Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2014, 11:31 AM   #466
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
I agree 100%, and I'm not a K-01 user because of mere chance.
However my point was that, for your reasoning to be valid, all the lenses have to be small, not just one.
fast50 said:
"making lenses as small as possible (DA 40 XS) seems like a wasted effort"
and it is in part true, unless all your other lenses are small, that is to say when the ΔV (difference in volume) is small.

I agree with your concept, but... I could walk around a park looking for wildlife with a 70-200, and throw a 40mm or a 15mm in a pocket just in case. I use a Blackrapid sling, so if I wanted to run the 40 for a few pics I could just pop the lens on the camera and leave the 70-200 on the sling.

An exception that proves the rule? Perhaps? I dunno, smallness is definitely a virtue, and I won't condemn someone else for seeking it.

10-05-2014, 11:47 AM   #467
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
I agree with your concept, but... I could walk around a park looking for wildlife with a 70-200, and throw a 40mm or a 15mm in a pocket just in case. I use a Blackrapid sling, so if I wanted to run the 40 for a few pics I could just pop the lens on the camera and leave the 70-200 on the sling.

An exception that proves the rule? Perhaps? I dunno, smallness is definitely a virtue, and I won't condemn someone else for seeking it.
In that case you don't have to put the big lens in the bag, so you don't have to allot space for it, so yes, that's good.
I wouldn't leave a lens dangling like that, with no protection, and my long lenses don't have a tripod collar, so that unfortunately doesn't work for me...
I'm enjoing my 40mm XS though
10-05-2014, 11:57 AM   #468
Veteran Member

I would add that one that start to have many lenses doesn't have them all on all occasions.

I tend to got out on many occasions with 4 primes: DA15, DA21, DA35 & FA77. It work quite well and it is small. To really stay light, DA21 & FA50 can get you far. I can take a normal shoulder bag and have plainty of place available for water, a tourist guide, a map...

For the days when I take the 50-135, of course i do not take the FA77, and so I still manage to have heavier but managable weight, and also size.

What would not work at all for me is to have the 50-135 + a sigma Art 35mm f/1.4 + Samyang 16mm f/2 and Samyang 24mm f/1.4. Each lens is quite big and quite heavy. Instead of total package around 2kg, I get 3.5kg. Almost double weight and much more in size too. It start to be very anoying.

For me a lense like the Sigma Art take of the only big lens I'll take... And still I'll try to figure when I can avoid to take it. And the most funny part is that I do not wish that much for wider apperture than f/2.4 on 35mm anyway. So why waste money, weight and size on this? This would also mean that when I take the 50-135, I really do not want to take the sigma Art. So I end up either with no 35mm at all or need to have a DA35 anyway so I can have something manageable.

The thing is there nothing that really replace a 50-135 that is smaller (I mean 70-200 doesn't help much and 55-300 already big and has some serious limitation on apperture). I could get with a 135mm prime (that is expensive as hell) but I feel the longer the focal lens, the more it is usefull to have zoom because there much more time where you can't move and the lens has to adapt to the subject distance, not the other way arround.

Buy one don't really need an f/1.4 15mm lens or even f/1.4 35mm. DA15 & DA35 just do the job ! This will be even more true if high iso perf of sensor get better in the future.

What I would have liked instead (or in addition of) K-S1 is a K3 ltd with all the features but smaller and lighter, weighting 500g instead of 800g. K-S1 20MP is ok, but the new interface and more the step back in AF make it a no go for me.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 10-05-2014 at 12:12 PM.
10-05-2014, 12:08 PM   #469
Veteran Member

I wouldn't leave a lens dangling like that, with no protection
How do you carry around your camera?

10-05-2014, 12:13 PM   #470
Veteran Member

How do you carry around your camera?
Round the neck, but I'm always keeping it with at least one hand.
I wouldn't be comfortable with a big lens hanging and dangling let's say a little higher than my hips, on my side, without me holding it.
Especially in a crowd, where I would be using the other hand to protect the lens in fron of my camera.

Last edited by LensBeginner; 10-05-2014 at 12:19 PM. Reason: details added
10-05-2014, 12:50 PM - 2 Likes   #471
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Round the neck, but I'm always keeping it with at least one hand.
I wouldn't be comfortable with a big lens hanging and dangling let's say a little higher than my hips, on my side, without me holding it.
Especially in a crowd, where I would be using the other hand to protect the lens in fron of my camera.
start trusting your gear (that is also the things you buy to support your gear):

(not a selfportrait )
10-05-2014, 01:20 PM   #472
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a hand-me-down Barractudta Jacket that takes a K-01 / DA40 Limited in one pocket and the Q7 / 06 in the other.

Last edited by monochrome; 10-05-2014 at 06:24 PM.
10-05-2014, 01:25 PM   #473
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
start trusting your gear (that is also the things you buy to support your gear):

(not a selfportrait )
...that is scary!
Seriously though, I would fear banging it into something because of a distraction.
I trust my gear, that's why I bought a quality tripod, so I could trust it
10-05-2014, 01:37 PM   #474
Banned

...that is scary!
Seriously though, I would fear banging it into something because of a distraction.
I trust my gear, that's why I bought a quality tripod, so I could trust it
I do that with my K-5/DA*300 on monopod hanging over my shoulder. Just Always have a shirt on.
10-05-2014, 04:55 PM   #475
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Actually I did not. A focus limiter would not be seen as an improvement by people who don't need it. Just something that can break the functionality of the lens by getting stuck. I was making the IBIS statement in the context of Pentax and not broader. Pentax claims the K-3 has up to 3.5 stop compensation depending on FL (we have not seen any real tests but a valued forum member did a thing on the K-7 with some disturbing results: Falk Lumo: Pentax shake reduction revisited ) 3.5 EV is the optimum level. Good VR lenses will get 4 to 4.5 stops (more reliably). You will have to check out that this claim is made according to CIPA standards though.
I agree with you on focus limiters, ex 100mm F2.8 macro (I miss it on the WR newby ) Still a GREAT lens, better than my venerable FA... and 40% less (roughly) the weight...

IMHO, Quoting Falk Lumo is so NOT the thing to do. He has NO credibility, and spews the most populist based tripe and opinion (which he tries to package as quantitatively supported). On this forum, he has been totally dissed and disassembled (embarrassingly so). IMHO, He'd be better selling lawnmowers (make that USED lawnmowers). That said, I truly enjoy reading your posts because I routinely see alternative points of view and not "groupthink".

I have personally done side to sides with K-3 and Nikon contemporaries (a friend has them) and K-3 is slower but crisper, HANDS ON. I would invite any K-3 owner to do the same with their Nikonian friend. It was remarkable... And for better or worse, My K-3 kicked a D7100 and a D800. Saw it with my own two eyes....

Your OIS/SR arguments are NOT substantiated by ANY optical engineering or physical /material science I have read or been exposed to since university in 1975. I am trying to see where you want to take us (maybe I am having a senior moment, admitted herein), but I need clarity on the current direction you are taking... THX

---------- Post added 10-05-14 at 07:56 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I have a hand-me-down Barracuda Jacket that takes a K-01 / DA40 Limited in one pocket and the Q7 / 06 in the other.
Do they still make them?

---------- Post added 10-05-14 at 07:59 PM ----------

(not a selfportrait )
I like the cooler as a counterbalance. Smarter and more utility than tripod sandbags.... I sense the mass would shrink faster with high heat due to evaporation By 2pm in Florida, would need a modular aluminum encased modular refill...
10-05-2014, 05:09 PM - 1 Like   #476
Pentaxian

(not a selfportrait )
If that guy lost weight, the total amount of weight his legs have to carry would be so low, carrying that lens would be the less than walking around with it was, when you took the picture.

Maybe he carries that weight to keep his legs in shape for carrying the lens.

Is that cooler full of beer and donuts?

OK, I have to stop doing this.
10-06-2014, 01:28 AM   #477
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
And you are expecting such information to impress the nay sayers? You just have to look back to just before the K-3 was released. Specs released by asahiman I believe, and all the negative comments to realize what you're dealing with. Personally I suspect that there is no way Pentax reps would be saying these things if 6 months from now their sayings could be a suggestion that they failed, because it has yet to be released.

It does make you wonder though.. what is the motivation of the nay sayers... nay sayers, what say you?

What was the value of denying the imminent release of the K-3 a few weeks before it's release?

Thanks for the effort though. Writing to Ricoh and asking as opposed to just shooting your mouth off. What a novel approach. One that should perhaps be practiced more often, by those who claim to know what Ricoh is doing. Do you need more evidence that the nay sayers are, willfully ignorant, have an agenda of trying to push people to other brands, deliberate liars, and people who have a vested interest in seeing Pentax not do well?

At this point they are not just offering an opinion, they are actually claiming that Pentax Reps are lying to us and that we should listen to them, the nay sayers, and not the official announcements. They are drama queens and attention seekers, every one of them.

At this point there is absolutely nothing legitimate about them, except for their desire to hurt the Pentax brand. That may or may not be legitimate, but it's definitely real.
I don't know Norm. I suspect there's some supposed Pentaxians here who delight in bagging the brand, to what end result I do not know. I hate BMtroubleU's and yet I'm not on their forums bemoaning how rubbish their brand is.

As for Ricoh. Yes, I thought - Why not ask, rather than speculate? And, just goes to show, writing to a big company can gain a reply. I was surprised, but pleased that they took the time.
I recently had a moan about some new regulations that were poorly written and confusing to the consumer and wrote to the government minister in charge of that department. Not only did I get a reply but he actually met with me, listened, and made practical changes. And, I'm just an ordinary citizen. Made me feel good about government for a change!

So, here's hoping we'll see more positive thoughts being expressed here rather than the usual nay-saying and doom and gloom. I am digging behind the couch cushions and hope to get enough together for that Pentax FF!
10-06-2014, 05:13 AM   #478
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I believed what you wrote... Appreciated the time!

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I don't know Norm. I suspect there's some supposed Pentaxians here who delight in bagging the brand, to what end result I do not know. I hate BMtroubleU's and yet I'm not on their forums bemoaning how rubbish their brand is.

As for Ricoh. Yes, I thought - Why not ask, rather than speculate? And, just goes to show, writing to a big company can gain a reply. I was surprised, but pleased that they took the time.
I recently had a moan about some new regulations that were poorly written and confusing to the consumer and wrote to the government minister in charge of that department. Not only did I get a reply but he actually met with me, listened, and made practical changes. And, I'm just an ordinary citizen. Made me feel good about government for a change!

So, here's hoping we'll see more positive thoughts being expressed here rather than the usual nay-saying and doom and gloom. I am digging behind the couch cushions and hope to get enough together for that Pentax FF!

I agree with Norm, lots of nay-sayers, pseudo-optical engineers, pseudo-electrical engineers, pseudo-product designers, robotics assembly like configuration chiefs, customer economics experts, and brand managers.... all polishing their knobs and dials hoping that they appear knowledgeable by quoting idiots or trolls that are in the bag for someone. Even DXO trolls out from time to time (likely caused by a hefty R&D investment from someone....

"Ordinary citizens", truly acting as such, are an extremely compelling force, be it public policy, customer satisfaction, or simply ashing for some help. Your simple request of Ricoh and your approach received "common sense" replies because they were genuine. Good for you....

I have been over satisfied by your Bavarian annoyance lately. Mayne I just have a great dealer. Like politics, "It's all Local"...
10-06-2014, 07:33 AM   #479
Veteran Member

They could be naysayers for no reason at all. Which doesn't make any sense and leads to all kinds of wacky conspiracy theories. Or, maybe they're not naysayers?

Couldn't it just be that those nay-sayers have been disappointed much to often in the past, and that they are afraid to get their hopes up for even just the tiniest bit? Or just don't want to look stupid again for believing the rumors and/or claims?

Alternatively, after a decade of claiming that FF is not and will not be on the Pentax agenda, some users might just have plundered their piggy bank and sourced their FF equipment elsewhere. With all the annoyances of switching brands, running multiple brands and snipping aperture levers. Only to be confronted with Pentax saying: "SURPISE!". So it could also just be whishfull thinking on their part.
10-06-2014, 12:55 PM   #480
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
They could be naysayers for no reason at all. Which doesn't make any sense and leads to all kinds of wacky conspiracy theories. Or, maybe they're not naysayers?

Couldn't it just be that those nay-sayers have been disappointed much to often in the past, and that they are afraid to get their hopes up for even just the tiniest bit? Or just don't want to look stupid again for believing the rumors and/or claims?

Alternatively, after a decade of claiming that FF is not and will not be on the Pentax agenda, some users might just have plundered their piggy bank and sourced their FF equipment elsewhere. With all the annoyances of switching brands, running multiple brands and snipping aperture levers. Only to be confronted with Pentax saying: "SURPISE!". So it could also just be whishfull thinking on their part.
Until the Russians duped me with their FF by June theme I never saw any reason to buy in to the FF hype. I read all the interviews etc, and came to the conclusion, "no full frame". in fact my last "no FF post" was just two weeks before it was announced. All I'm saying here, is if you got sucked in by some imaginarily FF announcement, it's because you can't read, not because Pentax said one was coming.

So your logic that because they believed a Full Frame was coming , even though Pentax never said that, is reason to not believe Pentax, now that they say one is coming... ya, that's pretty funny.

Users needing equipment Penatx didn't produce is nonsense. There's a ton of equipment Pentax doesn't produce and there's very little chance Pentax will ever make any of it. You seem to be a proponent of the "everything that's wrong with the world is Pentax's fault" kind of attitude. From my perspective Pentax has been very up front about everything, releasing appropriate statements when it suited them. Didn't suit you? Bought into another brand? Exactly what's wrong with that?

If Pentax didn't have a full frame out when someone bought into them, but then changed their mind and decided they had to have one... that's not Pentax's doing. That them not being able to comprehend what Pentax was saying. Take an English comprehension course. Quit expecting corporations to keep up with your flip-flops.

Everyone on here who has jumped brands, has been in a hurry for something. It is not up to anyone else to fill your urgent requests. Do it yourself and move on. After all, who decided you had to have a Full Frame before Pentax released one? Take a little responsibility for your actions. After all, most of the folks who moved on to other companies are glad they did. Some folks like jsherman would have missed out on 3 years of FF shooting if he'd stayed with Pentax. And he's happy where he is. So be where you are and be happy... where ever that is. Don't be blaming Pentax. Imagining other shooters and why they should be mad at Pentax doesn't even involve a real person. What kind of person would voice the opinions of imaginary people. Is there no end to the insanity?

"Ya there might be a person like that somewhere, I better say what he/she thinks." The only thing that qualifies you to speak for imaginary people is you're one step away from the looney bin.

But it's interesting you should be here giving voice to and defending the nameless nay sayers. Is there like a nay sayers club? Are you their spokesman?

"It's all Pentax's fault... they ruined my life... oh wo is me."

Sorry, I just can't stop having fun with this, every time I stand up and try and walk away from the keyboard, I think of something even funnier.

If you keep posting I'm going to have to look for work as a professional comedian. Not that I'm far from that as it is.

Last edited by normhead; 10-06-2014 at 01:11 PM.