Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 172 Likes Search this Thread
09-17-2014, 07:03 PM   #271
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Of course. FF by itself will not be a 'magic bullet' for Pentax. But it gives them options,
I tend to agree, a k-3 version of FF (barring any technical difficulties) may be able to spark a fire....

09-17-2014, 07:10 PM - 1 Like   #272
mee
Veteran Member

I'm hoping it won't be mirrorless.. if it ever is.

At least the first one, I would like a K-3 with a FF sensor.. and actual tethering (with a wire) support. As well as Adobe to work with it to get support in LR.

I'm still skeptical of Pentax releasing an EVF that can exceed the quality out of their OVF today. The company seems to pride itself in it's OVF so I don't see them scraping that on the first digital FF body.

The only major plus I'd see to going mirrorless is potential massive Frame rate bursts.
09-17-2014, 07:16 PM - 1 Like   #273
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I feel pretty much the same way. My decision to not buy a Sony A7 had nothing to do with it not being a Pentax. The EVF made me dizzy and gave me a headache.

Steve
09-17-2014, 10:49 PM   #274
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I've been to Photokina today and spoke with a lot of people from a lot of companies. I expressed that I had hoped to see an FF model from Pentax and multiple times I got extremely encouraging hints that the FF model is coming.

Additionally, one just needs to look at the size of the new "mystery" zooms to realise that these cannot possibly be just APS-C lenses.

In summary, while I was disappointed to not see an FF model at Photokina, I think it would be a huge surprise if the FF model weren't released sometime in 2015. People actually agreed with my statement that if the release is much more delayed then they might as well not do it at all.

P.S.: I had the pleasure and honour to meet Mr. Hiraku Kawauchi and Mr. Kazunobu Saiki in person and talk to them for a while. They are extremely polite and kind gentlemen who took time to listen to me. It took a moment to get my point fully across but they were so kind and made sure that they understood what I had to say and I very much thank them for that.
Very nice to hear, especially about the two Pentax men. I do like to actually hear about the human element at Ricoh/Pentax. We can easily see the output (products), but rarely/never get to see the people behind the brand. I am not so jaded as to think that their attitude is just a front--Pentax does strike me as "the photographer's company".

09-17-2014, 11:26 PM   #275
ogl
Banned

Nothing is confirmed. This thread is lie.
09-17-2014, 11:39 PM   #276
Pentaxian

Not lie yet, but speculation.
09-18-2014, 12:20 AM   #277
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Nothing is confirmed. This thread is lie.
That they are working on a full frame camera is not a lie. Anything beyond that fact however, is pure speculation.

09-18-2014, 12:29 AM   #278
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The EVF made me dizzy and gave me a headache.
I just spent a few hours playing with a Canon Powershot SX50 superzoom, peering through it's EVF. I know what you mean. Colour rendition was awful too.

Even high quality EVF's like the external Sony FDAEV1S on my NEX produce dizziness and eye fatigue after moderate use. Perhaps because my Sony EVF doesn't seem to like people who wear prescription glasses.

EVF's keep on getting better, certainly, but I would personally be happy if Pentax didn't rush to make a serious camera that had an EVF as the only viewfinder option.
09-18-2014, 02:13 AM   #279
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Even high quality EVF's like the external Sony FDAEV1S on my NEX produce dizziness and eye fatigue after moderate use. Perhaps because my Sony EVF doesn't seem to like people who wear prescription glasses.

EVF's keep on getting better, certainly, but I would personally be happy if Pentax didn't rush to make a serious camera that had an EVF as the only viewfinder option.
I wasn't a fan of EVFs, having tried a few in the local camera shop (Fuji and Sony), but despite that, I bought into the micro four thirds system with a Panasonic GX7 (don't worry, my Pentax system isn't going anywhere). I don't find the EVF of the GX7 too bad, even as a spectacle wearer, but I think the point of it really is to use when the rear LCD can't be seen clearly, e.g., when in bright sunlight. So, I see it as a supplement to the rear screen, not a replacement. The fact that the screen tilts is a help, too. Also, I don't find it gives me headaches, like with some people. This is far from saying that I've become a convert - I still much prefer the OVF of my K-3, but it wasn't as bad an experience as I feared. I'd love the option of an EVF on my Q series cameras, of which I'm very fond.
09-18-2014, 02:39 AM - 1 Like   #280
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Ok, I may have spread a bit of negativity now.

The strong point of Pentax is they know a thing or two about making cameras which are fun to use. They have a future if they play smart enough. What I wanted to stress though is that having an FF too won't be enough anymore for Pentax at this moment in time. Which doesn't mean they shouldn't still go for it.
I think it is a mistake to think that Pentax is in trouble just because they choose to remain a relatively small player in the market. Canon and Nikon have more risk in a sense, because they are bigger and have responded much slower to market shifts -- they continue to over produce SLRs and end up having to discount them heavily and sell their cameras against their own previous lines. As long as Ricoh understands what their market volume will be and manufactures accordingly, they are in good shape.

Asia is also a growing market, as compared to the relatively mature markets in Europe and North America. If they can have a solid presence there, even if North America is an after thought, they will do well.
09-18-2014, 02:49 AM   #281
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
I wasn't a fan of EVFs, having tried a few in the local camera shop (Fuji and Sony), but despite that, I bought into the micro four thirds system with a Panasonic GX7 (don't worry, my Pentax system isn't going anywhere). I don't find the EVF of the GX7 too bad, even as a spectacle wearer, but I think the point of it really is to use when the rear LCD can't be seen clearly, e.g., when in bright sunlight. So, I see it as a supplement to the rear screen, not a replacement. The fact that the screen tilts is a help, too. Also, I don't find it gives me headaches, like with some people. This is far from saying that I've become a convert - I still much prefer the OVF of my K-3, but it wasn't as bad an experience as I feared. I'd love the option of an EVF on my Q series cameras, of which I'm very fond.
This is very different for each and every person it seems. I myself don't wear glasses or lenses. I find the OVF's, even of old film cameras, very grainy and dark. Which strains my eye. I keep looking at the grains produced by the focussing screen instead of the actual image that is displayed behind that shroud. Whilst the "grains" (pixels) of modern EVFs have become to small to notice. And the brightness of EVFs is fantastic. They can dump the back LCD screen and replace it with a good link to smartphone for all I care. Just to save a little space, cost, and to put more tactile buttons there. For image review and sorts. (Who needs a tilting/rotating back LCD screen when you can look at the display of your camera, via your smart device at 20 meters distance?)
09-18-2014, 03:33 AM   #282

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote

At least the first one, I would like a K-3 with a FF sensor.. and actual tethering (with a wire) support. As well as Adobe to work with it to get support in LR.

I'm still skeptical of Pentax releasing an EVF that can exceed the quality out of their OVF today. The company seems to pride itself in it's OVF so I don't see them scraping that on the first digital FF body.

The only major plus I'd see to going mirrorless is potential massive Frame rate bursts.
At first, I thought like you about FF = K3 + FF sensor.
BUT in fact, I think they have to work A LOT on the AF which is not so good compared to other brand...

Same thing with the Mirrorless factor: Before seeing the Samsung NX1, I believed "mirror" was necessary. But now I see that "no mirror" allow greater possibilities in AF like combining phase and contrast and so allow a better precision.

Wait and see but Ricoh want to make something different, I hope it will be and hope it's gonna be a beast :-)
09-18-2014, 03:50 AM   #283
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
That they are working on a full frame camera is not a lie. Anything beyond that fact however, is pure speculation.
Did you see how they work? And who?
09-18-2014, 04:10 AM - 2 Likes   #284
Pentaxian

I'd imagine they have a big box with spare parts that they try to fit together until it becomes a full frame camera.
09-18-2014, 04:28 AM   #285

They said they work on it. They said they didn't know when to release it, which implied it WILL BE released. Personnaly I don't need more.