Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 130 Likes Search this Thread
09-24-2014, 06:58 AM   #316
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
It's interesting that within all this defense of Fuji there aren't the standard criticisms that have been levied against Pentax here and elsewhere. Stuff like:

- They are short-sighted for not providing an upgrade path to users to full-frame.
- APS-C is doomed as full-frame prices come down. They will be doomed if they don't release full frame
- They can't be considered a serious camera company if they don't offer a full-frame camera
- Pros shoot full frame. As a market they are smaller but they buy products with higher margins and are very influential. If you don't offer full frame then you just can't compete
- Full frame is better. I need/want it. If they don't offer full-frame, I won't even consider them.

So why do these claimed market dynamics apply to Pentax but not Fuji?
Here's a complaint you forgot to level against Fuji, and it's been going on since the S1 Pro days. They inflate their ISO values, then claim they have cleaner high ISO images.

09-24-2014, 07:03 AM - 1 Like   #317
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear.
How years ago in days of old, when magic filled the air.
T'was in the darkest depths of Mordor, I met a girl so fair.
But Gollum, and the evil one crept up and slipped away with her, her, her....yeah.
Didn't you forget something?
09-24-2014, 07:04 AM   #318
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would permanently relegate the brand name Pentax as well as any unique identifying characteristics (K-mount) to the dustbin and start over with something that has a positive image. Think that little shot on the back of the K-3 was a mistake? I think it was a test.
I think the goodwill value of the Pentax brand was a fair proportion of the Pentax purchase price. That said, I also think the brand recognition value diminishes daily because the older folks who possess that name recognition are leaving the market due to old age and mortality. If Ricoh did some advertising and effective marketing to promote the brand I may have felt otherwise.

We'll know the gig is up if the Pentax brand is slapped on the same junk "Polaroid" and "Bell and Howell" are.

M
09-24-2014, 07:13 AM   #319
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
We'll know the gig is up if the Pentax brand is slapped on the same junk "Polaroid" and "Bell and Howell" are.
WG-M1 - not quite 'brand raider' status but a Kodak by a different name.

I'm not saying the decision is in - so far it feels like Ricoh considers Pentax a viable brand. But we should hope no one in a position to make a decision ever reads this Forum. When even people with legitimate, reasoned opinions such as Falconeye have thrown on the towel . . . . .

09-24-2014, 07:14 AM   #320
Pentaxian

Nobody here in the last few pages have said anything about Fuji's lack of a full-frame sensor as a liability. And then there's this...
Most of the Pentax is doomed hits come from this forum

add -dpreview and it's down to 323
09-24-2014, 07:17 AM   #321
Pentaxian

"The fullframe smoked beneath the moon;
At Ricoh, they heard the tramp of doom."
09-24-2014, 07:22 AM   #322
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Here's a complaint you forgot to level against Fuji
My pet hate is that Fuji refuse to publicly release any specifications for the EV sensitivity of their AF or exposure systems. Panasonic, Olympus, Pentax, Sony, Nikon, Canon do, Fuji don't.

09-24-2014, 07:26 AM   #323
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Most of the Pentax is doomed hits come from this forum

add -dpreview and it's down to 323
I'm getting different numbers. You should do these searches in Incognito mode so that your own personal web habits or geography don't impact results.

And I'm happy to report that New Camera News has only 3 "Pentax is doomed" results!
Attached Images

09-24-2014, 07:26 AM   #324
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobdobbs Quote
Maybe. But at some point, you run into those pesky laws of physics. Audiophiles have a saying about speakers that applies to cameras, I think: A good big'un is usually better than a good littl'un.

My eyeballs are considerably smaller than camera sensors, yet far better. Much of that is due to the software behind them. Not being any kind of optical engineer I can't venture to guess the technological breakthroughs needed to get to that level. Then we can work on the full range of incredible eyesight characteristics in the bird world that could be duplicated in a meaningful way to us. I think we are a long way from size being the theoretical limiting factor.
09-24-2014, 07:30 AM   #325
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NicoleC Quote
My eyeballs are considerably smaller than camera sensors, yet far better.
Eyes only have acuity in one small spot - the rest is pretty blurred. You wouldn't want a camera lens like that.
09-24-2014, 07:31 AM   #326
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Think that little shot on the back of the K-3 was a mistake? I think it was a test.
I think it was a dog pissing on a fire hydrant. Its fire hydrant.
09-24-2014, 07:33 AM   #327
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NicoleC Quote
My eyeballs are considerably smaller than camera sensors, yet far better. Much of that is due to the software behind them.
Software? There's a long way yet to go.

I have it on good authority humans consciously utilize 5% of our visual capacity*, having through evolution determined post processing the other 95% is not useful for efficient survival.

* I've lost 98% of my visual acuity - 100% in peripheral portions of my Field of View - and I am still fully functional (with slight behavior modifications).
09-24-2014, 07:35 AM - 3 Likes   #328
Veteran Member

Software? There's a long way yet to go.

I have it on good authority humans consciously utilize 5% of our visual capacity*, having through evolution determined post processing the other 95% is not useful for efficient survival.

* I've lost 98% of my visual acuity - 100% in peripheral portions of my Field of View - and I am still fully functional (with slight behavior modifications).
Sounds like you have cropped eyeballs. Can't be a pro then. Condolences.
09-24-2014, 07:37 AM   #329
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
My pet hate is that Fuji refuse to publicly release any specifications for the EV sensitivity of their AF or exposure systems. Panasonic, Olympus, Pentax, Sony, Nikon, Canon do, Fuji don't.
In my personal testing Fuji was the worst with low-light AF lock. Maybe that's why they want to keep it secret

That was a couple years ago, though, new bodies might be much better.
09-24-2014, 07:42 AM - 1 Like   #330
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sounds like you have cropped eyeballs. Can't be a pro then. Condolences.
Yep!! Can't shoot for schizz but I've kept the high MTF portion of the image circle so I can comment and review

Glass half full and all that.*

* The new OVF and diopter mechanism on the K-3 actually allows me to use a dSLR without eyeglasses or an antique Correction Lens Adapter M for the first time in 20 years.