Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2014, 04:15 PM   #541
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
It's a conundrum for me. Having trouble deciding what lens, if any, I should purchase for low-light.

The Sigma 50 is sharp but leaves room for improvement in bokeh.
The 1.4G has good bokeh but leaves room for improvement in sharpness.
The 1.8G is a bit slower than I really want.
The Zeiss Otus doesn't have AF. Plus even if it did, it's too expensive for me to justify... most of my shots are outdoors/daylight.

Right now I'm just sticking with Mrs. ElJamoquio's Sony + 50mm F/1.8.
We were dumping pictures to the iPad over drinks and playing with different gear. The 1.8G is a very impressive lens for the price. We didn't have a 1.4G. The Canon 50L was the least impressive given the cost. I had expected the Fuji 56mm to be the one I liked the most (I've used it several times), but after comparing the Df with the 58mm and the Canon 5DIII with the Sigma I thought they were both better than the Fuji IMO. Of course the X-T1 w/56mm is a $2,300 package. The Df/58mm & 5DIII/50mm Sigma are $4,000+ package. My Sigma 50mm was right down the middle.

Of the bodies we had. I still like the K-3 ergonomics the best. Canon 5DIII second. Fuji X-T1 (with large metal grip - not a battery grip) third. The Canon 7D 4th. I liked the two Nikon bodies least. I really didn't like the Df as much as I thought I would.

10-13-2014, 04:25 PM   #542
Veteran Member

You'd think that something 'easy' like a 50mm would be... well developed? But of course I quibble over the minutiae. I'm sure that any of those lenses would be great. Of course I recently sold my FA50mm F/1.4, though, too... I just never really enjoyed shooting that lens.

Pentax's user-interface is the best in the DSLR world... in my opinion, of course.

If you open that up to 'ILC', though, I prefer the Sony A7. But we'll see what Pentax brings out next.
10-13-2014, 04:39 PM - 1 Like   #543
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well I'm in a position where I have to make a choice - then make the best of that choice. I can't buy all these bodies and lenses from different makers and sweat over details. I have to make my play and then work to make that play, well, work.

Consequently all the talk about the A7 series and Nikon or Canon this or that isn't helpful to me. It just sounds like something I don't want to hear any more, but it can't be avoided because thread titles become non-descriptive of thread content after a while. Every thread seems to become a discussion of some other camera brand.

Sure, we can Ignore a Forum, and single Threads now, and Users, but sooner or later you've 'Ignored' the entire place.

There's an entire 'Other Brand' Forum, I think - but I've Ignored it - intentionally.

(And I'm quite aware I could well be on a large number of Ignore User lists myself ).
10-13-2014, 04:51 PM - 1 Like   #544
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
You'd think that something 'easy' like a 50mm would be... well developed? But of course I quibble over the minutiae. I'm sure that any of those lenses would be great. Of course I recently sold my FA50mm F/1.4, though, too... I just never really enjoyed shooting that lens.

Pentax's user-interface is the best in the DSLR world... in my opinion, of course.

If you open that up to 'ILC', though, I prefer the Sony A7. But we'll see what Pentax brings out next.
I was about to buy the A7r. The A7r with the 50mm F/2 Loxia would be a great complement to my K-3 kit. I went and spent a couple hours with a friends A7 and the kit 28-70mm. After about an hour my hand started to cramp up and was literally sore the next day. I had the same issue with the Fuji X-T1 until I tried it with the larger metal grip (not a battery grip). The Pentax ergonomics are just about perfect, but even my K-3 could be a little bigger for my hands and I would be happy.

Hopefully Ricoh bring a modern version of the A 50mm F/1.2. I would love to see a D-FA* 50mm F/1.2 with HD coatings and fast AF.

---------- Post added 10-13-14 at 07:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Every thread seems to become a discussion of some other camera brand.
If Ricoh was actually doing something, we would all love to be talking about it. I would have loved to have taken a new D-FA* 50mm F/1.2 HD on my photo-walk last Saturday. Other brands are actually doing things. New systems, new lenses, new sensors and new sensor technology. Officially Ricoh is "studying the market". Sure we got flashing LED lights and more color combinations.....

Start a thread about what you want to talk about.

10-13-2014, 07:54 PM   #545
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
If Ricoh was actually doing something, we would all love to be talking about it.
That's a fair criticism.

Ricoh should keep the Pentax pot visibly bioling, especially if they really do have serious plans for FF. A regular trickle of FF updates or solid 'rumours' from Japan would certainly be nice to hear at the moment.
10-13-2014, 09:40 PM   #546
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
A regular trickle of FF updates or solid 'rumours' from Japan would certainly be nice to hear at the moment.
They just showed very strong hints of what's to come at Photokina. But of course you can't chat forever about two nameless FF lenses behind glass :-)
10-13-2014, 09:52 PM   #547
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
They just showed very strong hints of what's to come at Photokina. But of course you can't chat forever about two nameless FF lenses behind glass :-)
They showed an actual prototype 14 years ago.

10-13-2014, 10:28 PM - 1 Like   #548
Veteran Member

They showed an actual prototype 14 years ago.
I suspect there are still some people of influence within Ricoh who were involved with that prototype and that

1) they believe they were "this" close to bringing a camera to market that would have spelled the end of Pentax, as proved by Contax's experience with their FF camera which had the same sensor,

2) they are overly cautious about assessing chances of success in the FF market as a result.
10-13-2014, 11:57 PM   #549
Veteran Member

Hopefully Ricoh bring a modern version of the A 50mm F/1.2. I would love to see a D-FA* 50mm F/1.2 with HD coatings and fast AF
Yes I mean obvioulsy this is the most critical hole in the line up... I mean we just have an FA50, DA50, DFA50, DA55 & FA43 to serve you as normal lenses. You could also try the old or new sigma 50mm (that you already have no ?). Even your past experience comparing 50mm show that a lens like FA43 is very likely to get the best result despite its not perfect MTF wide open. Still you always want something else than what is available!

Honestly I agree with you with the FA50 that I don't like it (I own it). I brought the FA77 and this one is simply wonderfull, only regret is it is a little long sometime. I'll sell the 50 I think and maybe replace it with FA43. That the point there already choice!

If Ricoh was actually doing something, we would all love to be talking about it. I would have loved to have taken a new D-FA* 50mm F/1.2 HD on my photo-walk last Saturday. Other brands are actually doing things. New systems, new lenses, new sensors and new sensor technology. Officially Ricoh is "studying the market". Sure we got flashing LED lights and more color combinations.....

Start a thread about what you want to talk about.
If Ricoh did exactly what you want you mean. Expending its MF line is something that no other are doing and that is much more meaningfull. Would you have been out with a 645Z (even with a 645D) you would have gotten the best sharpness, overall rendering and high iso performance (for the 645Z) and made all your buddies jealous of the thing. But no... because it doesn't please you personnaly, it simply doesn't count. Even through you can get a 645D used for not so big price. The most funny maybe is the equivalent 75mm lens cost less and is smaller than the FF equivalent !

There 3 zooms in K mount to be anounced, 2 tele that many were wanting for quite some time, and a new replacement for the kit lens. Again apparently, it doesn't count. Recently we also got a wonderfull 1.4 TC, and K3 was the best APSC camera in the market from the day it was out till photokina new products are available.

But not, if it is not EXACTLY the thing you want this day (not what you wanted 6 month ago or you'll want in 6 months) you'll consider they do NOTHING. Sometime, with all due respect it look like childish behavior.
10-14-2014, 02:52 AM   #550
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Yes I mean obvioulsy this is the most critical hole in the line up... I mean we just have an FA50, DA50, DFA50, DA55 & FA43 to serve you as normal lenses.
If mounted on a current Pentax body, the normal lenses would be the FA31, the DA35/2.4 or the DA35 Ltd (and maybe DA40 and FA43 if you stretch "normal" a bit).

What was missing on that "nifty fifty photo walk" was simply a K-5 or K-3 with an FA31 :-)
(I don't have the FA31, so I would have brought my K-5 with DA35 Ltd)
10-14-2014, 03:33 AM - 1 Like   #551
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Then I would miss all the witty remarks from the resident Pentax apologists.
I didn't think we had anything to apologise for.
10-14-2014, 04:36 AM - 1 Like   #552
Veteran Member

If mounted on a current Pentax body, the normal lenses would be the FA31, the DA35/2.4 or the DA35 Ltd (and maybe DA40 and FA43 if you stretch "normal" a bit).

What was missing on that "nifty fifty photo walk" was simply a K-5 or K-3 with an FA31 :-)
Agree totally but they focussed on the focal lens more than on field of view. So for example they compared Fuji (APSC) with Nikon DF (FF)...

As for 35mm focal lens, the problem is that it is difficult to find a lens that is not great, so you could no trash the brand based on the lenses.

I mean the DA35 f/2.4 is quite innexpensive and is sharp border to border. His rendering is very very nice, on a very high level. If you really need to spend more, there FA35 seen as a little better (I tend to think mostly because it is more expensive and has higher finish, sligtly wider apperture than anything else), DA35 ltd, FA31 and FA43.

FA31 is one of the best lens out there since the begining of photography, all brand together. It would have got many nominate on their test... But this is Pentax so i guess this is a no go for guys posting on Pentax Forum!
10-14-2014, 08:01 AM - 1 Like   #553
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
If Ricoh did exactly what you want you mean. Expending its MF line is something that no other are doing and that is much more meaningfull. Would you have been out with a 645Z (even with a 645D) you would have gotten the best sharpness, overall rendering and high iso performance (for the 645Z) and made all your buddies jealous of the thing. But no... because it doesn't please you personnaly, it simply doesn't count. Even through you can get a 645D used for not so big price. The most funny maybe is the equivalent 75mm lens cost less and is smaller than the FF equivalent !

There 3 zooms in K mount to be anounced, 2 tele that many were wanting for quite some time, and a new replacement for the kit lens. Again apparently, it doesn't count. Recently we also got a wonderfull 1.4 TC, and K3 was the best APSC camera in the market from the day it was out till photokina new products are available.

But not, if it is not EXACTLY the thing you want this day (not what you wanted 6 month ago or you'll want in 6 months) you'll consider they do NOTHING. Sometime, with all due respect it look like childish behavior.
If Ricoh did something worth talking about, then we would be talking about it. This is the "News and Rumors" forum, not the "What was released last year forum". Part of your problem is that you are on the wrong sub-forum. The purpose of the forum it to discuss FUTURE products. If it bothers you that nobody is talking about the 645z then go to the 645 sub-forum. If you want to hear people talk about the K-3 then there is a sub-forum for that.

There is a thread on this sub-forum to discuss the zoom lenses, but since 2 of them are simply unmarked mock-ups there really isn't anything to discuss. I can't really talk about lenses I have never used or seen. What I can do is talk about lenses that I have used and express my opinion on what I hope they do in the future.

What I don't understand is why you feel the need to jump into the conversation. I didn't even say anything negative about Pentax in my remarks about our nifty 50 photowalk and you still got your panties all twisted up. Every board has its Fan-boys, brand apologists, and corporate loyalists, but that seem to be all that is left on this board. Are you getting paid by Rioch? IF you're getting paid then i understand why your so concerned with the opinions of random people on the internet, but if your acting this way for free, then you might want to get some help.
10-14-2014, 08:10 AM   #554
Pentaxian

Let me understand. If Ricoh Imaging is doing some amazing medium format stuff, we should only talk about it on the 645 subforum. If they're doing APS-C cameras, we have a subforum for that too. If they're launching some compacts, or the Q - yep, dedicated subforums.
Anything they're doing (Ricoh/Pentax News) or are expected to do (Ricoh/Pentax Rumors) should NOT be discussed here. Instead, we should pretend they're doing nothing at all. At the same time, we should ignore the "Other brands" section and talk about how Fujifilm, Sony, Samsung etc are so much better.
Those not complying with this requirements are Pentax apologists.

Is this an accurate summary?
10-14-2014, 08:12 AM   #555
Veteran Member

I was shooting with my Sigma 50mm because it was a nifty 50 walk, same with the Fuji. One of the reasons though was to see how it compared to the newer Sigma 50mm Art that was there. Obviously its of limited use to compare different lenses on different systems, but the results were interesting.

---------- Post added 10-14-14 at 10:30 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Let me understand. If Ricoh Imaging is doing some amazing medium format stuff, we should only talk about it on the 645 subforum. If they're doing APS-C cameras, we have a subforum for that too. If they're launching some compacts, or the Q - yep, dedicated subforums.
Anything they're doing (Ricoh/Pentax News) or are expected to do (Ricoh/Pentax Rumors) should NOT be discussed here. Instead, we should pretend they're doing nothing at all. At the same time, we should ignore the "Other brands" section and talk about how Fujifilm, Sony, Samsung etc are so much better.
Those not complying with this requirements are Pentax apologists.

Is this an accurate summary?
This is the "News & Rumors" sub-forum. If it is something that they are "expected" to do, then sure speculation fits in this sub-forum. That's basically what rumors are.

We talk abut Sony or Samsung because they make sensors, and since Pentax uses or has used Sony or Samsung sensors there is reason to talk about what they are doing, because there is a good chance we will see the same sensors in future Pentax bodies. Is that hard to understand? Fuji, Sony, & Samsung are on the leading edge right now when it comes to innovation. Since Ricoh doesn't make sensors or image processors we have to look at the people who do to have an idea what Ricoh is going to do in the future. The Pentax apologists are the ones who don't understand this and think the Pentax brand exists in a vacuum.

We can't talk about future sensor technology that Ricoh might use without looking at Sony, Samsung (BSI), Fuji/Panasonic (organic), or even Sigma (Foveon). OK.... Let's only talk about the sensors that Ricoh makes from now on. No discussing any camera unless it has a Ricoh made sensor. We can all live in the fantasy land created by the resident Pentax apologists.