Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 123 Likes Search this Thread
11-11-2014, 06:46 AM   #526
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have stumbled through 35 pages of questions and answers. Many have compared the 18-135 to the upcoming 16-85. What I have seen is the complaint about the 135 being soft on the long end. Maybe, just maybe the 16-85 will be strong on both ends. If it is, I would consider replacing my 17-70 Sigma. Just a little more on both ends and maybe even sharper.

11-11-2014, 06:58 AM   #527
Pentaxian

I like the red rings. It matches with black body and it makes the camera look like a mean machine. However, I do wish Pentax would make good weather sealing cameras and lenses with AW as a standard at the very least. It would be a very good selling point if they would guarantee their products' weather seal. This is the very reason why I chose Pentax. It sometimes rain during exciting festivals here in my country and it would be nice to go out in the rain and take photos without worrying about your equipment. If people would ask 'are you insane?' You can always say 'Why worry, it's a Pentax.'
11-11-2014, 10:52 AM   #528
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rimfiredude Quote
I have stumbled through 35 pages of questions and answers. Many have compared the 18-135 to the upcoming 16-85. What I have seen is the complaint about the 135 being soft on the long end. Maybe, just maybe the 16-85 will be strong on both ends. If it is, I would consider replacing my 17-70 Sigma. Just a little more on both ends and maybe even sharper.

If only it was a constant f/4 or even f/2.8-4. The HD coating and extra 2 mm at the wide end are compelling features but it's a bit pricey for the specs imo.
11-11-2014, 11:25 AM   #529
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by axelm7 Quote
If only it was a constant f/4 or even f/2.8-4. The HD coating and extra 2 mm at the wide end are compelling features but it's a bit pricey for the specs imo.
Don't give a flip about the price. If it was constant f/4 I would already have pre-ordered but with the specs, the attraction has largely disappeared. 85mm f/5.6????

I am sure it will be a fine lens and will sell well for it's intended purpose. Unfortunately I am not that purpose, and I am disappointed in that. Oh well...........

11-11-2014, 11:47 AM   #530
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Don't give a flip about the price. If it was constant f/4 I would already have pre-ordered but with the specs, the attraction has largely disappeared. 85mm f/5.6????

I am sure it will be a fine lens and will sell well for it's intended purpose. Unfortunately I am not that purpose, and I am disappointed in that. Oh well...........

Same here. I've been saving up for a lens that covers a decent zoom range and is reasonably fast. I'm still hopeful that the large DA* lens at Photokina is the long-rumoured 70-200 2.8. In that case I'll be saving up for longer, as we'll be looking at a $1500+ price.
11-11-2014, 02:10 PM   #531
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
If it was constant f/4 I would already have pre-ordered
Agreed. It's probably going to be a good optical performer, since they seem to have put effort into ensuring that, but they've made it a landscape and walkabout lens, not an event shooting lens.
11-11-2014, 02:31 PM   #532
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Agreed. It's probably going to be a good optical performer, since they seem to have put effort into ensuring that, but they've made it a landscape and walkabout lens, not an event shooting lens.
Isn't language fascinating? A simple re-framing (suitable metaphor) and suddenly something becomes acceptable, even if you don't want it, personally. So many times here, I read anguished condemnation of this or that piece of equipment, just because it doesn't suit someone's immediate or even just perceived needs or wants. Nicely put!

11-11-2014, 03:17 PM   #533
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
I do not see the need for this lens. It is range improvement over the da* 16-50 but it does not seem to have the IQ specs of that lens. Maybe I am missing something.
It's not meant to improve on the DA*, but on the DA 18-55 and/or the DA 18-135. It's a very interesting upgrade option for those with the 18-55 kit as it offers:

1) 16 mm wide-angle over 18 mm, which is quite a noticeable improvement for landscapes
2) 85 mm over 55 mm, gets you a bit closer
3) DC focussing - silent, better for WR because it's internal and possibly even faster
4) HD coating for better flare resistance
5) most likely better overall image quality, sharpness, resolution, corner sharpness etc.

The DA 18-55 II kit was released in late 2009 alongside the K7 which featured a 14 MP sensor. I think it only makes sense that Pentax has to up the ante with the DA zoom lenses for the K3's 24 MP sensor, so I'd be surprised if the 16-85 would not offer much better sharpness and resolution than the 18-55 and most likely also at least slightly better than the 18-135 - even though it has a smaller focal range it is larger and heavier than the 18-135.

If Pentax delivers everything I've listed above (and obviously only the fifth point is unsure), then I definitely see a market for this lens and I myself am definitely considering it.
11-11-2014, 03:24 PM   #534
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
It's not meant to improve on the DA*, but on the DA 18-55 and/or the DA 18-135. It's a very interesting upgrade option for those with the 18-55 kit as it offers:

1) 16 mm wide-angle over 18 mm, which is quite a noticeable improvement for landscapes
3) DC focussing - silent, better for WR because it's internal and possibly even faster
5) most likely better overall image quality, sharpness, resolution, corner sharpness etc.

The DA 18-55 II kit was released in late 2009 alongside the K7 which featured a 14 MP sensor. I think it only makes sense that Pentax has to up the ante with the DA zoom lenses for the K3's 24 MP sensor, so I'd be surprised if the 16-85 would not offer much better sharpness and resolution than the 18-55 and most likely also at least slightly better than the 18-135 - even though it has a smaller focal range it is larger and heavier than the 18-135.

If Pentax delivers everything I've listed above (and obviously only the fifth point is unsure), then I definitely see a market for this lens and I myself am definitely considering it.
Thanks. Makes sense.
11-11-2014, 03:27 PM   #535
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axelm7 Quote
Same here. I've been saving up for a lens that covers a decent zoom range and is reasonably fast. I'm still hopeful that the large DA* lens at Photokina is the long-rumoured 70-200 2.8. In that case I'll be saving up for longer, as we'll be looking at a $1500+ price.
Since Pentax and Ricoh seem to be in bed with Tokina, I would be willing to bet it will be a 70-200. Remember this one?
Attached Images

11-11-2014, 04:20 PM   #536
Veteran Member

I do wonder if pentax is negotiating with tokina for some of their optical designs, and that is affecting the FF chance. Pentax would instantly have several holes filled in their FF lineup if they can use tokina optical designs (especially the f2.8 ultra wides that makes tokina unique in the ultra wide market). Maybe the reason why the two mystery zooms cant be revealed yet is because the negotiations are not finalized. Tokina has a 70-200mm and a 80-400mm that look remarkably like the mystery zooms...its all speculation of course.

---------- Post added 11-11-14 at 06:26 PM ----------

Pentax glass is known for their sharp corners and well controlled aberrations. This combined with the Pentax SMC coating, is why landscape shooters like myself love Pentax. I think if they reach those theoretical MTFs shown on that curve on their website, it will equal or better the performance of the Nikon 16-85, which is a highly regarded lens even on the 24mp d7100.

11-11-2014, 04:32 PM   #537
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The patent for the the Pentax 70-200 was found by someone on the site, it's filed i 2012, has an image circle big enough for FF with in body shake reduction, and Tokina has nothing to do with it.
11-11-2014, 04:32 PM   #538
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rimfiredude Quote
Since Pentax and Ricoh seem to be in bed with Tokina, I would be willing to bet it will be a 70-200. Remember this one?
I'd say it has nothing to do with Tokina. Just because Pentax shared their optical lenses with Tokina doesn't means they are unable to design their own lenses
By the way, isn't that an old 80-200 f/2.8? Pentax is not into antiquities
11-11-2014, 05:10 PM   #539
Veteran Member

Well, I guess in two weeks we'll get first impressions and in about a month we'll have a pretty good picture of how the lense performs. Or how long does it take for major websites to post reviews for new lenses?
11-13-2014, 09:43 AM   #540

Well, I guess in two weeks we'll get first impressions and in about a month we'll have a pretty good picture of how the lense performs. Or how long does it take for major websites to post reviews for new lenses?
I'm waitng for the reviews too, I hope Ricoh (or Pentax) make this 16-85mm zoom a winner