Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2014, 02:17 PM   #691
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,893
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Latest marketing flop, with horridly photoshopped image of a young woman holding a minuscule K-S1, speaks volumes.

There obviously was not any marketing material for the K-S1 done, especially containing:
A. summer time and bright sunshine (as opposed to snowy and stormy weather to advertise ruggedness of the K-3),
B. some idea about what that camera can be used for and what it was designed for.

There was no marketing ideas prepared in terms to what exact audience and what exact messages K-S1 should deliver.

Here is the stock photo used:


And here is the result. The result was amateurish execution in forced conclusion about the use of K-S1. And the good providence enabled us to see what they have done in the process and what the company thinks about its users.
I think 'mistakenly released picture' is the most probable explanation.

10-27-2014, 02:32 PM   #692
Site Supporter
Zygonyx's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ile de France
Posts: 3,031
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
We keep thinking this is a 'lightweight' (and I don't mean light) camera for iPhone users when in reality it's a pretty darned good camera. We should think of it as a K-x replacement - tiny and good!
Exactly, i took the 15th anniversary of my daughter as an excuse to offer her one (the white and silver version) ; and i have to say its a very capable and snappy camera, allowing excellent shots even with 18-55 DA-L lens.
Btw this lens seems to have been sensibly improved in terms of fluidity of the zoom ring.
10-27-2014, 02:34 PM   #693
Pentaxian
mecrox's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oxford, UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,078
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Whatever. From Clackers' samples on the other thread it looks like a really competent camera in its own right and the sensor appears to be very capable. From the interviews with the Product Engineer Ricoh seems to have done a lot of work miniaturizing things, and changing the interface was a technological challenge. There's really a lot of typical Pentax magic in the camera - the stuff we're accustomed to seeing in the groundbreaking cameras like the K10D and K-3. We keep thinking this is a 'lightweight' (and I don't mean light) camera for iPhone users when in reality it's a pretty darned good camera. We should think of it as a K-x replacement - tiny and good!
I agree, which is why I don't get the way in which it's been presented in Europe and North America. Still, enough.

Last edited by mecrox; 10-27-2014 at 03:22 PM.
10-27-2014, 04:31 PM - 1 Like   #694
Banned




Join Date: May 2010
Location: Back to my Walkabout Creek
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,541
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
I think 'mistakenly released picture' is the most probable explanation.
Daughter: "Mummy, mummy, look I have found a picture of daddy in your red bra and with pink lipstick..."
Mum: "But dear, I have no red bra — only a white bra, and my lipstick is red ..." ...

What this compromised photograph does in Ricoh's email folder? THAT is the question you have not asked, and THAT reveals a big problem.
It is not that "dad was wearing a wrong bra and wrong lipstick", but why he wants to wear them at all, and who gave them to him?

This is all a consequence of deliberately ignored marketing commitment. They have none to speak of. They are charlatans, or quite close to be one. Being blind and deaf to the obvious requirements, and constantly ignoring them:
— Using Canon camera to advertise their own Theta, while their Pentax cameras beg for some attention in marketing.
— Using Canon setup to take Q7 shots.
— Using Nikon D600 to make advertising for K-3.
— Then using K-3 to tell how it is a great FF replacement (who needs FF when you have K-3,), and then use D600 as an example and how K-3 beats it!
— Using stock photograph to promote a product they have no material about.
— Steal other people's photographs for their branch website.

Lying. Cheating. Montaging. Hiding the truth. That is NOT marketing.
This is the confirmation of our fears and lamentations that go on for ages. Now, like a boomerang, sloppiness hits them back in the head.
It hurts? They have deserved it. Big time!

This is Ricoh Japan's direct fault. They have to deliver images for the marketing campaign of any kind for the products. Because they are designing the camera in the first place! One cannot design something if one does not know who is the market segment, or the audience for the new product. Or what problem a product solves and why it exists.


Last edited by Uluru; 10-27-2014 at 04:54 PM.
10-27-2014, 04:39 PM   #695
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,893
I think it's reasonable for the larger markets to have their own marketing campaigns. The models and campaigns that work for Japan wouldn't necessarily work for China, Europe, or the United States.

I think this was an innocent mistake. Regrettable, sure. But no one was insulting our collective intelligence.
10-27-2014, 05:26 PM - 1 Like   #696
JPT
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tokyo
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,216
I was in a large store in Tokyo yesterday (Bic Camera Shinjuku, to be precise) and they label their best selling products in each category. DSLRs:
1st - Nikon D3300
2nd - Canon Kiss X7 (Japanese name for the really small one)
3rd - Pentax K-S1

Interesting that these are all very small and light and they all have a non-black option. The thing is, when you pick up these cameras, it's immediately apparent that the K-S1 is more solid than its competitors, has a better grip, has a far better viewfinder and also has a lot more advanced features. I still think they lose sales because of the focusing and shutter noise, though.
10-27-2014, 05:32 PM   #697
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,199
Some people are determined to see the negative in everything.
10-27-2014, 10:32 PM   #698
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,230
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Some people are determined to see the negative in everything.
Yep we should take measures to organize a general troll famine.
Maybe trolls will get tired and move one.

10-28-2014, 12:08 AM   #699
Pentaxian
gazonk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Oslo area, Norway
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,512
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I still think they lose sales because of the focusing and shutter noise, though.
Thanks for the "field report" from Tokyo!

This camera really needs a redesigned compact kit zoom with silent AF. But is the shutter really noisier than the competition? That's a shame. My K-5 is less noisy than most mirrorless cameras.
10-28-2014, 12:48 AM   #700
Pentaxian
LensBeginner's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,560
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
*snip* (Bic Camera Shinjuku, to be precise) *snip*
OT: boy, do I hate that jingle... it sticks!!!
10-28-2014, 05:25 AM   #701
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Iowa
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,269
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
And here is the result. The result was amateurish execution in forced conclusion about the use of K-S1. And the good providence enabled us to see what they have done in the process and what the company thinks about its users.
Wait... Is that a real thing? I mean, did Pentax actually use that image? 'Cause that's hilariously inept.
10-28-2014, 05:38 AM   #702
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,082
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I was in a large store in Tokyo yesterday (Bic Camera Shinjuku, to be precise) and they label their best selling products in each category. DSLRs:
1st - Nikon D3300
2nd - Canon Kiss X7 (Japanese name for the really small one)
3rd - Pentax K-S1

Interesting that these are all very small and light and they all have a non-black option. The thing is, when you pick up these cameras, it's immediately apparent that the K-S1 is more solid than its competitors, has a better grip, has a far better viewfinder and also has a lot more advanced features. I still think they lose sales because of the focusing and shutter noise, though.
So you're saying it's slower focusing than it's competition, and noisier?

Did you try the Nikon D3300. I tried a D3200 once and found it neither faster focusing and definitely not quieter, but hey, things can change. This is the first time I've heard of a Pentax described as noisy.
10-28-2014, 06:00 AM   #703
Pentaxian
Clavius's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: De Klundert
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,118
Pentax shutter and mirror are really very quiet. The screwdrive is just as noisy as any screwdrive AF system: terribly noisy.
10-28-2014, 06:04 AM   #704
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,082
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Pentax shutter and mirror are really very quiet. The screwdrive is just as noisy as any screwdrive AF system: terribly noisy.

And used on my F-70-210 will rip the camera right out of my hand... but we digress.
10-28-2014, 07:04 AM   #705
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gladys, Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 15,744
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
So you're saying it's slower focusing than it's competition, and noisier?

Did you try the Nikon D3300. I tried a D3200 once and found it neither faster focusing and definitely not quieter, but hey, things can change. This is the first time I've heard of a Pentax described as noisy.
I think the lenses sold as kit lenses for Nikon and Canon all have ultrasonic motors -- quiet, but not super speedy. My experience with the Pentax kit lens (DAL version) is that it is fast enough with regard to speed, but it is pretty loud.

---------- Post added 10-28-14 at 10:06 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Daughter: "Mummy, mummy, look I have found a picture of daddy in your red bra and with pink lipstick..."
Mum: "But dear, I have no red bra only a white bra, and my lipstick is red ..." ...

What this compromised photograph does in Ricoh's email folder? THAT is the question you have not asked, and THAT reveals a big problem.
It is not that "dad was wearing a wrong bra and wrong lipstick", but why he wants to wear them at all, and who gave them to him?

This is all a consequence of deliberately ignored marketing commitment. They have none to speak of. They are charlatans, or quite close to be one. Being blind and deaf to the obvious requirements, and constantly ignoring them:
Using Canon camera to advertise their own Theta, while their Pentax cameras beg for some attention in marketing.
Using Canon setup to take Q7 shots.
Using Nikon D600 to make advertising for K-3.
Then using K-3 to tell how it is a great FF replacement (who needs FF when you have K-3,), and then use D600 as an example and how K-3 beats it!
Using stock photograph to promote a product they have no material about.
Steal other people's photographs for their branch website.

Lying. Cheating. Montaging. Hiding the truth. That is NOT marketing.
This is the confirmation of our fears and lamentations that go on for ages. Now, like a boomerang, sloppiness hits them back in the head.
It hurts? They have deserved it. Big time!

This is Ricoh Japan's direct fault. They have to deliver images for the marketing campaign of any kind for the products. Because they are designing the camera in the first place! One cannot design something if one does not know who is the market segment, or the audience for the new product. Or what problem a product solves and why it exists.
It just isn't a big deal. Pentax has clearly decided that the US is an after thought. If cameras sell here, that's fine, but their focus is Asia. This camera is targeted for Asia and the advertising campaigns are well designed.

If the K-S1 sells or doesn't sell in the US or Europe, it won't be because of a poorly photoshopped image.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, development, dslr, engineers, ff, full-frame, gallery, hands-on, idea, information, lens, lenses, market, mirrorless, model, nikon, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, photographyblog, photos, price, sensor, tc, tcs, telephoto, thread, time
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
One more time, but in a funny way: Crop Sensors vs Full Frame carlosodze Pentax Full Frame 32 10-16-2014 01:15 PM
From Full-Frame Sony... to Pentax... to Full-Frame Canon Mr_Canuck Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 42 01-21-2014 12:50 AM
Full frame or no full frame.... Deedee Pentax K-3 14 10-08-2013 05:39 AM
Vivitar flash no fire, no smoke either! telfish Flashes, Lighting, and Studio 10 04-15-2011 08:48 PM
Need more megapix? Future possibilities and no need for full frame! rburgoss Pentax DSLR Discussion 57 10-16-2008 03:16 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:26 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top