Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2014, 05:53 AM   #646
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
It they where really practical, everybody would instantly see the difference between FF shoots and APSC shoots, regardless of apperture, isos, speed. Most of time through, compare A4 prints (8x12") and you'll not be able to see any difference. It is not like we were speaking something substencial like FF vs 8"x10" where the 8"x10" would really have and edge (even today with film).
I can clearly see the difference between APS-C and FF photos shot with low light.

10-24-2014, 06:35 AM - 1 Like   #647
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
I can clearly see the difference between APS-C and FF photos shot with low light.
But I hate them both, FF shot in low light and APS-c shot in low light... I refuse to speculate on which I might like more. Once you get to a certain level of noise, it can become kind of campy.. where more might be preferable. But I don't do that style, so I'm just speculating.
10-24-2014, 10:38 AM   #648

Photos: Albums
They brought the price of K-3 down to now $896.95... FF soon to be out maybe?
10-24-2014, 10:57 AM   #649
Veteran Member

Usually the manufacturers will try to move heaven and earth to push up a product to make it out before Christmas.

If they planned to have it out for christmas they would've announced it by now... or very very soon, and we don't have any rumors to that effect.

Since they couldn't compress timing to before Christmas, I would expect a Spring launch at the earliest.

10-24-2014, 11:18 AM - 1 Like   #650
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
But I hate them both, FF shot in low light and APS-c shot in low light... I refuse to speculate on which I might like more. Once you get to a certain level of noise, it can become kind of campy.. where more might be preferable. But I don't do that style, so I'm just speculating.
Come on ! You can choose between very noisy, subject fully in focus (with same level of noise for APSC and FF as APSC can be kept more open) or not noisy but mostly out of focus with wide apperture ! With APSC you get a little more in focus and a little more noisy while with FF you get a little less in focus and a little less noisy !

That's game changer
10-24-2014, 11:25 AM   #651
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Come on ! You can choose between very noisy, subject fully in focus (with same level of noise for APSC and FF as APSC can be kept more open) or not noisy but mostly out of focus with wide apperture ! With APSC you get a little more in focus and a little more noisy while with FF you get a little less in focus and a little less noisy !

That's game changer
Choose which one I hate more? hmmm... why would I do that?

Which do you like best, being hit in the head by a hammer, or being hit in the head by a baseball bat?
10-24-2014, 11:32 AM   #652
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
A few low light shoots, would you get the APSC or FF ones ?

Last edited by Nicolas06; 10-24-2014 at 11:51 AM.
10-24-2014, 01:32 PM   #653
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxino Quote
They brought the price of K-3 down to now $896.95... FF soon to be out maybe?
Agreed, they certainly seem to be milking K-3 sales now in preparation for the next K-mount release. Either K-3 replacement or FF (the latter is the more likely, all things considered, methinks)

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Usually the manufacturers will try to move heaven and earth to push up a product to make it out before Christmas.

If they planned to have it out for christmas they would've announced it by now... or very very soon, and we don't have any rumors to that effect.

Since they couldn't compress timing to before Christmas, I would expect a Spring launch at the earliest.
Also agreed. The proximity of Christmas makes a 2014 announcement highly unlikely.
10-24-2014, 02:02 PM   #654
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep to all - plus I think Ricoh seems to release bodies, especially, but anything -- when it is ready for release, and not before.
10-24-2014, 02:33 PM   #655
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Yep to all - plus I think Ricoh seems to release bodies, especially, but anything -- when it is ready for release, and not before.
I see that as a very good thing!
10-24-2014, 02:35 PM - 2 Likes   #656
Veteran Member

expect a Spring launch
You said 'spring launch'.

10-24-2014, 04:35 PM   #657
Pentaxian

I believe there will be a FF camera next year. I think that's what those unofficially announced lenses are for in Photokina and I'm sure those who can wait will like it. Still there will be those who will continue to have negative opinions about Pentax/Ricoh even if they come up with the FF product.

However, I would wish Pentax/Ricoh would keep us (those who opt to stay with APS-C) happy. I would like to see a K-3II without the mirror flap problem, a successor of the K-50 with high mega pixel sensor and with a possible battery grip option. Sensors for both that would be usable at 6400 on low light conditions.

Maybe this will make us all happy.
10-25-2014, 09:41 AM   #658

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
It's often not THAT bright.

'Full frame' film cameras like my MX have lovely bright OVF's, but that brightness doesn't seem to have transferred across completely to FF digital.

I've been spending some time recently behind a D610 viewfinder, and while it is bigger, it doesn't seem that much brighter at all compared to a K-3. Maybe all the overlays they put on OVF's nowadays - AF points, grids etc - dim the view a bit.
QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
I'd go along with this. I have a D810, and I really don't see the viewfinder as that much better than my K-3 - I can manually focus fine with both. And neither comes close to the MX.
Like I said, Nikons have their quirks.

But it's a fair point that FF digitials may not have as bright a VF like film does.

Still bigger though... and I like that - especially now that I'm a bit older.
10-25-2014, 09:55 AM   #659
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You said 'spring launch'.
Oh I would love to sling a pile of crap with this like they do!
10-25-2014, 12:01 PM   #660

I just want to point out that with the recent price drop of the K-3, though its probably obvious to a lot of us, that something new is certainly on the way soon. When the price of the K-5 dropped--that is when I bought mine--it wasn't but a few months later that the K-5ii and K-5iiS came out. As tempted as I am to buy a K-3, particularly with the extras that Adorama and B&H are offering along with it, I think I shall bide my time and see what that next thing will be. Hopefully it will be a full frame DSLR or at least, having experienced the dreaded mirror flap issue myself, an improved version of the K-3 (now flap free!).