Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2008, 10:59 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax powered by Microsoft..

Are we going to see a "BOB" DSLR?
Microsoft Bob - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Pixel mapping powered by Vista????
What does it all mean??? Pentax teaming w/ the evil empire is a bit scarey...
Microsoft and HOYA Enter Into Patent Cross-Licensing Agreement Covering Digital Cameras and Other Consumer Products
Microsoft Corp. and HOYA CORPORATION PENTAX Imaging Systems Division have signed a patent cross-licensing agreement to further the development of each
company's current and future product lines, which will expand technological
innovation and enhance the overall customer and consumer experience.
The agreement covers digital cameras made by PENTAX as well as a broad
range of other consumer products each company manufactures and sells.

Although the contents of the agreement, including the specific financial
terms, have not been disclosed, the parties indicated that Microsoft is
being compensated by PENTAX.

Just for fun. MS has a few in the top 25:
PC World - The 25 Worst Tech Products of All Time

Last edited by jeffkrol; 05-12-2008 at 11:10 PM.
05-13-2008, 02:29 AM   #2

What's wrong with Microsoft helping develop technologies to further digital imagery? I see this as a good thing, Microsoft has a lot of R&D power.
05-13-2008, 03:22 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Good find!

The press release contains the sentence:
"the parties indicated that Microsoft is being compensated by PENTAX."
The Microsoft IP website states:
  • License protocols, standards, file formats and other technology from our Interoperability IP Licensing Program
  • License component technologies for a wide variety of applications through our Component IP Licensing Program
  • Technologies created by Microsoft Research scientists are available for exclusive licensing or spin-out
So, Pentax probably just bought a software license from MS
05-13-2008, 03:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Perhaps this just means that there will be a codec soon to show Pentax RAW files in Windows... as is already the case with the bIg two.

Wim

05-13-2008, 03:42 AM   #5
Veteran Member

RUMOR ALERT!!! RUMOR ALERT!!!!!

Complete speculation on my part.... Just a fair warning....

I think this would make sense with all the "full frame"/20+MP stuff floating around. Microsoft's HD-JPEG replacement is called JPEG-XR. A single format that supposedly has better compression than JPEG but without the inherent loss? Also same file format can be used for "lossless" image capture from digital sensors? Here are the main highlights from MS:

• It can store 16 or 32 bits of data for each color, compared with JPEG's 8 bits, making it easier to discern shadow details or the subtle tonal variations of snow in sunlight.

• It compresses data twice as efficiently as JPEG, with either twice the quality at a given file size or half the file size at a given quality.

• It's designed to work well in camera image-processing chips, and to reduce memory requirements, it encodes images chunk by chunk without having to store the complete image at one time.

PEF? DNG? JPEG-XR? Guess which one of these is already supported in Vista?
05-13-2008, 03:44 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Perhaps this just means that there will be a codec soon to show Pentax RAW files in Windows... as is already the case with the bIg two.

Wim
I didn't think of that Wim, but that seems like a good bet, especially since MS is being paid by Pentax.

NaCl(I don't see it as bad news)H2O
05-13-2008, 03:44 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
You know that there already is, right?

See this page http://www.microsoft.com/prophoto/downloads/codecs.aspx and follow the link to Pentax imaging. The codec is Vista only and doesn't support the K20.

05-13-2008, 04:09 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MrApollinax Quote
I think this would make sense with all the "full frame"/20+MP stuff floating around. Microsoft's HD-JPEG replacement is called JPEG-XR.
Presuming Microsoft makes good on their stated intention to make this a real open standard, this would be awesome news.
05-13-2008, 04:23 AM   #9
Busiko

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
Are we going to see a "BOB" DSLR?
Microsoft Bob - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Pixel mapping powered by Vista????
What does it all mean??? Pentax teaming w/ the evil empire is a bit scarey...
Microsoft and HOYA Enter Into Patent Cross-Licensing Agreement Covering Digital Cameras and Other Consumer Products
Microsoft Corp. and HOYA CORPORATION PENTAX Imaging Systems Division have signed a patent cross-licensing agreement to further the development of each
company's current and future product lines, which will expand technological
innovation and enhance the overall customer and consumer experience.
The agreement covers digital cameras made by PENTAX as well as a broad
range of other consumer products each company manufactures and sells.

Although the contents of the agreement, including the specific financial
terms, have not been disclosed, the parties indicated that Microsoft is
being compensated by PENTAX.

Just for fun. MS has a few in the top 25:
PC World - The 25 Worst Tech Products of All Time

That's very good news. After all we are well used to those nice blue screens.
05-13-2008, 05:03 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cpopham Quote
You know that there already is, right?

See this page Microsoft Pro Photo: Codecs and follow the link to Pentax imaging. The codec is Vista only and doesn't support the K20.
One of the bothersome things is why not port these backwards? Why the refusal to add this to XP, or other OS iterations (OK a Codec for Win 98SE is silly to some).
Is it technological or marketing decision???? My guess, just marketing.

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Presuming Microsoft makes good on their stated intention to make this a real open standard, this would be awesome news.
Hmm..... like DNG, which by it's very nature makes itself not so universal. Allowing manufacturers to "hide things" or "un-standardize" the standard is counter productive to the cause. Unfortunately there is no "easy" solution except to end up w/ a pseudo-standard.........
Microsoft... open standard, I'll believe that when I see it.. And if this is what Pentax is paying for, then there buying what, rights to something that would eventually be free, and open???
Waste of money in my book.
05-13-2008, 05:04 AM   #11
tdb

Everyone who's ever been in bed with Miscrosoft now regrets it. I wouldn't touch anything they offer with a bare pole, only true standards. That's why I shoot/store DNG, use 16bit TIFF for processing, print JPEG and all of it under Linux (python script using dcraw, imagemagick & hugin).
05-13-2008, 05:14 AM   #12
Banned

I think its way to early to be assuming that it has anything to do with file formats.
05-13-2008, 05:18 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I'll wait and see what actually comes out of this, but my initial reaction is a visceral "aw, crap!"

I dislike Microsoft *very* strongly.
05-13-2008, 05:19 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Thanks for the info. Too bad Pentax is doomed, when Hoya and Microsoft go belly up.
Kidding aside, this seems like a strong alliance. And Microsoft putting more fuel on the DSLR train, can only help us consumers.

“the overall IT ecosystem”, this is a new one for me

Ko Torigoe, general manager of HOYA CORPORATION PENTAX Imaging Systems Division. "We also expect that it will bring considerable benefits to consumers in the near future, as we should be able to shorten the time required for product development because of technological advancement by both companies, and therefore deliver higher-quality products to the market."

This sounds good to me, something that would be welcome.

Microsoft is already in a similar agreement with Samsung Electronics
America Inc.
05-13-2008, 05:20 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Which is why I said it was pure speculation on my part. FWIW Microsoft is actually working on JPEG-XR with the JPEG group.