Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
09-19-2014, 03:27 PM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
If any of you're interested, my K-mounted DG EX Sigma 50-500mm + TC x1.4 is on the shelve, ready to go for a good price...
Hi so tell me more or PM me..can't wait fro the 150-600 Sigma maybe K mount or Tamron never K mount,and when Pentax' is finally done maybe no birds left

09-19-2014, 06:19 PM   #77
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asahi man Quote
HD DFA* 70-200 / 2,8 ED AL (IF) SDM

not the current SDM
I wonder if Pentax is still working on how to market that new SDM engine without calling it SDM-II
09-19-2014, 06:33 PM   #78
Pentaxian

Motor Death Syndrome. MDS. Lol
09-20-2014, 11:47 PM   #79
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Still only rumours - the guys from Ricoh didn't want to commit themselves - still: It's supposedly a 70/80-200 at 2.8 and a 135/150-400 at 4-5.6, or knowing Pentax even 5.8 at the longer end. The lenses are supposedly DC-driven - no "revamped" SDM but the dates apart from the 16-85 (end of year) remain open. I compared to existing lenses and these two are really big beasts, so no way could the large aperture Zoom be anything less than a 2.8 and this was confirmed as far as confirmation went that day.

We were allowed behind the scenes but nothing more could be got from the very friendly staff.

Last edited by angus; 09-20-2014 at 11:48 PM. Reason: typo
09-21-2014, 06:32 AM   #80
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by angus Quote
no "revamped" SDM
Huh - interesting. Last week the story was a new SDM.
09-21-2014, 07:10 AM   #81
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Huh - interesting. Last week the story was a new SDM.
Angus said no revamped SDM, just DC (not exactly the same).
09-21-2014, 07:21 AM   #82
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Angus said no revamped SDM, just DC (not exactly the same).
I didn't mean angus said revamped SDM. It was someone else - who has a history of being correct fairly often. I am surprised is all.

On the other thread I postulated my other poster used SDM generically to define in-lens focus motor (but.he very clearly stated the name of the new lens, including SDM).

Whatever. We'll know when we know.

09-21-2014, 07:47 AM   #83
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I always suspected the issue was less the SDM rather than the surrounding assembly where tolerances exceeded the capabilities of the motors which themselves were within spec. SDM was especially prevalent with the new (then) WR push. The motors themselves may have been fine but they kept encountering beyond tolerance binding leading to premature failure.
09-21-2014, 08:03 AM - 2 Likes   #84
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
And the price 250USD - right? 18-55 WR is not bad lens optically.

I don't understand how the user could be glad for slow APS-C zoom...
Yes, yes, we know. It says Pentax on it, so it isn't worth buying.
Bye-bye.
09-21-2014, 09:32 AM   #85

Still only rumours - the guys from Ricoh didn't want to commit themselves - still: It's supposedly a 70/80-200 at 2.8 and a 135/150-400 at 4-5.6, or knowing Pentax even 5.8 at the longer end. The lenses are supposedly DC-driven - no "revamped" SDM but the dates apart from the 16-85 (end of year) remain open. I compared to existing lenses and these two are really big beasts, so no way could the large aperture Zoom be anything less than a 2.8 and this was confirmed as far as confirmation went that day.

We were allowed behind the scenes but nothing more could be got from the very friendly staff.
I was at photokina yesterday and got the same information there from one of the staff members. Also he mentioned the 70/80-200mm F2.8 will probably be around 2000-2500€ at launch and therefore a lot more expensive than the 60-250mm F4. All his personal guessing of course.
09-21-2014, 10:34 AM   #86
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
I always suspected the issue was less the SDM rather than the surrounding assembly where tolerances exceeded the capabilities of the motors which themselves were within spec. SDM was especially prevalent with the new (then) WR push. The motors themselves may have been fine but they kept encountering beyond tolerance binding leading to premature failure.
Well the guy said something about the fact that SDM uses a kind of gearbox vs. the ring motor in use for USM or HSM made it less powerful and hence slower and on top of that it was less reliable to start with - I#m not a technical geek so I am just rephrasing what he said, but to me it made sense.
09-21-2014, 12:19 PM   #87
Pentaxian

Well the guy said something about the fact that SDM uses a kind of gearbox vs. the ring motor in use for USM or HSM made it less powerful and hence slower and on top of that it was less reliable to start with - I#m not a technical geek so I am just rephrasing what he said, but to me it made sense.
Well it has a regular motor (like Canon micro motors which btw they market the same way as their regular USM, hum), nothing to do with regular USM/HSM/etc.
09-22-2014, 12:11 AM - 4 Likes   #88
Veteran Member

Back from Photokina and back to my "promise" (FWIW).

I measured both new tele lenses and got 20cm for the "70-200" (full length excl the rear cap) which from the size is indeed definitely a f/2.8, and 25cm for the long one. Both are massive, and what struck me most was their wide base (the diameter of the barrel near the mount). I don't know whether that means anything in terms of image circle?

When I jokingly asked to try them on my camera, the rep replied no (of course) and that they wouldn't work anyway because there's nothing much inside the barrels (except perhaps for the 16-85 which seems relatively close to release). Given the changes in the mock-up of the 60-250/4 over the years, I suspect we shouldn't conclude too much from the looks of the mock-ups as they are now? Contrary to the initial 60-250/4 mock-up the longest mock-up (=the one I'm most interested in) does have an attachment at the bottom for a tripod mount and there's a fourth(!) switch down there as well. Also the round shapes (some claim these are buttons, but I'm not sure about that) are found on all four cardinal points of the ring.

Anyway, I asked to try the DA560/5.6 instead. Thanks to SR, I managed to get an acceptably sharp image handheld, which I hadn't expected given the dark settings in the hall. Impressively build lens. The 645Z + 28-45 was a great tool to play with as well, though it struck me as a too heavy combination to handhold (the lens is particularly heavy).

One more thing on the lens front was the Samyangs I tried and found very nice, esp the 16/2 wide open. But that's getting off topic...

Wim
09-22-2014, 01:41 AM   #89
Pentaxian

Hy Wim, thanks for the feedback ; but do you mean DA560 + K-3 handheld is less a burden than DA28-45 + 645Z ??
09-22-2014, 02:25 AM   #90
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
(...)

Also the round shapes (some claim these are buttons, but I'm not sure about that) are found on all four cardinal points of the ring.

(...)
Thank you for your feedback. These four "round shapes" definitely look like focus-hold push-buttons, lenses from competitors are equipped the same way.