Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2014, 05:52 AM   #811

Holding off on buying another body until the FF arrives - hopefully soon as the k10d is getting tired!

11-02-2014, 05:56 AM   #812
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NicoleC Quote
Totally agree. Some things you can't miniaturize (like long glass). And there's going to be an ergonomic sweet spot where you can't drop below a certain size to be comfortable with commonly used heavier lenses.

I won't be buying another body for some years unless disaster strikes, but I would be far more interested in a revolutionary FF design from Pentax than a traditional design. I might even be willing to change lens mounts for it if it's that much of an improvement.
Well, I'm always amazed at how tiny SMC-M (fast) glass is...
I mean, is there a smaller 50mm f/1.7 or a smaller 100mm f/2.8?
The fact that the 100mm is an old-ish 4-elements design surely helps...
BTW, anyone knows transmittance figures for old manual glass compared to newer, multi-element glass? Would be intrigued to know the t-stop...
11-02-2014, 06:02 AM   #813
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The technological challenge will always be IBIS, and for video the noise the IBIS platform makes.

And there's potentially the problem of the image circle not being quite big enough to allow IBIS on the entire image. In that case the processor might capture a slightly smaller than FF image, leaving photosites around the borders for IBIS.

I wonder how that idea would sell?*

* Noting rumors that the rumored FF lenses are ILIS lenses.

(Is that a meta-rumor?)
From patent descriptions I have read the SR systems that Pentax engineers develop are applicable to ILIS !!
I'm not sure but I think I have read already a lens patent with ILIS.
11-02-2014, 06:34 AM   #814
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
From patent descriptions I have read the SR systems that Pentax engineers develop are applicable to ILIS !!
I'm not sure but I think I have read already a lens patent with ILIS.
The 645 Macro lens ?

11-02-2014, 06:52 AM   #815
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The issue is the mass of the larger sensor, the carrying frame and the larger magnets required to move the entire assembly at hyper-frequency rates. As far as size goes - sure, there was a FF mirrorbox in an MX, but the entire technology of imaging resided on a moving strip of acetate. Everything about FF is larger, not just the sensor.

And there's more heat to dissipate.

A FF reflex Pentax camera will be larger than a K-3.
11-02-2014, 07:04 AM   #816
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
Im going the same direction.. what i really care and like about FF is the ISO performance especially for events where light is too dim.. all the other things i can match them ( most ) with something like the K3 and some postprocesing and will be great. but ISO at APS-C have a limit...

Ofcourse for shooters that dont do it during the night/events or dont shoot at larger apertures they wont notice the difference between FF/APS-C .. and is not that APS-C is not going to do the job, its just that is not going to do it THAT good..
You do know there are some absolutely amazing K-3 low light photos taken at events posted on the forum, probably in the K-3 images thread? You might want to ask some of those guys how they achieve their results.
11-02-2014, 07:56 AM   #817
Lens Buying Addict

We should wait a few months and compare K-3 performance versus whatever camera body is the Ricoh announcement for February and release for April/May.
11-02-2014, 08:01 AM   #818
Pentaxian

We should wait a few months and compare K-3 performance versus whatever camera body is the Ricoh announcement for February and release for April/May.
LOL... Sure I'd like too know more about that one

11-02-2014, 08:07 AM   #819
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Make that 5:

(Diagram from Boz Dimitrov)

---------- Post added 11-02-14 at 09:12 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
The 645 Macro lens ?
Certainly the new DA 645 28-45mm zoom has ILSR:

HD Pentax-DA 645 28-45mm F4.5 ED AW SR Reviews - 645 Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

(note the "SR" in the name).
11-02-2014, 08:38 AM - 1 Like   #820
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Make that 5:

(Diagram from Boz Dimitrov)

True, 100mm f/4 macro is also the same... must have confused it with a 50mm...
There's also this interesting test online
TEST
with lots of scans from old magazines and charts for both the f/2.8 and the f/4 (and the bellows).
11-02-2014, 08:56 AM   #821
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
BTW, anyone knows transmittance figures for old manual glass compared to newer, multi-element glass? Would be intrigued to know the t-stop...
Several reasons for me:

- In body AF motor have less strength than a typical hand and so design had to be changed to accomodate auto focus.
- In lens AF motor add a motor into the lens making it even bigger.
- Stabilization also add other stuff into the lens.
- We didn't care that much of perfect sharpness of whatever because we could not pixel peep images. Now if it not razor sharp on extremes borders at f/1.2 it is said to be "unusable".
11-02-2014, 09:07 AM   #822
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Several reasons for me:

- In body AF motor have less strength than a typical hand and so design had to be changed to accomodate auto focus.
- In lens AF motor add a motor into the lens making it even bigger.
- Stabilization also add other stuff into the lens.
- We didn't care that much of perfect sharpness of whatever because we could not pixel peep images. Now if it not razor sharp on extremes borders at f/1.2 it is said to be "unusable".
I'm with you for all the points except the last one.
I believe that some of my manual lenses are among the sharpest I have, and they usually get there earlier (around f/5.6, before diffraction sets in on a 16MP APS-C sensor)
You can pixel peep as much as you like with those... ;-)
11-02-2014, 09:43 AM   #823
Loyal Site Supporter

The challenge of making IBIS work on a small FF sensored body would explain the delay in releasing a FF.
IBIS is one of the main draws to Pentax for many of us. I bet Ricoh/Pentax is working on something really novel which will allow them to have both small bodies and IBIS with their K mount FF. I tell my kids that I am the most optimistic old man they will ever meet
11-02-2014, 09:58 AM   #824
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
We didn't care that much of perfect sharpness of whatever because we could not pixel peep images.
Oh, we cared, back in the day, because we could always crank the enlarger up to the top of the post!
11-02-2014, 10:29 AM   #825
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Oh, we cared, back in the day, because we could always crank the enlarger up to the top of the post!
...brings back memories of developing B/W in the darkroom (the bathroom!) and of Antonioni's movie "Blow up"... a masterpiece which I warmly suggest if you haven't seen it yet.