Show Printable Version 130 Likes Search this Thread
09-23-2014, 02:01 PM   #256
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote

Credo quia absurdum.
Suzuki?

Not quite - not driven to believe the unbelievable; choosing to be believe the unknowable.

09-23-2014, 02:18 PM   #257
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
OH, and unrealted... my office just got a Ricoh copier... not at my recomendation trust me... what a POS. hate this thing!
Just don't go blaming Zeiss for Ikon!
09-23-2014, 02:22 PM   #258
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
as interesting as a pile of bear poop
There you go again with the technical terms.
09-23-2014, 02:29 PM   #259
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
There you go again with the technical terms.
We saw a lot of scat on my last walk in the woods. I didn't take any pictures but the images are kind of stuck in my brain... just had to share... I always try and incorporate my life into my posts, it makes me seem like more than just another know it all...

09-23-2014, 02:36 PM   #260
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
But I rather know where the supplier of said offerings was actually lurking...
09-23-2014, 02:47 PM   #261
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NicoleC Quote
Considering the higher end Lumia cell phones already rival P&S cameras for sensor size and quality, if smartphones continue to improve I suspect in a few years (say 5-20) the only dedicated camera market left will be users who "need" specific kinds of lenses (ex: macro) or demand the top quality, and top quality will have to be served with sensor sizes to big to be packed into a usable sized cell phone.
Possibly. Apple is certainly working to disrupt the camera market and if you look how far they've come in just 7 years, from the iPhone 1 to the 6, it's safe to say in 10 years, the experience and results will be far beyond our 2014 imaginations. For now, I still prefer using a DSLR but maybe that won't always be the case, or the benefits associated with it won't be worth the drawbacks.

QuoteQuote:
Oh course, by then cell phones could be passé and people have brain implants instead. Predicting the future is sketchy work.
Maybe. But at some point, you run into those pesky laws of physics. Audiophiles have a saying about speakers that applies to cameras, I think: A good big'un is usually better than a good littl'un.
09-23-2014, 03:09 PM - 1 Like   #262
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobdobbs Quote
A good big'un is usually better than a good littl'un.
" . . . a good big man must be better than a good little man . . . . ~ May 1863, London Society, “University Boat Races,” pg. 458: referring to weight of rowers of the Oxford Crew.

Q.E.D.

09-23-2014, 03:10 PM - 1 Like   #263
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tesla Quote
unless for some strange reason you don't want them to release a FF..
I suspect that some may not want Pentax to release a full frame as it will complicate their lives.
Let me explain. There are basically three categories of people when it comes to complaining: Those who have legitimate reasons to complain about various things (they're called "the majority of us"), those who complain because nothing they didn't design, build, or do is ever good enough (they're called malcontents), and those who complain just to stir up the muck (they're called trolls.)
The folks in the first category will be happy if Pentax produces a FF camera. If they want one, they'll be happy because they can have one and even if they don't want one they'll be happy for their fellow Pentaxians who do. The folks in the latter two categories however, will find life more difficult. Right now, for them, life is easy. They only have one issue to champion to keep themselves amused. When pentax releases a FF though, each will have to go in search of a new soapbox because the one they have been standing on all this time will have splintered into kindling beneath their feet. They'll need to get creative, they'll need to start actually listening to what other topics are being discussed, all in an effort to find a new cause célèbre.

Last edited by Parallax; 09-23-2014 at 03:23 PM.
09-23-2014, 04:02 PM   #264
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
How silly of me, you are right, Sony, Carl Zeiss, Rokinon, Zunow, Samyang, and SLR magic - who are all making FE lenses - make super crappy optics off course.
Canon lenses have auto-aperture (and allegedly poor autofocus) on Sony with the adapter.

I'm shooting a Canon tilt-shift on Sony. Works great, and since tilt-shifts are inexplicably never autofocus, I lose nothing. So...
09-23-2014, 04:06 PM   #265
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Canon lenses have auto-aperture (and allegedly poor autofocus) on Sony with the adapter.

I'm shooting a Canon tilt-shift on Sony. Works great, and since tilt-shifts are inexplicably never autofocus, I lose nothing. So...
Wow, nice piece of kit... I'm jealous.
09-23-2014, 04:12 PM   #266
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Did you forget that IBIS allows smaller, lighter, less expensive lenses? Ricoh doesn't need to build ILIS into every single lens they force you to buy.
That's one of the reasons I bought into Pentax - more expensive cameras, but less expensive lenses. Luckily I bought my lenses when they were still less expensive than the competition.

Nowadays they seem to bring the price of the cameras down to more-closely resembling the competition but the lenses seem to be more expensive to me.

---------- Post added 09-23-14 at 04:13 PM ----------

Wow, nice piece of kit... I'm jealous.
Yup. The worst thing about buying my first tilt-shift lens is that now I want three tilt-shift lenses. One is clearly not enough.
09-23-2014, 04:18 PM   #267
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
That's one of the reasons I bought into Pentax - more expensive cameras, but less expensive lenses. Luckily I bought my lenses when they were still less expensive than the competition.

Nowadays they seem to bring the price of the cameras down to more-closely resembling the competition but the lenses seem to be more expensive to me.

---------- Post added 09-23-14 at 04:13 PM ----------

Yup. The worst thing about buying my first tilt-shift lens is that now I want three tilt-shift lenses. One is clearly not enough.
I'm with you 100 percent on that one... you have any sample images yet?... I hope you live near some mountains or something...
09-23-2014, 04:42 PM   #268
Veteran Member

I'm with you 100 percent on that one... you have any sample images yet?... I hope you live near some mountains or something...
Just got it a few weeks ago, took it on a trip for the first time. Got back Sunday, processing them right now.

I don't think this is the style you're after but here's a silly pic anyway.

Don't worry, I took both kinds. Country and Western.
09-23-2014, 04:54 PM   #269
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
What I find most interesting about this infatuation with "full frame" is that Fuji doesn't get nearly as much criticism for sticking with a "cropped" sensor as Pentax does. Fuji is a darling of the industry while Pentax is a goat, but suspect that some of that is self-inflicted. If we all just went out into the world, took great photos and shared them proudly as Pentaxicans, without the Full Frame Fever and focusing on what Pentax is versus what it isn't then maybe people might have a more respectful view of the brand.

Pentax is to blame as well, but I don't have enough fingers and toes to count the number of newbies that come here and are quickly told that the glass is half empty.

The truth is, I'd put my K-3 and DA/FA primes up against any Fuji any day of the week and there'd be nothing in it. But perceptions are stubborn things...
Because the K-mount is built for a FF sensor and lens. The Fuji X-mount is built for APS-C from the ground up.

I wouldn't recommend putting your DA primes up against the Fuji. 14mm? Fuji definitely wins. 21/23mm Fuji definitely wins. 56mm/55mm Fuji definitely wins. Pentax wins with the 31/35mm, but that's about it. I haven't tried the Fuji 18mm, 27mm, or the 60mm, but the ones I have tried have had fantastic IQ. The Fuji bodies are not as good as the K-3, but Fuji has better glass.
09-23-2014, 05:08 PM   #270
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Because the K-mount is built for a FF sensor and lens. The Fuji X-mount is built for APS-C from the ground up.

I wouldn't recommend putting your DA primes up against the Fuji. 14mm? Fuji definitely wins. 21/23mm Fuji definitely wins. 56mm/55mm Fuji definitely wins. Pentax wins with the 31/35mm, but that's about it. I haven't tried the Fuji 18mm, 27mm, or the 60mm, but the ones I have tried have had fantastic IQ. The Fuji bodies are not as good as the K-3, but Fuji has better glass.
Without sample images, such posts are nonsense. Each person needs to decide for themselves what image they like best, or if they like the Pentax rendition. It's a disservice to all to post such (lack of) data. If you can't bother showing us what you're talking about, why post? Everyone needs to have the chance to look at the images, and decide for themselves, I can live with Pentax, or I should have a Fuji, or even if they agree with your analysis, at all.

I mean really sharper than this 1:1 pixel peeper?

Uncropped image...

Ok, I gotta ask.. in what way better? This is an 18-135 image, and i don't see a lot of room for improvement, you can count every hair if you want, and where you can't, it's the limits of the sensor, and the DoF, not the limits of the lens... but I'm open, enlighten me. Show me what you're talking about.