Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2014, 11:06 PM   #556
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 1,120
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
By the way, Sony's 5-axis in-body stabilisation works in conjunction with in-lens stabilisation when the lens is so equipped.
Yes, that is very interesting indeed. Is it for better stabilization, battery performance, or what?

11-21-2014, 12:10 AM   #557
Pentaxian
Mistral75's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Paris
Posts: 2,781
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
Yes, that is very interesting indeed. Is it for better stabilization, battery performance, or what?
I would say better performance with long lenses and improved user's experience: you don't need to switch between ILIS and IBIS when you swap lenses, the camera just adapts itself.
11-21-2014, 02:32 AM   #558
Lens Buying Addict
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,487
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I really think that Pentax needs to re-engage in mirrorless (larger than the Q) within the decade.
Over and above the development cost of the camera technology there's the manufacturing technology to consider.

To a manufacturer the benefit of MILC is a simpler, less expensive manufacturing process. That's a cost saving on a per-unit basis, once you've done the camera engineering, the process engineering, tested and proven the manufacturing concept and process, invested the capital in the new process and facilities and established enough product flow to amortize all the non-unit costs over a large number of units.

The question is whether Ricoh chooses to make all those investments for a small-market-share camera.
11-21-2014, 02:34 AM   #559
Lens Buying Addict
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,487
There's nothing new in the world.

The hinged LCD is the modern analog of a Refconverter. Wherever you would have used a 'Right Angle Finder' with a film camera (static tripod and odd body position work) you would use a hinged LCD today.

11-21-2014, 07:51 AM   #560
Site Supporter
reh321's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,732
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Over and above the development cost of the camera technology there's the manufacturing technology to consider.

To a manufacturer the benefit of MILC is a simpler, less expensive manufacturing process. That's a cost saving on a per-unit basis, once you've done the camera engineering, the process engineering, tested and proven the manufacturing concept and process, invested the capital in the new process and facilities and established enough product flow to amortize all the non-unit costs over a large number of units.

The question is whether Ricoh chooses to make all those investments for a small-market-share camera.
Part of the question is whether MILC remains small market.
I've been expecting a MILC tsunami to dominate the crop-sensor market, and (to push the metaphor) wash cameras like the K-50 away - so far it hasn't happened, but I hope that Pentax at least has a contingency plan if that were to happen.
11-21-2014, 09:03 AM   #561
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,615
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Part of the question is whether MILC remains small market.
I've been expecting a MILC tsunami to dominate the crop-sensor market, and (to push the metaphor) wash cameras like the K-50 away - so far it hasn't happened, but I hope that Pentax at least has a contingency plan if that were to happen.
With current technologies, there's a need for both.
While I prefer the live-view implementation on my K-01,
I use my K-50 for action photography.

It would be great to have a "mirrorless mode" on the DSLRs,
where the mirror would stay locked up
and its live view would function exactly like a mirrorless.
11-21-2014, 09:07 AM   #562
Pentaxian
JimmyDranox's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ploiesti, Romania
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,585
MILC vs DSLR? Why? IMO, both systems can coexist very well. Some people will prefer MILC, others DSLR. Simple.

Personally, I would like a FF MILC, if it has the size of a K-3, or a little bigger, like a Canon 7D, and if it has a fast enough EVF. Definitely, I don't like Sony A7 size and ergonomics. As everyone knows, tastes are very different.
11-21-2014, 09:50 AM   #563
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Southern Indiana
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 14,955
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
With current technologies, there's a need for both.
While I prefer the live-view implementation on my K-01,
I use my K-50 for action photography.

It would be great to have a "mirrorless mode" on the DSLRs,
where the mirror would stay locked up
and its live view would function exactly like a mirrorless.
Problem with that "mirrorless mode" on an SLR is that the viewfinder is dark. Having an EVF allows for that.

11-21-2014, 10:12 AM   #564
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,615
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Problem with that "mirrorless mode" on an SLR is that the viewfinder is dark.
No problem. In live view, the rear screen is the "viewfinder".
11-21-2014, 11:43 AM - 1 Like   #565
Lens Buying Addict
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,487
I do not forecast the imminent demise of full-size 4-Door sedans.

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
MILC vs DSLR? Why? IMO, both systems can coexist very well. Some people will prefer MILC, others DSLR. Simple.

Personally, I would like a FF MILC, if it has the size of a K-3, or a little bigger, like a Canon 7D, and if it has a fast enough EVF. Definitely, I don't like Sony A7 size and ergonomics. As everyone knows, tastes are very different.
My wife and I have aged out of the conservative, traditional child-rearing years. Our needs have changed. It's party time!!

I still like a black Full-Size 4-Door sedan and all the traditional roadworthiness, comfort and capacity it offers.

My wife just traded her 2004 Subaru small SUV for a blazingly brightly-colored, striped, jazzy Mini Cooper.

I'm sure they will joyfully coexist in our garage for many years to come.

I do not forecast the imminent demise of full-size 4-Door sedans.
11-24-2014, 02:04 AM   #566
Pentaxian
Clavius's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: De Klundert
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,115
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
My wife and I have aged out of the conservative, traditional child-rearing years. Our needs have changed. It's party time!!

I still like a black Full-Size 4-Door sedan and all the traditional roadworthiness, comfort and capacity it offers.

My wife just traded her 2004 Subaru small SUV for a blazingly brightly-colored, striped, jazzy Mini Cooper.

I'm sure they will joyfully coexist in our garage for many years to come.

I do not forecast the imminent demise of full-size 4-Door sedans.

Also, I think a current sensor like the one in the A7s would be even more at home in a DSLR in a MILC. With that sensor sensitivity and with the frame rates and long lens support of many DSLRs it would be a killer camera for dimly lit fast action occasions.
11-24-2014, 03:02 AM   #567
Veteran Member
eurostar's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Albareto, Italy
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 813
QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
Yes, that is very interesting indeed. Is it for better stabilization, battery performance, or what?
On a reflex, in-lens stabilization is better for the AF performance. On a stabie image, AF sensors work better. You can see for yourself with a Sigma OS lens on a Pentax. Stabilization works the same (I'd say SR is better) but the AF locks faster on a stable image in the viewfinder.

On a mirrorless I don't know, I'd say since the AF works on pixel, and you see in the EVF what the sensor is seeing, that shouldn't be any real advantage.
11-24-2014, 09:56 AM   #568
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 101
If Pentax wants to set themselves apart, I think they should go for a larger LCD, not necessarily a tilting LCD. Think about it - why is it that practically every camera on the market has an LCD that is around 3" or less? It makes no sense, especially on a MILC, where the LCD is the only tool you have for composing the scene. I know we all want smaller cameras, but I for one would like a bigger LCD. Much bigger! I think it is possible to make a small camera with a huge screen - you just have to move all the buttons to the top (or even the sides or front), so that every square millimeter on the back is LCD real estate.

My dream is a full-frame K-02 with a giant LCD. It would be unique and might be a good niche for Pentax. Picture a camera shaped like a roll of 110 film (when viewed from above). The tubes on the sides are of course symmetrical, so it would be easy to grip with one hand OR with 2 hands, for righties OR lefties. Dual batteries could go in the tubes. All the buttons up top. And a giant LCD screen on the back. I think landscapers would love it, and it should be great in a studio too. My $0.02. Just dreaming.
11-24-2014, 10:04 AM   #569
Pentaxian
Mistral75's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Paris
Posts: 2,781
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pericombobulation Quote
If Pentax wants to set themselves apart, I think they should go for a larger LCD, not necessarily a tilting LCD. Think about it - why is it that practically every camera on the market has an LCD that is around 3" or less? It makes no sense, especially on a MILC, where the LCD is the only tool you have for composing the scene. I know we all want smaller cameras, but I for one would like a bigger LCD. Much bigger! I think it is possible to make a small camera with a huge screen - you just have to move all the buttons to the top (or even the sides or front), so that every square millimeter on the back is LCD real estate.

My dream is a full-frame K-02 with a giant LCD. It would be unique and might be a good niche for Pentax. Picture a camera shaped like a roll of 110 film (when viewed from above). The tubes on the sides are of course symmetrical, so it would be easy to grip with one hand OR with 2 hands, for righties OR lefties. Dual batteries could go in the tubes. All the buttons up top. And a giant LCD screen on the back. I think landscapers would love it, and it should be great in a studio too. My $0.02. Just dreaming.
You should try a Samsung Galaxy NX and its 4.8" AMOLED screen.

11-24-2014, 10:34 AM   #570
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 101
Looks nice, but I'm not a big fan of touchscreens. And it's not FF. I know, I know, I'm fussy. :-)
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, chip, confusion, contax, da, development, ff, format, forum, frame, france, full-frame, imaging, k-mount, language, lenses, pella, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, photokina, pm, post, project, ricoh, steve, windows, word
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Photokina Predictions: Is the Pentax Full-Frame Coming? Adam Homepage & Official Pentax News 19 09-16-2014 04:43 PM
Another full frame Nikon DSLR camera coming for Photokina interested_observer Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 9 08-09-2014 05:34 PM
Surprise: New RX Full Frame camera with Black and White sensor coming late 2014? jogiba Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 10 07-07-2014 10:38 AM
Fuji will release a Full Frame X-PRO 2 in 2015! jogiba Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 8 04-06-2014 10:24 AM
Sony Full Frame mirrorless prototypes still being tested, coming in mid 2014 jogiba Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 17 02-17-2013 10:31 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:15 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top