Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tan68 Quote
I thought it was the language of love
No, it is the language of diplomacy.

Steve

---------- Post added 09-16-14 at 06:19 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
the DA35 2.4 as a cut down version of the FA35
Except that the FA 35/2 is not soft in the corners, even on FF 35mm.

Steve

---------- Post added 09-16-14 at 06:20 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
The story of Pentax is a story of a totally wrong timing and bad management.
You apparently were not around when the K10D was released. It was an industry game changer and put Pentax back in the game.

Steve

09-16-2014, 06:22 PM   #167
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Remember! You read it first here folk!

With any luck it will take less time to bring to market than the original Pentax FF MZ-D prototype.*

Steve

* The MZ-D was announced at Photokina in the year 2000 and was never brought to market due (apparently) to issues with the chosen 6 Mpx Philips sensor. Yes, the year 2000, fully 14 years ago.
If they put it in that body I wouldn't cry about the wait.

Also:
QuoteQuote:
You apparently were not around when the K10D was released. It was an industry game changer and put Pentax back in the game.
That camera's why I'm here, anyway. Got a K20d before expected, but compared to probably having been wrestling with a Nikon D70 all these years, no regrets.
09-16-2014, 06:35 PM   #168
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
There are three interesting parts in the answer about FF.

Quote: ''This is a question that we cannot disclose, but as I said in the 645Z questions, we think that the 645Z is one of our answers toward the high-end of customers.

At the same time, we know that the full-frame market is growing. So, our engineers are engaged in the development of full-frames, but with the question of when to launch/release the product, we will want to carefully study the market trend.'' End quote.

that changes everything.. it's more than a piece of paper, it's production is going to happen, the only thing unknown right now is the release date, and the guy smiled big time when asked about the 645z flipping mirror making it onto other systems. There was a lot of info there. More than any other interview I've seen.
09-16-2014, 06:49 PM - 1 Like   #169
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
It's confirmed. It's under development, but the launch will depend of market condition.

PF Interview with Ricoh Imaging at Photokina 2014 - Photokina 2014 | PentaxForums.com

I think they may have said the exact same thing in the past. More or less. I really don't see the harm being a bit more specific. It would generate a lot of buzz about the brand,leading to more sales. It would keep a lot of current customers from jumping ship as well. Oh well, I am pretty sure it will come in the spring or early summer 2015. What is annoying is that they could of had a full frame camera out now and it would be excellent. They waited so long that only pentax users will buy it, had the timing been better they would have sold plenty to other users. Fine with me though I cant afford it right now anyway not to mention the lenses,yikes. It would be exciting though.

09-16-2014, 06:59 PM   #170
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The more I read this thread the more confusing it becomes when one considers this statement:

"Under Development"

I can think of a few meanings and none of them really tell anything about the current "development" stage for a FF camera.
So, here is my compilation of what, to me, "under development" could mean:

1. in development: they are actually developing something? What?
2. upcoming: most of the work has been done and they are waiting to release it?
3. in the works: still working at it.
4. being planned: that wouldn't surprise me.
5. being worked on: they still working on something.
6. in the pipeline: Oh Boy!
7. in progress: at what stage?
8. currently being conducted ?
9. elaborated ?
10. Built already and ready for a release ... ?

I'm out of here!
09-16-2014, 07:02 PM   #171
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
that changes everything.. it's more than a piece of paper, it's production is going to happen, the only thing unknown right now is the release date, and the guy smiled big time when asked about the 645z flipping mirror making it onto other systems. There was a lot of info there. More than any other interview I've seen.
I'm sure you meant "screen" (LCD) here.. right?

Re' the word "frames": Was that a translation error or was the interview in english? (I suppose I could watch the video to find out. )

I wouldn't be surprised if they are developing both mirrorless FF, DSLR and possibly a hybrid modular system tech which can be either. If one assumes that they won't release the camera/s until 2016 then they may well go with the mirrorless option and take advantage of the better tech' available at that time.
09-16-2014, 07:02 PM   #172
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
What is annoying is that they could of had a full frame camera out now and it would be excellent.
Agreed.

I think they have finally made the calculation that they gain more than they lose by making a FF. Having a FF in the lineup is insurance for them to cover how the market and DSLR technology may move in the medium term future.

Of course, it is also nice that a FF will give new and existing Pentax customers a long, vertical upgrade path now, all the way from Q to 645Z, without any missing steps in the ladder.

09-16-2014, 07:32 PM   #173
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I do think they got caught with their pants down with the FF push from the competitors.
Their answer is still largely ambiguous.
Whats "Under development"?

Under dev till we deem it good for 1 year of trials, then 1 year to tool up for mass production?
Under dev, to see if FF sensor works on K3 size body and if not, we reset under dev to the next year?
Under dev, by Marc Newson who is conceptualizing the new design which we will launch in conjunction with the new Hermes concept store in Beijing come 2020?

If I went for a customer meeting and gave such an answer, I would get a serious hammering and loose the business.
Its expected that customers will press for an actual commit date even if its buffered.
09-16-2014, 10:34 PM   #174
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
The more I read this thread the more confusing it becomes when one considers this statement:

"Under Development"

I can think of a few meanings and none of them really tell anything about the current "development" stage for a FF camera.
So, here is my compilation of what, to me, "under development" could mean:

1. in development: they are actually developing something? What?
2. upcoming: most of the work has been done and they are waiting to release it?
3. in the works: still working at it.
4. being planned: that wouldn't surprise me.
5. being worked on: they still working on something.
6. in the pipeline: Oh Boy!
7. in progress: at what stage?
8. currently being conducted ?
9. elaborated ?
10. Built already and ready for a release ... ?

I'm out of here!
The following is asahi man's answer in Digital Photography Review forum:
QuoteOriginally posted by asahi man:
Under development... in good old Nikon and Pentax speak, it means, is in production.

I am sure, we see the camera in 6 till 8 month.

Now we have the 2 new lenses for fullframe and March, April we hold it in the hand.

Later than the body in the other hand.

Best regards
09-16-2014, 10:40 PM   #175
Veteran Member

Weren't they "touching base with a FF sensor supplier" with the interview of previous years? I'll believe when I see it.
09-16-2014, 10:45 PM   #176
Veteran Member

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me, what ... seven times...
09-16-2014, 11:08 PM   #177
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
The following is asahi man's answer in Digital Photography Review forum:
I've not been a FF troll, but I've made it a point to keep my FF lens set in the hopes that there would be a FF in the K mount future. With my luck, I suppose it will abandon the Kmount so they can bulld a mirrorless FF about half in inch thick, but barring a branch in the road like that, I'm going to be a pretty happy cat with my long lenses, and FA macros.

Last edited by rvannatta; 09-16-2014 at 11:42 PM.
09-16-2014, 11:10 PM   #178
Pentaxian

So that was a real disappointing interview. Nothing new. Oh well. The only thing that gives me a little hope for FF are the French comments on FB and what we think are two FF zooms.. I'll give in and wait till CP+, but I know many are bailing now.. Ricoh's own fault.
09-16-2014, 11:30 PM   #179
Veteran Member

All this Pentax going FF talk is just hokum. Ricoh reps have precisely given the same answers that Pentax under Hoya had for all these years. With the ever shrinking DSLR market, selling "ANY" kind of DSLR is a challenge. Forget about a niche like FF. Any average consumer is turned off by the heft and price of camera gear. FF has BOTH!
Why would Ricoh invest all its limited resources into developing a DSLR (a FF) which few (except forum wannabes like us) are even gonna consider? It doesnt make business sense. Ricoh put resources behind 645Z and it is doing ok according to the reps.
Have you seen the stills and video capability of the iPhone 6/6+? Just imagine if Apple next year comes out with a 'weather sealed/proof' iPhone? It is gonna take business away from the GoPros of the world. I guess Pentax it seems is gonna be content with being the least innovative/most conservative camera manufacturer even 5 years from now. Thats just the way it is.

But as long as they are profitable and confident of sustaining that profitability, it doesnt matter.
Does innovation contribute towards market position? Not always. Case in point : Sony DSLRs. Sony is at the forefront of so many innovations. I am not talking about 1 or 2 years. Like 10 years now. They are having a tough time wrestling market share from Canon/Nikon et all! Being innovative doesnt pay always.

So what is the future of Pentax DSLRs? Should you invest in Pentax gear? Well..until that decision arrives and whenever that time is....I am off taking pictures
09-16-2014, 11:46 PM - 2 Likes   #180
Veteran Member

Ricoh seems real serious about supporting the K-mount. I'm happy to know all my K-mount lenses will be supported by the endless supply of K3, K5IIs, K50, K30 that will be up for grabs when everyone upgrades to FF.