Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 130 Likes Search this Thread
09-18-2014, 09:06 PM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

bobdobbs, you should be totally sympathetic towards slackers like Ricoh.

ALL HAIL !!!!

M

09-18-2014, 09:11 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobdobbs Quote
D750
I wanted the D700 for a long time and the D750 has definite allure with where it's sitting in specs and price, but me and my Three Amigos have all eyes fixed on the horizon at this point.
09-18-2014, 09:16 PM - 1 Like   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
bobdobbs, you should be totally sympathetic towards slackers like Ricoh.

ALL HAIL !!!!

M
09-19-2014, 01:22 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I've written to Ricoh HQ, Japan, and have received an affirmative reply, very recently. So, sorry, my comments are not just wishful thinking.
Could you please share with us their reply ?

09-19-2014, 01:45 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Of course Pentax engineers are working on a full frame camera, but will they ever release one and, if so, how soon? That's the question. Out of the nine major camera manufacturers four produce full frame. Why don't the others? Who knows? Perhaps they don't see sufficient demand to warrant going into production, Perhaps they are keeping their powder dry and like Pentax are "developing" a full frame camera. Ricoh has said that it will "study market conditions" before deciding whether to produce an FF camera, which might mean anything. I hope they do, but more than that, I hope their business strategy ensures that Pentax cameras will be made long after I am gone.
09-19-2014, 02:29 AM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
Of course Pentax engineers are working on a full frame camera, but will they ever release one and, if so, how soon? That's the question. Out of the nine major camera manufacturers four produce full frame. Why don't the others? Who knows? Perhaps they don't see sufficient demand to warrant going into production, Perhaps they are keeping their powder dry and like Pentax are "developing" a full frame camera. Ricoh has said that it will "study market conditions" before deciding whether to produce an FF camera, which might mean anything. I hope they do, but more than that, I hope their business strategy ensures that Pentax cameras will be made long after I am gone.
What has changed as far as I can tell, is they have gone from deciding whether to produce a FF camera, they have, to deciding when to release it. If you look at recent releases, it makes economic sense to delay a FF launch till the new year.
09-19-2014, 02:46 AM - 1 Like   #22
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Canon, Nikon, Sony, Leica - produce
Olympus and Panasonic - the system is 100% crop-system.
Sigma - it could I think, but FOVEON is too expensive and it's enough to have APS-C FOVEON cameras at the market.
Sigma is rather marginal player on camera market.
Samsung - crop system and APS-C lenses.
Fuji is the same as Samsung.

Only Pentax has FF lenses in production and has no FF camera.

09-19-2014, 03:18 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"Study market conditions" means exactly what it says. Each corporation must build a business case for a product in development prior to release to manufacturing. The efforts by Pentax personnel to build a solid enough business case for a FF body by Pentax have never been convincing enough to give the product a green light. That's the only reason that there has not been one to date, and no words written in these forums will ever change that or affect the decision in any way. That's my first and last post on this topic.
09-19-2014, 03:48 AM - 2 Likes   #24
Forum Member

Original Poster
I interpret "study market conditions" as "see how much longer we can milk our current products".

But that's just me.
09-19-2014, 05:56 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
They couldn't even provide lenses with marking on them. Apparently they are not very close to production.
Of course they could. They did not for obvious reasons.
09-19-2014, 06:06 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
blablabla... That's been "confirmed" for years now. Still waiting...
Dude . . . .. that attitude is so yesterday.
09-19-2014, 06:08 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Of course Pentax engineers are working on a full frame camera, but will they ever release one and, if so, how soon? . . . . snip
Within nine months.
09-19-2014, 06:09 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobdobbs Quote
I have to say, all the little leaks are working on me. I stopped by my local friendly camera store today, just to "feel" a Nikon D610 and a Sony A7, and I have to say neither of them sucked. I wouldn't buy a D610, since the D750 is just around the corner, but the Sony is tempting considering I could mount Pentax-M glass on it, it's tiny, fast, and has a really nice EVF.
But you know that Pentax FF is going to set you back at least $2000,- if not more. While you can also get a nice deal on that tiny Sony A7 for $1,399 on eBay US (Click here). You can get a nice small FE prime for what you save there.
09-19-2014, 06:20 AM   #29
Pentaxian

... "nice small FE prime".... how many with decent IQ ?
Pentax FF speculation : no date, no price... are you nostradamus ?

Last edited by Zygonyx; 09-19-2014 at 06:27 AM.
09-19-2014, 06:22 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
... "nice small FE prime".... how many with decent IQ ?
Zeiss Sonnar FE 35/2.8 comes to mind.