Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 172 Likes Search this Thread
11-10-2014, 08:14 PM   #511
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use Aperture , and it's possible... but, I always try and maintain resolution. The software I've tried hasn't impressed me, but then I haven't spent much time with them either.

11-11-2014, 10:54 AM   #512
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
TBH I normally use Photoshop CS 5.5.

Topaz Denoise is probably the best alternative to DxO's prime NR and it runs as a PS plug-in. It's much, much better than either LR's or Photoshop's current NR algorithms.
11-11-2014, 10:58 AM   #513
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by axelm7 Quote
Topaz Denoise is probably the best alternative to DxO's prime NR and it runs as a PS plug-in. It's much, much better than either LR's or Photoshop's current NR algorithms.
Are there any examples that prove this? I don't dispute it, it's just that It's harder than it should be to find examples of the same image processed with different software.
11-11-2014, 11:29 AM   #514
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Are there any examples that prove this? I don't dispute it, it's just that It's harder than it should be to find examples of the same image processed with different software.

There are next to none of those comparison images you seek. Its capabilities are really much much better, though. I think its strength comes from the fact that you can get a sharp, noise-free shot from the Topaz plugin while conserving details and textures. Photoshop can certainly handle noise reduction, but it can't preserve the detail and sharpness as well as the Topaz plugin. Not even close. And let's not talk about LR5's denoising capabilities, which I consider to be the poorest of the three.

11-11-2014, 12:27 PM   #515
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have both Topaz Denoise and Clarity, but haven't used them much.
11-11-2014, 02:00 PM - 1 Like   #516
Veteran Member

Capture One and Lightroom have decent enough NR capabilities built-in, but they also have the ability to apply selective adjustments (including for noise), which can be very handy.

DxO, unfortunately, does not do selective adjustments, so if you have an image with a noisy background but you want to retain detail on the foreground subject, DxO will hit the whole image with the same level of NR. Not always welcome. Have to export out of DxO without NR sometimes, then use another tool. DxO doesn't support plugins either, (although DxO itself can function as one to LR and PS).
11-11-2014, 02:24 PM   #517
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Capture One and Lightroom have decent enough NR capabilities built-in, but they also have the ability to apply selective adjustments (including for noise), which can be very handy.

DxO, unfortunately, does not do selective adjustments, so if you have an image with a noisy background but you want to retain detail on the foreground subject, DxO will hit the whole image with the same level of NR. Not always welcome. Have to export out of DxO without NR sometimes, then use another tool. DxO doesn't support plugins either, (although DxO itself can function as one to LR and PS).
The situation doesn't happen very often but what I usually do in that case is select the background, gaussian blur it, and then apply the NR. Looks better than selectively denoising an image imo.

11-11-2014, 04:23 PM   #518
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axelm7 Quote
Looks better than selectively denoising an image imo.
It depends. If I have a close shot of a bird that occupies 60% of the frame, but some darker, noisy shadows behind it, the body of the bird might get no NR, while the shadows will get the NR (and maybe less clarity) brushed onto them in LR or C1.
Similar outcome, different process I guess.
11-11-2014, 04:41 PM   #519
Pentaxian

It depends. If I have a close shot of a bird that occupies 60% of the frame, but some darker, noisy shadows behind it, the body of the bird might get no NR, while the shadows will get the NR (and maybe less clarity) brushed onto them in LR or C1.
Similar outcome, different process I guess.
I do that for any bird shots, many are taken 800-1600 ISO and have visible noise in the out of focus areas. I simply can't tolerate that, but a little noise on the bird itself is not that noticeable.

Case in point...

The noise in the OOF areas is totally eliminated, only very mild NR applied to the bird.
11-15-2014, 07:04 AM   #520
Veteran Member

I thought the topaz denoise was great, but really didnt like that its not integrated and has to be used before processing, unlike the regular LR NR which is woven into the PP. I would buy the Topaz thing if they improve this
11-15-2014, 08:38 AM   #521
ogl
Banned

The best NR is DXO PRIME. Recommend it.
11-15-2014, 11:30 AM   #522
Veteran Member

I have Topaz Denoise but never really liked it. LR's NR is so convenient, and the slider masking (referred to above) that eliminates sharpening from most background areas is so effortless. If one wants to use a brush for sharpening instead - also avail.
11-15-2014, 02:02 PM   #523
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I have Topaz Denoise but never really liked it. LR's NR is so convenient, and the slider masking (referred to above) that eliminates sharpening from most background areas is so effortless. If one wants to use a brush for sharpening instead - also avail.
Glad to see others have the same experience. I have the Topaz suite but it is just so much easier and usually enough to just use LR without having to wait for Topaz to load and return.
11-16-2014, 07:01 AM - 6 Likes   #524
Pentaxian

Original Poster
In Ricoh's so-called 'VIP lounge' at the French Salon de la Photo, we were (again) told by Ricoh Imaging Europe executives that Ricoh will announce a 24x36 Pentax camera next year.
11-16-2014, 07:26 AM   #525
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
In Ricoh's so-called 'VIP lounge' at the French Salon de la Photo, we were (again) told by Ricoh Imaging Europe executives that Ricoh will announce a 24x36 Pentax camera next year.
Thank you for some on-topic info.