Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2014, 01:35 PM   #511
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why do the haters hate?

Are they as Ahab to the Whale?
All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event–in the living act, the undoubted deed–there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there’s naught beyond. But ’tis enough. He tasks me; he heaps me; I see in him outrageous strength, with an inscrutable malice sinewing it. That inscrutable thing is chiefly what I hate; and be the white whale agent, or be the white whale principal, I will wreak that hate upon him. Talk not to me of blasphemy, man; I’d strike the sun if it insulted me.

10-07-2014, 04:52 PM   #512
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I went crawling around on ANY 85 FA F1.4 reviews

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
All great lenses. If you talk about FA*85mm then that is a good lens to own.
Couldn't find one that said the FA* 85 F1.4 had a CA problem... Any thoughts?
10-08-2014, 04:29 AM   #513
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GlassJunkie Quote
Couldn't find one that said the FA* 85 F1.4 had a CA problem... Any thoughts?
Well it has CA for sure, but I don't considder this as a big problem. Lenses are what you can do with it and not about the things you can't do with them.

K-7 and FA*85mm f2.2

10-09-2014, 03:10 PM   #514
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
To me the biggest issue right now is, if Pentax were to release a FF frame with shake reduction, would the old FA lenses have an image circle big enough to allow it's use. If you're going to use an FA on a tripod on a 2 second delay it makes no difference. If you're going to shoot concerts or something that needs the extra couple stops SR provides, you might want to wait and find out what the final deal is.

(...).
Do you know how many Minolta lenses happen not to have an image circle big enough to allow their use on Alpha 850/900/99 (24x36 cameras with on-sensor shake reduction)?

The answer is: none.

10-09-2014, 03:50 PM   #515
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Do you know how many Minolta lenses happen not to have an image circle big enough to allow their use on Alpha 850/900/99 (24x36 cameras with on-sensor shake reduction)?

Yeah, but that's completely the same.
10-09-2014, 07:13 PM   #516
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote

My DA 18-135 has erratic vignetting caused by the SR. It happens on my APS-c camera with a lens designed for it, and you say it can't happen of a lens that wasn't designed for it.... fine, don't consider this, go ahead and stock up on all the FA lenses anticipating the FF. All I can tell you is the patent applied for for the 70-200 had a larger images circle than would be needed for an FA lens. It's no sweat off my back one way or the other.
10-09-2014, 07:43 PM   #517
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My DA 18-135 has erratic vignetting caused by the SR. It happens on my APS-c camera with a lens designed for it, and you say it can't happen of a lens that wasn't designed for it.... fine, don't consider this, go ahead and stock up on all the FA lenses anticipating the FF. All I can tell you is the patent applied for for the 70-200 had a larger images circle than would be needed for an FA lens. It's no sweat off my back one way or the other.
Another possible reason it has taken so long. I wonder if FW could slightly digitally crop the image and still permit SR?

10-09-2014, 08:59 PM   #518
Veteran Member

All I can tell you is the patent applied for for the 70-200 had a larger images circle than would be needed for an FA lens.
No, it didn't. The claimed image circle in the patent was sized precisely for FF. No larger.
10-09-2014, 11:48 PM   #519
Veteran Member

First time I hear that ! My father never had problems with his 18-135. I never had problem neither with my DA lenses (DA15, DA21, DA35, DA17-70, DA50-135). Many buy sigma/tamron zoom and prime dedicated for APSC, I never heard they were made to support shake reduction (as they are primarily for Nikon/Canon after all) and I never heard somebody having a problem with theses lenses.

Honestly I would not bet anything of the supposed DA lense that cover the FF image circle to work on FF camera otherwise than with an APSC image as they were marketed as APSC only. But I don't see this shake reduction to be a big problem for any FF lenses.
10-10-2014, 01:39 AM   #520
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
First time I hear that ! My father never had problems with his 18-135.
That's because slight vignetting is corrected very easily. It's not really a problem. The DA 18-135 is a super versatile lens.

As for the image circle of existing lenses being a problem on an FF K-mount camera with IBIS: As long as the SR can be turned off there won't be any problem.
10-10-2014, 02:56 AM   #521
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think it will be OK. Maybe there will be a little more vignetting with older lenses, but as Clavius says, you will always have the choice to turn SR off if it bothers you, or to fix it in post or, just to crop the dark corners out. I think most full frame lenses will have an image circle that is at least a little bigger than 24 by 36 sensor -- biggest problem would be with really wide angle lenses and there SR is probably not as important anyway.
10-11-2014, 12:19 AM   #522

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well it has CA for sure, but I don't considder this as a big problem. Lenses are what you can do with it and not about the things you can't do with them.

K-7 and FA*85mm f2.2
Nice shot, very sharp!
10-11-2014, 05:32 AM   #523
Pentaxian

For me, it's still a toss up, 645D, 645z, full frame, or stay exclusively with APS-c. So my natural inclination is keep the money in the bank. I have lots of FF lenses already. There are still a few (31 ltd. and DA* 200 2.8) lenses I'd like to add to my APS_c collection. And the lenses I'd want for my FF are not available, as they'd all be in the 14-28 range, where Pentax has nothing for sale in FF glass. They do have a 25 in MF and the 28-45. + Pentax making the 14, 15 and 21 APS-c only lenses, is at this time troubling in terms of having to expand the line up. What are they going to do? Sell 2 15s? maybe a 24 and 28 for FF? They have lots of places to go, but nothing in place. I'm hoping they release some glass with the camera to make it at least an option.
10-11-2014, 09:13 AM   #524
Veteran Member

Correction...

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxino Quote
Nice shot, very sharp!
FA* 85 F1.4 @ 2.2?

Cheers,
Cameron
10-11-2014, 10:26 AM   #525

For me, it's still a toss up, 645D, 645z, full frame, or stay exclusively with APS-c. So my natural inclination is keep the money in the bank.
Same with me, although when I think about 645D vs 645Z, I think the 645Z is still worth the premium… here's why:

I own a K-5 as my primary, and a K20D and K10D as backup and 2nd backup, and a 645N and 3 lenses. So my high-ISO limit is the K-5, and it's ok but not excellent.

I thought about the K-3, but I'm not in a rush, and now I'd probably wait for either another price drop on the K-3, but more likely I'd only get another APS-C if the K-5 died.

So considering the 645D vs Z, the 645Z has excellent high ISO IQ, and the 645D doesn't. When I consider where/when I'd use a 645D for what it's built to do, it's ok, but the 645Z is just excellent all around. And it has the same fps as the good ol' K10D. Seems like a no-brainer, right?

And finally, I can cross the 645D off the list because that body might be just a shade more than a new FF body anyway.

So perhaps I can get a 36MP FF for less than a 40MP 645D. Maybe that means that the FF will be 24-ish MP? So it doesn't eat into the 645D and 645Z sales if it were 36MP? Or is the D getting retired? And if it's 24MP, that's where the K-3 camps out, so… it could be the indicator that the 645D is indeed toast and they are just selling off the last of them, and the FF will be 36MP.

That means the decision is 645Z 'now' -vs- FF 'later'. That's notionally a $6k savings, in round numbers, if we peg the Z at $10k and FF at $4k including grip.

The only thing holding me back from getting the 645Z now is the voice in the back of my head whispering 'buyers remorse' when the FF kicks the 645Z right in the spec sheet. Maybe not in terms of resolution, but in all other aspects. And for $6k less.

I think that's an excellent argument for Pentax to price the FF quite high, actually. It has to justify itself over the K-3, but it can't be a 645Z killer for only $2500. Can it? I'm thinking in the high $3's, like $3750. Not $4k. (we all know Pentax can't do 4k anyway… snerk…)

Except, as you noted, glass; I'm covered except at the very wide end. I bet we some motion there before too long though… too much chatter about new lenses lately.