Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 172 Likes Search this Thread
01-29-2015, 04:37 AM   #661
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
I see Olympus' new M-5 can do 40 mp using sensor shift. I always thought Pentax would be first to do that in a smaller-than-MF camera. Ah well....
I think that would certainly give more of a resolution boost than going from, say, 24 megapixel APS-C to 40 megapixel APS-C. Unfortunately, it is probably of limited value -- requiring a tripod and a pretty static scene with no wind or movement.

01-29-2015, 04:59 AM   #662
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think that would certainly give more of a resolution boost than going from, say, 24 megapixel APS-C to 40 megapixel APS-C. Unfortunately, it is probably of limited value -- requiring a tripod and a pretty static scene with no wind or movement.
For some people that would be 99% of their shooting conditions. This could be an extremely valuable feature for some.
01-29-2015, 06:14 AM - 1 Like   #663

I know a lot of you folks have high hopes, but I try to think of it this way: Pentax has an established MO. Everything but the kitchen sink for stills (and some token video functions) at a reasonable price. If FF launches this year, it'll be based somewhat off the 645Z formula. That's the closest they've come to FF recently so it makes sense to build off that engineering effort. Keep your wild fantasies in check!
01-29-2015, 06:31 AM   #664
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Remember! You read it first here folk!

With any luck it will take less time to bring to market than the original Pentax FF MZ-D prototype.*

Steve

* The MZ-D was announced at Photokina in the year 2000 and was never brought to market due (apparently) to issues with the chosen 6 Mpx Philips sensor. Yes, the year 2000, fully 14 years ago.
That MZ-D looks like it owes a lot to the design of the film-era MZ-S, especially the slant top with two lay-flat dials (innovative on the MZ-S and potentially useful), but it almost looks as though it has a built-in accessory base. There appears to be twist-and-pull slide-out battery compartment in the base, something perhaps necessitated by battery designs available in 2000 but not required today. More likely we'll see a larger grip to accommodate the battery and a much smaller base. Overall the MZ-D prototype is bulky - more like higher end Canikons than typical Pentax designs. I think our FF will be far more svelte, but I wouldn't mind seeing what they might do with the tilted top plate and the control array on it.

Sorry if this repeats observations and comments by others. It's a bit much to go through 45 pages of posts to read everything that's already been said.

01-29-2015, 07:08 AM   #665
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
MZ-D was exactly that: a digital MZ-S.
01-29-2015, 07:16 AM   #666
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
I still really really like that design. Take this design, make it smaller, use a current electronics and Sony FF sensor. Done...
01-29-2015, 07:21 AM   #667
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I still really really like that design. Take this design, make it smaller, use a current electronics and Sony FF sensor. Done...
I completely agree. Just add a back wheel for aperture control, a good ff sensor and I'm in.

01-29-2015, 07:38 AM   #668
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Actually, it was the other way around....
01-29-2015, 07:39 AM   #669
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For some people that would be 99% of their shooting conditions. This could be an extremely valuable feature for some.
I would use it some. I just don't think (a) I max out the resolution I get from a K3 with regard to printing/viewing size most of the time and (b) I am hit or miss with regard to tripod usage.

It certainly doesn't hurt to have the feature on the camera. If there was some kind of auto panorama, where you could take multiple photos and your camera would match them up and generate a single panorama file, that would increase resolution too. Wouldn't seem like that would be too hard to do, since they already have some kind of auto alignment feature with their HDR setting now.
01-29-2015, 07:45 AM   #670
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It certainly doesn't hurt to have the feature on the camera. If there was some kind of auto panorama, where you could take multiple photos and your camera would match them up and generate a single panorama file, that would increase resolution too. Wouldn't seem like that would be too hard to do, since they already have some kind of auto alignment feature with their HDR setting now.
Ah yes, my cellphone with its sucky lens, that I got free with my mobile phone subscription, does exactly that phenomically well. But my €1200,- DSLR can't. Seems rather strange.
01-29-2015, 08:26 AM   #671
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
EXCEPT: At least a tilting, better a tilt-swivel screen.
01-29-2015, 08:45 AM   #672
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
EXCEPT: At least a tilting, better a tilt-swivel screen.
You're right... and a proper eye-level viewfinder that works during video recording.