Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
09-17-2014, 11:26 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If it's an updated FA*80-200, that'll be great. For one, that means Pentax may update the 28-70 and other lenses to DA*/WR as well.

09-17-2014, 11:34 AM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What does Pentax say...

QuoteQuote:
#1. Speaking of the new 18-85mm lens that's on display: do you know what kind of user will it be targeted at?

This new lens has been designed with compactness in mind, and it is easy to use, so our main target is users who are not satisfied with the kit lens only.

Read more at: PF Interview with Ricoh Imaging at Photokina 2014 - Photokina 2014 | PentaxForums.com
Really guys, make up all the stuff you want, but at least read the posted information first. The Kit lens is 18-55, The new lens is 2mm wider on the short end 30mm longer on the long end. it's an improvement, plain and simple, straight away and clear cut, discussion over, finished, tout finute, done, kaput, toast, ..

I suggest everyone read the interview, and we can go on from there without arguing stuff that's already beyond argument.
09-17-2014, 11:58 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I suggest everyone read the interview, and we can go on from there without arguing stuff that's already beyond argument.
Without arguments based on personal supposition, bad or no information, personal opinion (founded and unfounded), rumors (circular and otherwise), innuendo, trolling, ad hominem banter and general disagreement

what use would the Forum be?
09-17-2014, 12:31 PM   #34
Veteran Member

If this new 16-85mm has a DC motor and WR similar to the 18-135mm, then indeed it is an improvement over the existing 18-55mm kit lens. I imagine that it would be the new high-end kit lens for higher k-mount models.

09-17-2014, 01:04 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Without arguments based on personal supposition, bad or no information, personal opinion (founded and unfounded), rumors (circular and otherwise), innuendo, trolling, ad hominem banter and general disagreement

what use would the Forum be?
Ya, I agree, sounds pretty boring...
09-17-2014, 03:58 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by angus Quote
Latest news I heard or rather read here Photokina 2014 • Pentaxians :

"Lt. Aussage des Mitarbeiters ein 80 - 200 mit durchgängig 2.8 und ein 100 - 400 ohne Angabe der Lichtstärke." ~ according to a member of staff a 80-200 with constant 2.8 and a 100-400 without any information about the apertures.
the 100-400 most likely 4 or 4.5 -5.6,seems same size as Sigma or Canon equiv.
09-17-2014, 04:34 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Lenstip have just completed a review of the new Tokina FF 70-200 f4.

In looking at that lens, the design does bear a resemblance to the new Pentax 70-200 (complete with gold ring ). Given that Pentax and Tokina have worked closely before, a connection is not impossible between the two lenses. However, while the Tokina is (just) OK on resolution, it does seem to perform truly horribly on ghosting and flare, so I really hope Pentax went it's own way with the new lens. And f2.8 is nicer than f4.

Tokina AT-X PRO FX SD 70-200 f/4 VCM-S

09-17-2014, 04:56 PM   #38
Pentaxian

I hope they're all WR at the very least.
09-17-2014, 07:51 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
In looking at that lens, the design does bear a resemblance to the new Pentax 70-200 (complete with gold ring ). Given that Pentax and Tokina have worked closely before, a connection is not impossible between the two lenses. However, while the Tokina is (just) OK on resolution, it does seem to perform truly horribly on ghosting and flare, so I really hope Pentax went it's own way with the new lens. And f2.8 is nicer than f4.
To me the Tokina looks different... or maybe just packaged tighter. the new gold-ring Pentax has a straight ways fat barrel, no bulges or slim parts.

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
I hope they're all WR at the very least.
I think only one of three lenses released in Ricoh's time including the new 16-85 (except the HD updates to the Limiteds) were WR: the 20-40 Limited zoom and the DA 560. The 18-270 is a Tamron rebadge so we can count that out.
09-17-2014, 07:55 PM   #40
Veteran Member

The focus window is in the wrong place. I imagine that's a pretty big difference. Also, the Tokina has a 67mm filter size - which matches the DA*60-250. In another picture in this thread, it is likely that the new DA lens is wider than that.
09-17-2014, 09:03 PM   #41
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
What does Pentax say...

Really guys, make up all the stuff you want, but at least read the posted information first. The Kit lens is 18-55, The new lens is 2mm wider on the short end 30mm longer on the long end. it's an improvement, plain and simple, straight away and clear cut, discussion over, finished, tout finute, done, kaput, toast, ..
And the price 250USD - right? 18-55 WR is not bad lens optically.

I don't understand how the user could be glad for slow APS-C zoom...
09-17-2014, 09:14 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Because they see that it answers to a need/want they're looking for personally. For example, I may not see why some people would be happy lugging, say, a huge 85mm f1.2 than a portable 77 f1.8 for portraits. But then again, that's just me. What matters more is that both can shoot very good portraits, and both are available for purchase. The rest depends on the person at the back of the lens and camera.
09-17-2014, 09:48 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Because 80% of the market buys on price.

And most people don't shoot with fast apertures because the scenes they shoot are landscape and family.

The practical use of wide aperture glass is limited in the market.
09-17-2014, 09:53 PM   #44
Veteran Member

I did another size estimation of the gold-ring Pentax lens to another currently in the lineup, since their photos were shot in a more similar angle:

if my estimates here are close to real then there's a good chance it's really going to be a 70-200 f2.8
09-17-2014, 10:13 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Comparing the size of the mount caps to tube sizes of the Tokina & Pentax mockup I am compelled to point out that the Pentax "lens" is a good deal "fatter". It has to be an f/2.8 lens (or better )