Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2014, 10:50 AM   #826
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 343
Some old lenses are just as sharp as new ones, just as some new lenses are not sharp at all. It all depends on the quality of the optics. There are several MF gems that are just fine sharpness wise (especially stopped down) even on a modern high MP digital sensor. Look at the K glass on the A7. In fact one lesser advantage touted of MF is that with equal MP count, because you are enlarging less the image and have larger photosites, you have less CA and older lenses are better balanced sharpness wise with the sensor.

11-02-2014, 11:13 AM   #827
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,267
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
...brings back memories of developing B/W in the darkroom (the bathroom!) and of Antonioni's movie "Blow up"... a masterpiece which I warmly suggest if you haven't seen it yet.
I have seen it. Masterpiece indeed
But darkroom isn't old memories for me (fortunately). Still love it.
11-02-2014, 06:34 PM   #828
Forum Member




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 75
QuoteOriginally posted by y0chang Quote
IBIS requires a larger image circle as well as large amounts of movement of the sensor. The larger the sensor the larger the movement. This means the optical stabilization of a FF may be stop or more worse than a stabilization of a smaller sensor. The sony A99 is the only FF IBIS that was created, i wonder how sony solved those issues (maybe SLT gives some sort of advantage?)
Sorry, but no. Years before SLT technology had even been invented, Sony had released the a900 and a850, both of which are image stabilized.
11-02-2014, 07:16 PM   #829
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,736
QuoteOriginally posted by XMACHINA Quote
Years before SLT technology had even been invented, Sony had released the a900 and a850, both of which are image stabilized.
I doubt that.

SLT technology was seen in the 1965 Canon Pellix:

Canon Pellix - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

11-02-2014, 07:21 PM   #830
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,869
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Oh, we cared, back in the day, because we could always crank the enlarger up to the top of the post!
And when we reached the top of the post we pulled a wider angle lens from a cheap camera and made a cheap mount so we could use it instead of the lens that came with the enlarger. Back in the days when all lenses had aperture rings, you could do such things. Of course, you got double distortion... distortion from the original lens on the camera, and more distortion from the lens you modified to use with your enlarger.
11-02-2014, 07:39 PM   #831
Forum Member




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 75
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
I doubt that.

SLT technology was seen in the 1965 Canon Pellix:

Canon Pellix - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Sorry, but no. "SLT" specifically refers to:

"...a Sony proprietary designation for Sony Alpha cameras which employ a pellicle mirror, electronic viewfinder, and phase-detection autofocus system. They employ the same Minolta A-mount as Sony Alpha DSLR cameras."

Reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_SLT_camera
11-02-2014, 07:55 PM   #832
Loyal Site Supporter
TedH42's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Colorado
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 480
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
And when we reached the top of the post we pulled a wider angle lens from a cheap camera and made a cheap mount so we could use it instead of the lens that came with the enlarger. Back in the days when all lenses had aperture rings, you could do such things. Of course, you got double distortion... distortion from the original lens on the camera, and more distortion from the lens you modified to use with your enlarger.
Or turn the post around 180 degrees and project on the floor instead of the standard enlarger base . Some enlarger heads could rotate 90 degrees (didn't have one of these) to project sideways onto the wall - creating up to WAY too much magnification.
11-02-2014, 08:03 PM   #833
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,869
QuoteOriginally posted by TedH42 Quote
Or turn the post around 180 degrees and project on the floor instead of the standard enlarger base . Some enlarger heads could rotate 90 degrees (didn't have one of these) to project sideways onto the wall - creating up to WAY too much magnification.
At one time or another I did all those things... these young whipper snappers just don't know what they're missing. But hey, if you saw Blow-Up, you were inspired. It was very disappointing I never found even one murder in the background of any of my pictures.

11-02-2014, 10:43 PM   #834
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,893
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
At one time or another I did all those things... these young whipper snappers just don't know what they're missing. But hey, if you saw Blow-Up, you were inspired. It was very disappointing I never found even one murder in the background of any of my pictures.

You just need to do some more photography in Detroit.
11-03-2014, 01:40 AM   #835
Pentaxian
LensBeginner's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,611
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
At one time or another I did all those things... these young whipper snappers just don't know what they're missing. But hey, if you saw Blow-Up, you were inspired. It was very disappointing I never found even one murder in the background of any of my pictures.
Well, there's still the "convince two girls to model" part (and following), or the "get the broken guitar from the rockstar in the club" part...
11-03-2014, 05:56 AM   #836
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,869
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
You just need to do some more photography in Detroit.
I lived I Windsor for 6 years, so, that would be funny if it weren't so painful. I was there for the riots, for the time when Detroit was pretty much the murder capital of the world. A friend had an apartment in the middle of it all. You had a poor population both blacks and white , so impoverished and so lacking in hope they were dangerous, a police force so under siege they adopted a bunker mentality, wouldn't even go in to many neighbourhoods without at least 6 officers, who drew their guns before they said "hello". I'm not sure there's anything like it today.
11-03-2014, 06:13 AM   #837
Site Supporter
Aristophanes's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,922
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I lived I Windsor for 6 years, so, that would be funny if it weren't so painful. I was there for the riots, for the time when Detroit was pretty much the murder capital of the world. A friend had an apartment in the middle of it all. You had a poor population both blacks and white , so impoverished and so lacking in hope they were dangerous, a police force so under siege they adopted a bunker mentality, wouldn't even go in to many neighbourhoods without at least 6 officers, who drew their guns before they said "hello". I'm not sure there's anything like it today.
Robocop.
11-03-2014, 09:51 AM   #838
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,893
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I lived I Windsor for 6 years, so, that would be funny if it weren't so painful. I was there for the riots, for the time when Detroit was pretty much the murder capital of the world. A friend had an apartment in the middle of it all. You had a poor population both blacks and white , so impoverished and so lacking in hope they were dangerous, a police force so under siege they adopted a bunker mentality, wouldn't even go in to many neighbourhoods without at least 6 officers, who drew their guns before they said "hello". I'm not sure there's anything like it today.
Funny, I lived in Dearborn for ~6 years.
11-03-2014, 10:04 AM   #839
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,869
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Funny, I lived in Dearborn for ~6 years.
One of my dads friends was the Minister of the Unitarian Church in Dearborn, I was there a few times. The guy's son, who was a few years younger than me had an AA battery and a 6 volt ignition coil attached to the door of his room. If you weren't careful when you went to visit, you could get quite the jolt, which of course followed by howls of laughter, followed by the explanation that even though it was like 24,000 volts, because there was no amperage it didn't kill you. There ya go, a lesson learned in Dearborn. Not a terribly useful one but hey...

In terms of my ability to remember something that happen so long ago... getting hit with 24,000 volts tends to stand out in your mind...
Some will say that explains a lot about me... but I'm not encouraging them.

My line is I made full recovery, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
11-03-2014, 12:19 PM   #840
Moderator
Site Supporter
MarkJerling's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wairarapa, New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,560
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
One of my dads friends was the Minister of the Unitarian Church in Dearborn, I was there a few times. The guy's son, who was a few years younger than me had an AA battery and a 6 volt ignition coil attached to the door of his room. If you weren't careful when you went to visit, you could get quite the jolt, which of course followed by howls of laughter, followed by the explanation that even though it was like 24,000 volts, because there was no amperage it didn't kill you. There ya go, a lesson learned in Dearborn. Not a terribly useful one but hey...

In terms of my ability to remember something that happen so long ago... getting hit with 24,000 volts tends to stand out in your mind...
Some will say that explains a lot about me... but I'm not encouraging them.

My line is I made full recovery, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Has it improved?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, development, dslr, engineers, ff, full-frame, gallery, hands-on, idea, information, lens, lenses, market, mirrorless, model, nikon, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, photographyblog, photos, price, sensor, tc, tcs, telephoto, thread, time
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
One more time, but in a funny way: Crop Sensors vs Full Frame carlosodze Pentax Full Frame 32 10-16-2014 01:15 PM
From Full-Frame Sony... to Pentax... to Full-Frame Canon Mr_Canuck Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 42 01-21-2014 12:50 AM
Full frame or no full frame.... Deedee Pentax K-3 14 10-08-2013 05:39 AM
Vivitar flash no fire, no smoke either! telfish Flashes, Lighting, and Studio 10 04-15-2011 08:48 PM
Need more megapix? Future possibilities and no need for full frame! rburgoss Pentax DSLR Discussion 57 10-16-2008 03:16 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:41 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top