12-05-2014, 01:46 PM   #739
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
I have always wondered why, as opposed to most zooms that have elongated tulip-shaped hoods, the DA 55-300 WR has a long, standard circular lens hood. How does that work?!
I assume it's a cost saving measure. The 60-250mm tulip hood has to cost a lot more to manufacture.

12-05-2014, 02:02 PM   #740
Pentaxian

I assume it's a cost saving measure. The 60-250mm tulip hood has to cost a lot more to manufacture.
I doubt it, even the DA kit lenses have tulip shaped hoods. Why would a tele zoom that costs three times as much come with an inferior hood?
12-05-2014, 02:47 PM   #741

I think I have to reask:

Does this lens have aspherical elements? The Name suggests no but the construction plan says yes.
12-05-2014, 03:07 PM - 1 Like   #742
Veteran Member

Three aspherical elements were mentioned in the press release!
12-06-2014, 09:04 PM   #743
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the DA*60-250 and DA*50-135 share the same hood : the PH-RBK67, just a fact. Prolly good savings in the long run, too, for dampening lens costs.

12-06-2014, 09:59 PM   #744
mee
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
That being said, the DA 20-40 was on sale about 3 months after it was released (same with the HD 55-300), and a year later it's almost $300 off. If I were a betting man, I'd say that in 6 months Pentax will have the 16-85 in the $600 range.
Perhaps one of the reasons for the lens price hikes a couple of years ago was to give Ricoh more leverage to 'lower' the price and thus seem like a better value.

I mean, it makes sense to me -- Have a product selling for 5 wurbles, ramp the price to 10 wurbles. Outrage! The people are furious. Ok, have a 'sale' and lower the price to 8 wurbles. Hey it's on sale!! And so some buy.

Over time, lower the general price to 8 wurbles and set a new 'sale' price of 6 wurbles. THIS THING IS CHEAP! And they buy in droves.

When, originally, it was even less. doh!
12-07-2014, 02:10 PM   #745

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Outrage! The people are furious
But in todays market,there's no reason to be furious for anyone? Folks simply leave Pentax instead, or are not entering Pentax. As simple as that, no fury
12-07-2014, 03:24 PM   #746
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Frater Quote
But in todays market,there's no reason to be furious for anyone? Folks simply leave Pentax instead, or are not entering Pentax. As simple as that, no fury
That's the case with most products, but not system cameras. When you buy into a system you make an investment and build up a pool of equipment. Now when the manufacturer suddenly yanks the prices up, you can of course simply leave the system, but you have to build up a new system, resulting in a financial loss.
12-07-2014, 03:35 PM   #747
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That's the case with most products, but not system cameras. When you buy into a system you make an investment and build up a pool of equipment. Now when the manufacturer suddenly yanks the prices up, you can of course simply leave the system, but you have to build up a new system, resulting in a financial loss.
That's the way it's suppose to be. Build up your system and grow into it. Jumping from one system to another is just simply too costly. People leave because they either see that they can't grow into it because the system cannot provide what they need or they see that the system will die.
12-07-2014, 04:01 PM   #748
Veteran Member

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
Well, if you see a good offer on the used market, I think it is possible to switch system without losing much money. The only thing is that you may have to go with what's for sale, instead of what you would want to have in an ideal world.
12-07-2014, 04:05 PM   #749
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Now when the manufacturer suddenly yanks the prices up, you can of course simply leave the system, but you have to build up a new system, resulting in a financial loss.
Unless you bought before the increase in which case you can sell your gear for more than you paid for it...........
12-07-2014, 04:31 PM   #750
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Unless you bought before the increase in which case you can sell your gear for more than you paid for it...........
Depend if you want to use it or not... because when it is sold... You can't use it anymore.

So if gear from other manufacturer didn't increase you can switch to one that is cheaper for the same and make a profit... That's true. It has to be not that obvious still or everybody would switch to the new manufactured and you might have difficulties keeping an interresting sale price.

My impression overall is that lenses are more advenced but also more expensive than before. before a screw drive f/2.8 lense was good. Now it has to have the AF motor inside, to be stabilised many time... And it to be more expensive.

Up to a point one has to carrefully look for used gear at good price to get nice fast high quality glass... because even on used market the new models are quite expensive !