Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2014, 05:07 AM   #541
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's an interesting thread, I like reading about new technologies and announcements, types of sensors etc.

I'm sure I will not be able to afford the elusive FF once it's released, but it's still interesting to guess what will this new body have in terms of features, Mpx and whatnot.

11-19-2014, 05:31 AM   #542

FF Pentax

At my previous job I had quite close contacts with Canon, Nikon and Ricoh. Thanks to the good relationship, I had the chance to test some good FF cameras, for example Canon EOS 5 Mk-II (I used one for some 2 years at work), Mk-III and EOS 1Dx. Also tried some comparable Nikons as well. When the new Pentax FF comes out, I'll need to find some reason to visit the good-old business partners and ask a camera to take a test...
11-19-2014, 07:46 PM   #543
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ZeljkoS Quote
I got an impression that people prefer normal pentaprism to EVF? Something about a more natural feeling and being able to track fast movement while shooting bursts
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It depends on who you listen to. There is a group of folks that feel that EVFs are the wave of the future -- they have focusing aids built in, you can see more clearly in dark situations. There is another group of more traditional photographers that feel that EVFs waste battery life and that the lag they have makes them not usable.

I don't really care that much, although I do get some eye strain when I use an EVF for too long. But I think it is clear that Pentax is going to keep the K mount and use an optical viewfinder.

My point was more about the fact that people on the forum are never satisfied. There is always room to complain.
Is it that people on the forum are never satisfied, or is it that people in the world are never satisfied

My fear is that companies who don't get into mirrorless will face an economic disadvantage both in the costs of manufacture and in marketplace attractiveness. But i could be totally wrong; there are companies like Leica that have found a niche and confound the experts by their properity.

Henri Cartier Bresson said that photographers are historians. I've never desired to be an historian, but i fear that i've become one somehow. When i was advocating a few years back for Pentax to put tilting LCDs on their cameras, the answer was NO - not needed - no self-respecting...etc. Now suddenly tilting LCDs have become respectable with Pentax putting one on their 645Z and Nikon putting one on the D750. Eventually i got tired of waiting after the K01 was discontinued, i just went out and bought Sony Nex cameras with their tilting screens - took a lot less energy than advocating on forums (is advocating the same as complaining - i don't know)

My point is that if someone doesn't see what they want with any camera company, just go out and buy the company that has what you want. Thats what i did eventually and now i have 2 systems :-)
11-19-2014, 08:57 PM   #544
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Is it that people on the forum are never satisfied, or is it that people in the world are never satisfied

My fear is that companies who don't get into mirrorless will face an economic disadvantage both in the costs of manufacture and in marketplace attractiveness. But i could be totally wrong; there are companies like Leica that have found a niche and confound the experts by their properity.

Henri Cartier Bresson said that photographers are historians. I've never desired to be an historian, but i fear that i've become one somehow. When i was advocating a few years back for Pentax to put tilting LCDs on their cameras, the answer was NO - not needed - no self-respecting...etc. Now suddenly tilting LCDs have become respectable with Pentax putting one on their 645Z and Nikon putting one on the D750. Eventually i got tired of waiting after the K01 was discontinued, i just went out and bought Sony Nex cameras with their tilting screens - took a lot less energy than advocating on forums (is advocating the same as complaining - i don't know)

My point is that if someone doesn't see what they want with any camera company, just go out and buy the company that has what you want. Thats what i did eventually and now i have 2 systems :-)
Remember, though, it was just a decade ago that Leica was struggling so badly they were on the verge of bankruptcy. They had to make concessions to doing things just like everybody else.

I really think that Pentax needs to re-engage in mirrorless (larger than the Q) within the decade.

11-19-2014, 10:01 PM   #545
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Remember, though, it was just a decade ago that Leica was struggling so badly they were on the verge of bankruptcy. They had to make concessions to doing things just like everybody else.

I really think that Pentax needs to re-engage in mirrorless (larger than the Q) within the decade.
Once i bought into the Nex cameras, i started finding stuff that Pentax does better No one company has all the good ideas. It should be possible to build a mirrorless Pentax but with the existing K-mount. I think that would be a popular model, plus it would allow some lower costs for a premium model.
11-19-2014, 11:12 PM   #546
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Once i bought into the Nex cameras, i started finding stuff that Pentax does better No one company has all the good ideas. It should be possible to build a mirrorless Pentax but with the existing K-mount. I think that would be a popular model, plus it would allow some lower costs for a premium model.
You mean like my beloved K-01?
11-20-2014, 01:44 AM   #547
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Ricoh will IMO (not Pentax), kind of a MILC GR.
Should be the next big challenge after FF.
Q is doing OK where relevant.
645 is doing OK were relevant.

11-20-2014, 05:56 AM   #548
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
You mean like my beloved K-01?
Oh no... not again...

I think the whole K-01 story would have had a different ending if they would have released with the rumored inbody protruding lenses straight away. It would have at least make people understand the concept.
11-20-2014, 06:14 AM   #549
Veteran Member

And a realistic launch price...
11-20-2014, 07:05 AM - 1 Like   #550
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Taking into account the announcement by Sony of their Alpha 7 II with 5-axis in-body stabilisation this morning, I am hopeful that the 24x36 Pentax DSLR Ricoh are going to announce next year will be quite compact: have you noticed how small the Alpha 7 II is and how tiny its sensor module in spite of the stabilisation mechanism?

By the way, Sony's 5-axis in-body stabilisation works in conjunction with in-lens stabilisation when the lens is so equipped.

Therefore, those of us who have stated in this forum that the two Pentax long zoom lenses, the mock-ups of which were on display at Photokina, would enjoy in-lens stabilisation (the proof being not in the pudding but in some patent) might eventually be right .
11-20-2014, 07:46 AM   #551
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Taking into account the announcement by Sony of their Alpha 7 II with 5-axis in-body stabilisation this morning, I am hopeful that the 24x36 Pentax DSLR Ricoh are going to announce next year will be quite compact: have you noticed how small the Alpha 7 II is and how tiny its sensor module in spite of the stabilisation mechanism?.
Hard to judge size, but I find the K-3 big. It is significantly heavier and somewhat larger than the K-7. So it obviously take space to process many megapixels. A larger sensor won't help, but I hope for a compact body. I'm not sure that Sonys in body stabilization relates to Pentax in any way. It could be differences in lens mounts (diametre) and (older) lens designs that make in body stabilization more or less feasible. In addition, in-lens-stabilization give excuses for buying new FF lenses.

Last edited by Pål Jensen; 11-20-2014 at 08:00 AM.
11-20-2014, 08:06 AM   #552
Pentaxian

Henri Cartier Bresson said that photographers are historians. I've never desired to be an historian, but i fear that i've become one somehow. When i was advocating a few years back for Pentax to put tilting LCDs on their cameras, the answer was NO - not needed - no self-respecting...etc. Now suddenly tilting LCDs have become respectable with Pentax putting one on their 645Z and Nikon putting one on the D750.
I don't think he meant that
I can't speak for others, but I'm one of those not needing a tilting LCD; at the same time, if implemented I might take advantage of it, now and then.
On a smaller camera, disregarding possible reliability issues I'm a bit worried it would impact camera size/LCD size/button arrangement. I'd rather not have it, if it means moving controls in hard to reach positions. On the 645Z, that's not an issue - there's plenty of space.
In any case, it's not a make or break situation.
11-20-2014, 08:16 AM   #553
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I don't think he meant that
I can't speak for others, but I'm one of those not needing a tilting LCD; at the same time, if implemented I might take advantage of it, now and then.
On a smaller camera, disregarding possible reliability issues I'm a bit worried it would impact camera size/LCD size/button arrangement. I'd rather not have it, if it means moving controls in hard to reach positions. On the 645Z, that's not an issue - there's plenty of space.
In any case, it's not a make or break situation.
There are two circumstances in which I might have used a tilting LCD in the past:

(1) in a crowd, holding the camera above my head
... but the newest cameras allow you to see the LCD from such extreme angles, that this may no longer be relevant

(2) looking down, fiddling with my camera, while inconspicuously taking a picture

But, as you already said, I certainly don't consider the absence of tilt to be a deal-breaker.
11-20-2014, 08:20 AM   #554
Veteran Member

One of my other cameras has the tilting screen. It wasn't a deciding factor at all. It was just there.

Do I need one? No.

Do I use it? Sure, it's certainly a nice feature to have .

But it wouldn't have been a deal breaker if it hasn't been there.

Oh and by the way, the camera is weather sealed...
11-20-2014, 09:26 AM   #555
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Oh no... not again...

I think the whole K-01 story would have had a different ending if they would have released with the rumored inbody protruding lenses straight away. It would have at least make people understand the concept.
QuoteOriginally posted by mamethot Quote
And a realistic launch price...
Sorry, sometimes I just can't help myself.