Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2014, 01:22 AM   #571
Pentaxian

And the first prize for Wild Speculation Presented As Facts goes to...
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
It was a sleeper project. However, Ricoh did not come 2 days before the Q launch to buy Pentax. There were talks, then observations, negotiations, and Ricoh knew all the Pentax assets too well. Ricoh knew about the Q prototypes long before we did. By launching the Q on the same date when the agreement with Hoya was signed off, Ricoh has consciously committed to the Q line: to develop it, finance it and market it from that day on.

Q would not go forward if Ricoh was not interested in it. They gave the blessing, not Hoya — Hoya only gave the opportunity. All the same, we almost certainly can say there were FF prototypes during that negotiation period. But Ricoh was not interested in launching the FF. They wanted Q.
What are you trying to say, that Ricoh told Hoya "no, we don't want a FF line-up, do the small sensor MILC instead"? As if they were equivalent (I strongly disagree with the claim that a FF would be easier, it's the other way around).
Who developed the Q? (I remember reading that its development started some 5 years before, and they were waiting for a better sensor) Who made it production-ready? Who launched it? Don't tell me Ricoh started taking decisions a full year before the deal actually took place. Don't tell me Hoya would decide to invest money into a system or another, before a sell-out, based on what the buyer wishes. If anything was changed by the Hoya-Ricoh talks, it was the immediate postponement of all K-mount announcements. By Hoya.

And yes, it would take a company years just to analyze their new acquisition's assets and decide what to do with the ongoing projects. Not just some talks done by the upper management.

Last edited by Kunzite; 10-15-2014 at 04:53 AM.
10-15-2014, 03:46 AM   #572
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Ricoh's ability to influence companies pre-acquisition must be phenomenal. Apparently, they were behind the Q series. Another poster suggested they were responsible for making coloured DSLRs. Now, I can exclusively reveal that Ricoh used proprietary mind-control technologies to make Hoya lay off all their best lens designers and hire Marc Newson instead.

The truth is out there!
10-15-2014, 05:10 AM   #573
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
If you are after a small and compact system, maybe well you are not that interrested in FF to begin with.
To be fair, not all FF are hulking 1Dx or D4s behemoths. The Sony A7 series is pretty compact, and even FF DSLR's like the 6D and D610 are only a little larger than a K-3.

It's the FF lenses that usually add extra bulk and mass. But then again, once you add a fast 70-200 or 300mm telephoto onto any body (APS-C or FF), you've got a heavy system no matter what.
10-15-2014, 05:11 AM   #574
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I guess the Q system even makes a profit since it is stil around.

10-15-2014, 05:40 AM   #575
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
While we wait for flying pigs eh.... I mean more substantiated rumors, some may find pleasure (if they know German) in reading this rather enthusiastic review of the 645Z:

Meine zwei Wochen mit der Pentax 645z | Der Stilpirat
10-15-2014, 06:06 AM   #576
Pentaxian

I believe at 1 point in 2012, the original Q took the top spot for sales across all interchangeable lens cameras in Japan.

Apparently the newer models still sell briskly there.

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I guess the Q system even makes a profit since it is stil around.
10-15-2014, 11:54 AM   #577
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
To be fair, not all FF are hulking 1Dx or D4s behemoths. The Sony A7 series is pretty compact, and even FF DSLR's like the 6D and D610 are only a little larger than a K-3.

It's the FF lenses that usually add extra bulk and mass. But then again, once you add a fast 70-200 or 300mm telephoto onto any body (APS-C or FF), you've got a heavy system no matter what.
Exactly, that the lenses.

Canon has few small lenses but there at least some choice in medium lenses. Nikon is a bit better on that topic. Sony A7 echosystem is worst there with 1 small f/2.8 lense and that all. A7 echosystem is the least viable for this. Maybe they need a few years to have some more interresting lenses.

Pentax counting only FF lenses has 35, 43, 50, 77 lenses that are quite small and very nice. FA31 and DFA100 are too medium sized lenses. Would they dare to add a 24mm and the offering would be complete and quite interresting on standard range prime area.

That really on the zoom range that there officially nothing available (small or big). I would think that the rumored 70-200 will be everything but small.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 10-15-2014 at 12:08 PM.
10-15-2014, 12:15 PM   #578
Pentaxian

Canon has few small lenses but there at least some choice in medium lenses. Nikon is a bit better on that topic. Sony A7 echosystem is worst there with 1 small f/2.8 lense and that all. A7 echosystem is the least viable for this. Maybe they need a few years to have some more interresting lenses.

Pentax counting only FF lenses has 35, 43, 50, 77 lenses that are quite small and very nice. FA31 and DFA100 are too medium sized lenses. Would they dare to add a 24mm and the offering would be complete and quite interresting on standard range prime area.

That really on the zoom range that there officially nothing available (small or big). I would think that the rumored 70-200 will be everything but small.
It will be a replacement for the discontinued FA* 80-200 2.8, with a larger image circle to allow for shake reduction. It should be acceptably huge.

10-15-2014, 05:54 PM   #579
bxf
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I know the feeling. Things are developing so quickly in imaging technology, it makes it hard to make a good choice. I myself keep my money in the bank because I want to wait and see how things develop. But the next best thing is always right around the corner. And there's no pressure because the gear I have is really very good.

Chosing was much easier when it was all just about good optics and skills.
Yeah, I tried that.

The skills never arrived...
10-16-2014, 12:10 AM - 1 Like   #580
Pentaxian

I would add for Sony I looked at the highend transtandard lens from Zeiss review in photozone. I was expecting something really nice as everybody know mirorless should be easier to work with with shorter registration distances, the Zeiss name, the high price and finally moderate max apperture (f/4).

This is funny how photozone reviewed it as just average (2.5) and find weak borders, huge distorsions (>3%), more than 2 stops of vigneting but also very bad bokeh. Photozone also explained how mirrorless made design of lense not that easy.

The more I look at it, the more I think the A7 is mostly hype. I could pass on the so called weak borders. But more than 2EV of vigneting for an f/4 when one of your body is supposed to be a low light king and the bad bokeh for a FF system that many choose for the additionnal deph of field control... This is not very good news.

Thus, even through we are accustomed to Sony under designed lens in E mount (Nex lenses were terrible) and that may not be an indication at all of other mirrorless FF that might come in the future, I'am not sure it would that a good idea for Pentax to make it mirrorless. Apparently there more problems here than one could think naively. The lenses are not even that small neither, I mean FA ltd are smaller !

I would then prefer a compact FF DSLR design that would perfectly go with the FF lenses Pentax already have! As some said here the body doesn't need to be bigger than K3 or heavier. And please if you make dedicated FF zooms lenses, I don't care to have perfect borders, I mean even the sigma advocate recognise the lastest Nikon 58 with bad tests chart is a very nice lens... But please make sure the bokeh and rendering are nice ! This is important !
10-16-2014, 03:59 AM   #581
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I would then prefer a compact FF DSLR design that would perfectly go with the FF lenses Pentax already have!
Exactly.

I'm sure that is the Pentax plan anyhow. Their FF body will play to their strengths: compact size, WR, strong build quality, quietness (hopefully), shake reduction, and a few extra value features.
10-16-2014, 05:52 AM   #582
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Exactly.

I'm sure that is the Pentax plan anyhow. Their FF body will play to their strengths: compact size, WR, strong build quality, quietness (hopefully), shake reduction, and a few extra value features.
That's exactly it... that's how they can sell me something new... make it play nice with what I already have.
10-19-2014, 05:53 PM   #583
Banned

I think they can make a camera that sells. K-50 sells. Even K-01 was selling that it was resurrected for a while.

It is not too difficult to make a camera that sells. But I think it is much harder to make a camera that is: different, unique, represents a true value, still sells well, creates attention, creates admiration even envy, can be a serious herald of the new approach to image making.

Coming too late in the well developed FF market, Pentax faces more difficulties and tasks Canon and Nikon never worry about. Because you, the picky and never happy user, will be far more critical of Pentax even if they deliver gold, than of Nikon or Canon even if they deliver yet another turd.
10-19-2014, 06:46 PM   #584
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Because you, the picky and never happy user, will be far more critical of Pentax even if they deliver gold, than of Nikon or Canon even if they deliver yet another turd.
I am shocked at the sardonicism in this accusation - and to be shocked by something you've posted, at this point, is saying a lot.
10-19-2014, 07:51 PM   #585
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
sardonicism
Had to look that up.................