Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2014, 07:29 AM - 4 Likes   #226
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,807
I guss i tis really unclear to many who post an endless stream of negatives how ridiculous they look, to those of u who just go out an shoot as much as we can, hopefully at least a bit everyday.

"Pentax is doomed."
"Snap snap snap, hmmm.. need +1 EV on this one... snap snap snap"
Pentax is doomed.
"Going ot have to do a new preset with adjust WB for this series."
Pentax is doomed.
" Posting 78 images, I guess I put 5 or 6 on the Pentax forum"
Pentax is doomed.

I just wonder, why do the "pentax is doomed" crowd believe anyone is paying attention to them. I read what they write, but in my world it doesn't compute. All these things I "have to have and Pentax has to do"

Well folks
I don't "have to have" anything, and Pentax doesn't have to do anything to make me happy, Pentax makes me happy every time I pick up my camera and go for a walk. The I come back here and read "Pentax is doomed, Pentax should have done this, Pentax should do that, Pentax is this, Pentax is that" It amuses me, but it's not as interesting as a pile of bear poop on a forest trail. At least looking at bear dung, I know what the bears are eating this season. Looking at the "Pentax is doomed posts", all I'm getting this insight into the dysfunctional workings of a few poster's minds. Pentax is like a Rorschach image for some people, you can read everything they think about the world by their analysis of Pentax.

To me Pentax is the deliverer of goodies. Every now and then they come into my consiousnous and say "hey, here's something you might like". What they pop in with and whether it's for me or someone else is irrelevant. Whether 15 million other people like it is irrelevant. What the trend is, is irrelevant. What's relevant is I try and get out shooting at least once a day and enjoy the images. People trying to define "what the Pentax" is , what "it" thinks. What "it's" doing, where "it's " going. What idols do we have to build to appease the "Pentax". What should the "Pentax" be doing to appease us. It's all pretty bizarre.

The cult of the Pentax has it's self appointed oracles, people who profess to have insight into the mind of the Pentax and are so generous they come here, and for free, enlighten us all. They even try and to compete with actual Pentax insiders. "Don't listen to them, listen to us, they are lying, we know the mind of the Pentax." How bizarre.

09-23-2014, 09:08 AM   #227
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Washington State
Posts: 398
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
It doesn't mean that FF camera will be launched in 2015.
And It doesn't mean that it won't either. I would think on the positive side than negative... unless for some strange reason you don't want them to release a FF..
09-23-2014, 10:11 AM   #228
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,714
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
(Much) less than that.
Oh boy, so the market will go down for dslr to mayby 6 million units or less.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I just wonder, why do the "pentax is doomed" crowd believe anyone is paying attention to them. I read what they write, but in my world it doesn't compute. All these things I "have to have and Pentax has to do"

Well folks
I don't "have to have" anything, and Pentax doesn't have to do anything to make me happy, Pentax makes me happy every time I pick up my camera and go for a walk. The I come back here and read "Pentax is doomed, Pentax should have done this, Pentax should do that, Pentax is this, Pentax is that" It amuses me, but it's not as interesting as a pile of bear poop on a forest trail. At least looking at bear dung, I know what the bears are eating this season. Looking at the "Pentax is doomed posts", all I'm getting this insight into the dysfunctional workings of a few poster's minds. Pentax is like a Rorschach image for some people, you can read everything they think about the world by their analysis of Pentax.

To me Pentax is the deliverer of goodies. Every now and then they come into my consiousnous and say "hey, here's something you might like". What they pop in with and whether it's for me or someone else is irrelevant. Whether 15 million other people like it is irrelevant. What the trend is, is irrelevant. What's relevant is I try and get out shooting at least once a day and enjoy the images. People trying to define "what the Pentax" is , what "it" thinks. What "it's" doing, where "it's " going. What idols do we have to build to appease the "Pentax". What should the "Pentax" be doing to appease us. It's all pretty bizarre.

The cult of the Pentax has it's self appointed oracles, people who profess to have insight into the mind of the Pentax and are so generous they come here, and for free, enlighten us all. They even try and to compete with actual Pentax insiders. "Don't listen to them, listen to us, they are lying, we know the mind of the Pentax." How bizarre.
Well for me Pentax isn't doomed, but in an economic drivin society one has to meet shareholders demands, meaning Return On Investment. So you can start new projects, like a much wanted Full Frame camera, but you need to be sure that the company as a whole meets its targets.

So how many people do you expect to buy a new Full Frame camera with the 24-70 and 70-200mm lenses at a total rate of say 5000 euro? Can you develop and produce those numbers on expected sales numbers? If not, you better of not making them.
09-23-2014, 10:19 AM - 2 Likes   #229
Pentaxian
johnmflores's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somerville, NJ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,185
What I find most interesting about this infatuation with "full frame" is that Fuji doesn't get nearly as much criticism for sticking with a "cropped" sensor as Pentax does. Fuji is a darling of the industry while Pentax is a goat, but suspect that some of that is self-inflicted. If we all just went out into the world, took great photos and shared them proudly as Pentaxicans, without the Full Frame Fever and focusing on what Pentax is versus what it isn't then maybe people might have a more respectful view of the brand.

Pentax is to blame as well, but I don't have enough fingers and toes to count the number of newbies that come here and are quickly told that the glass is half empty.

The truth is, I'd put my K-3 and DA/FA primes up against any Fuji any day of the week and there'd be nothing in it. But perceptions are stubborn things...

09-23-2014, 10:23 AM   #230
Site Supporter
jcdoss's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Kansas City, MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,911
That's because Fuji isn't pretending to come out with a full frame sensor for the past decade (among other reasons).
09-23-2014, 10:26 AM   #231
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Washington State
Posts: 398
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Oh boy, so the market will go down for dslr to mayby 6 million units or less.


Well for me Pentax isn't doomed, but in an economic drivin society one has to meet shareholders demands, meaning Return On Investment. So you can start new projects, like a much wanted Full Frame camera, but you need to be sure that the company as a whole meets its targets.

So how many people do you expect to buy a new Full Frame camera with the 24-70 and 70-200mm lenses at a total rate of say 5000 euro? Can you develop and produce those numbers on expected sales numbers? If not, you better of not making them.
Okay the overall sales of DSLRs are declining, but within the DSLR market, FF is gaining market share over APS-C.. so does it make sense to not make a FF? Does it make sense to not have a complete lineup?
09-23-2014, 10:27 AM   #232
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,259
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
That's because Fuji isn't pretending to come out with a full frame sensor for the past decade (among other reasons).
So now, Pentax pretended to... you mean, you fooled yourself into thinking so?
That's the problem with many Pentax users, they take things for granted than evacuate their frustration on the brand they are the culprit.
09-23-2014, 10:28 AM   #233
Pentaxian
D1N0's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: ---
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,340
Fuji doesn't have a big SLR legacy. Pentax does. Like Canon, Nikon, Minolta and Olympus.

09-23-2014, 10:31 AM   #234
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,423
Does anyone pay attention to what people want in Japan - or Asia at large - rather than just what we self-centered, sun-and-the-moon-revolve-around-us Americans and Europeans demand?

If Japan wants a FF - if Asia wants a FF - Ricoh will make a FF.

If we want a FF - not so much because that's what we are now - not so much.

Not the Masters of the Universe any more. We get the KF-U2. I think we got the KF-U2 at Photokina.
09-23-2014, 10:40 AM   #235
Site Supporter
Zygonyx's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ile de France
Posts: 3,068
Good lesson of modesty.

To regularly re-read before posting
09-23-2014, 10:41 AM   #236
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,714
QuoteOriginally posted by Tesla Quote
Okay the overall sales of DSLRs are declining, but within the DSLR market, FF is gaining market share over APS-C.. so does it make sense to not make a FF? Does it make sense to not have a complete lineup?
Well I guess that with the shrinking market and growing FF marketshare to maybe 20 % (or even 25 %) one can still have a good bussiness by just attending the 80 % aps-c market. So I don't see that as a big problem as long as you can cater those photographers with some great camera's.
09-23-2014, 11:04 AM   #237
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Northern Wisconsin
Posts: 703
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Does anyone pay attention to what people want in Japan - or Asia at large - rather than just what we self-centered, sun-and-the-moon-revolve-around-us Americans and Europeans demand?

If Japan wants a FF - if Asia wants a FF - Ricoh will make a FF.

If we want a FF - not so much because that's what we are now - not so much.

Not the Masters of the Universe any more. We get the KF-U2. I think we got the KF-U2 at Photokina.


Think ya got something there.... A couple billion folks in Asia. I would guess there's a lot of profit making cameras for those wanting to move up from cell phone pictures...

09-23-2014, 11:07 AM - 3 Likes   #238
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,807
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
That's because Fuji isn't pretending to come out with a full frame sensor for the past decade (among other reasons).
QuoteOriginally posted by Tesla Quote
Okay the overall sales of DSLRs are declining, but within the DSLR market, FF is gaining market share over APS-C.. so does it make sense to not make a FF? Does it make sense to not have a complete lineup?
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
What I find most interesting about this infatuation with "full frame" is that Fuji doesn't get nearly as much criticism for sticking with a "cropped" sensor as Pentax does. Fuji is a darling of the industry while Pentax is a goat, but suspect that some of that is self-inflicted. If we all just went out into the world, took great photos and shared them proudly as Pentaxicans, without the Full Frame Fever and focusing on what Pentax is versus what it isn't then maybe people might have a more respectful view of the brand.

Pentax is to blame as well, but I don't have enough fingers and toes to count the number of newbies that come here and are quickly told that the glass is half empty.

The truth is, I'd put my K-3 and DA/FA primes up against any Fuji any day of the week and there'd be nothing in it. But perceptions are stubborn things...
Pentax is the goat, because Pentax is the sleeping Giant, sitting on a pile of patents, sitting on years of APS-c, FF and MF know how. Pentax is the goat, because Pentax is the only serious threat to the big 2. Once Pentax releases the FF, they'll be the only full service supplier in the industry.. Everything from the Q to MF. The goal of many of these posts is simply to discredit Pentax.

Pentax is a company that if compared head to head without bias, could compete head to head with Canon or Nikon. It is a competitive must, that there be negative posts on this site, for Canon and Nikon. They don't want their customers who might be a bit disillusioned coming to this site and being able to get a clear idea of the advantages of Pentax. They need the site to be flooded with threads about how bad the mirror flap is, or to keep the SDM thing alive years after it was an issue.

Personally, I don't care if these are actual Canikon employees, or silly brand blinded dupes, who are Can , Nikon or Sony religion zealots come to spread the word. They are hear to trash the brand. They may say they love Pentax, but nothing they do in any way helps Pentax. They do their best to say other brands are better and undervalue Pentax's accomplishments. They aren't helping the brand, although they insist that's their intention, they're killing it. No one would come on this site looking for Pentax gear, and read one of their diatribes and go out and buy Pentax gear.

There are a number of people who come where on a regular basis, who need to be asked on a regular basis "How does it help? " You can help people without being negative. If some one has a shooting style that requires high quality lenses, high resolution, excellent low light performance, it's possible to say get Nikon for high res, get Canon for the fastest auto-focus without trashing Pentax. After all, I don't see a lot of users going on Nikon or Canon sites trashing Nikon or Canon for not producing excellent quality lightweight portable APS_c lenses. Yet by the standards used on this site, that should be happening all the time.

There is absolutely no positive reason to dwell on the negative....unless someone is about to jump off a cliff. And people who think anyone interested in Pentax gear is doing something equivalent to jumping off a cliff, is delusional.

Last edited by normhead; 09-23-2014 at 01:54 PM.
09-23-2014, 11:12 AM   #239
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NJ
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,880
Found this at The Online Photographer:

QuoteQuote:
"There is something psychologically seductive about the term 'full-frame.' Once you've heard it, anything smaller is 'less than full,' or somehow substandard. Of course, full-frame enthusiasts never seem to take the next logical step and move up to medium format—that would be fuller than full, and there's no need to be extra full."
Bill Tyler, in the Comments
09-23-2014, 11:21 AM   #240
Pentaxian
D1N0's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: ---
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,340
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Found this at The Online Photographer:

[/RIGHT]
Their are lots of enthusiasts shooting with the old 6x7 format.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, development, dslr, engineers, ff, full-frame, gallery, hands-on, idea, information, lens, lenses, market, mirrorless, model, nikon, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, photographyblog, photos, price, sensor, tc, tcs, telephoto, thread, time
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
One more time, but in a funny way: Crop Sensors vs Full Frame carlosodze Pentax Full Frame 32 10-16-2014 01:15 PM
From Full-Frame Sony... to Pentax... to Full-Frame Canon Mr_Canuck Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 42 01-21-2014 12:50 AM
Full frame or no full frame.... Deedee Pentax K-3 14 10-08-2013 05:39 AM
Vivitar flash no fire, no smoke either! telfish Flashes, Lighting, and Studio 10 04-15-2011 08:48 PM
Need more megapix? Future possibilities and no need for full frame! rburgoss Pentax DSLR Discussion 57 10-16-2008 03:16 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:54 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top