Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 130 Likes Search this Thread
10-25-2014, 12:11 PM   #661
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Galileo'sDog Quote
I just want to point out that with the recent price drop of the K-3, though its probably obvious to a lot of us, that something new is certainly on the way soon. When the price of the K-5 dropped--that is when I bought mine--it wasn't but a few months later that the K-5ii and K-5iiS came out. As tempted as I am to buy a K-3, particularly with the extras that Adorama and B&H are offering along with it, I think I shall bide my time and see what that next thing will be. Hopefully it will be a full frame DSLR or at least, having experienced the dreaded mirror flap issue myself, an improved version of the K-3 (now flap free!).
Sure, something will come out some day but it will cost at $300 more than the K-3 is currently.

10-25-2014, 01:12 PM   #662
Veteran Member

I bought the K-5 after the price dropped from $1700 or something to $1400 or something. In November of 2010 IIRC. The K-5II didn't come out for 2 or 3 years.

I think something's coming, don't get me wrong, but I think it's coming in spring, not shortly. Hopefully I'm wrong.
10-25-2014, 02:12 PM   #663
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
I think something's coming, don't get me wrong, but I think it's coming in spring, not shortly. Hopefully I'm wrong
Sometime between SURPRISE!! and 6 months from now.
10-25-2014, 02:17 PM   #664
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
I bought the K-5 after the price dropped from $1700 or something to $1400 or something. In November of 2010 IIRC. The K-5II didn't come out for 2 or 3 years.

I think something's coming, don't get me wrong, but I think it's coming in spring, not shortly. Hopefully I'm wrong.

10-25-2014, 02:17 PM   #665
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Sometime between SURPRISE!! and 6 months from now.
What's that? the "you're in charge of the supplies" Chinese joke?
10-25-2014, 02:18 PM   #666

I bought the K-5 late winter/early spring 2012 by the price had dropped to around $1000. And I do agree by shortly probably not before the end of this year, spring of next year sounds about right.
10-26-2014, 07:13 AM   #667
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Galileo'sDog Quote
I bought the K-5 late winter/early spring 2012 by the price had dropped to around $1000. And I do agree by shortly probably not before the end of this year, spring of next year sounds about right.
When you brought your K5, it was between 1.5 year old, and you did that in spring. The K5-II was anounced in september of same year.

Now K3 is only 1year old, not 1.5 year. We are in autumn, not spring. As for price, camera were more expensive back then. Expect more a new APSC flagship in 1year than 3-6 months ! And the august/september release was K-S1, mid/entry level DSLR of their innovation line.

Another important thing to notice is that K5-II strategy was new... A new flagship willl almost nothing new. Same sensor, same everything except a better low light AF and for the K5-IIs no low pass filter. It really sounded like a product to wait it between and the naming reflected that. To pay full price for something only very slighty better do not look that interresting to me.

As for FF, they may release one, sure but it might follow a lifecycle totally different than APSC.

They had to lower price anyway to stay interresting compared to new offering like the newest samsung.

10-27-2014, 12:00 AM   #668
Pentaxian

I'm affraid K- 3 price drop is a consequence of poor sales rater than forthcomming novelty.
Plus, still no in-deph review of K-S1 whereas it hit the shelves (btw, very sparcely...) nearly one month ago : something has definitely to be improved in Ricoh's marketing....
10-27-2014, 12:11 AM   #669
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
I'm affraid K- 3 price drop is a consequence of poor sales rater than forthcomming novelty.
Plus, still no in-deph review of K-S1 whereas it hit the shelves (btw, very sparcely...) nearly one month ago : something has definitely to be improved in Ricoh's marketing....
Not really, K3 was much more expensive than D7100 that has same sensor, better AF and worse FPS and a few other differences. The K3 was a huge success as per Ricoh report, selling more than they were expecting.

Still there now more advanced APSC bodies than K3 and the initial price was really high (say compared to equivalent body from Nikon). There nothing special to see a price drop after one year. I mean the K5 sold well it started at 1500€ and finished at 500€. There nothing special with thoses prices!

Well having a good price will likely help a lot making sales for Christmas, that's a good strategy. Ricoh need money and they got it from the K3 sold at high price, they also need volume to increase market share.They already got volume from enthousiat but many didn't jump yet. Theses new prices should help.

We don't need to view everything that happen as obviously something negative !
10-27-2014, 01:42 AM   #670
Pentaxian

I hope you are right.

I still don't understand why K-S1 has been so unknown yet - it is virtually not seable in the traditionnal big labels in France (Fnac, Boulanger, ...) an only available there on order...

I still either don't understand the tremondously high price of the Fuji X-T1, more than one year after its release... and the continuous hype this EVIL seems to have amongst enthusiasts and medias...
10-27-2014, 03:58 AM   #671
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
I hope you are right.

I still don't understand why K-S1 has been so unknown yet - it is virtually not seable in the traditionnal big labels in France (Fnac, Boulanger, ...) an only available there on order...

I still either don't understand the tremondously high price of the Fuji X-T1, more than one year after its release... and the continuous hype this EVIL seems to have amongst enthusiasts and medias...
The K-S1 could be a case of head office giving the regional offices a hospital pass. Many of them may just not know what do with it. For every buyer attracted by the sticky delights of the Sweets Collection, another user might despair of the direction Pentax is taking and buy their next higher-level offering from another brand, so it's not all win-win. The argument has been that the K-S1 is not really intended for Western markets but in that case why is head office pushing out what must be a very similar marketing approach to us as to Asia and Japan. A pity really as the camera might well make an excellent companion for the Limited lenses and as a compact go-anywhere model but they never say this and at the moment the sticker price is silly. With Nikon's current cashback offer a D5300 and kit lens here is less than the K-S1 body-only. I'm with you on the eye-watering price of Fuji equipment. I try to keep away from it as up close there is too much risk of seeing an image of Zack Arias.
10-27-2014, 04:16 AM   #672
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
There's no way you're able to tell which camera took what photo unless you look at the EXIF. The publisher doesn't ask which camera took which photo. The designer doesn't ask. The readers don't ask. There's nothing in it. This whole idea of "winning" has everything to do with camerageeking and nothing to do with photography.
10-27-2014, 04:40 AM   #673
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
For every buyer attracted by the sticky delights of the Sweets Collection, another user might despair of the direction Pentax is taking and buy their next higher-level offering from another brand, so it's not all win-win.
If it's a "higher-level offering" they want, can't they just buy a black, classic-shaped K-3?
Those who'd do that already made up their mind, and they're just looking at some random excuse. Or they're listening to FUD.
10-27-2014, 05:12 AM - 1 Like   #674
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
If it's a "higher-level offering" they want, can't they just buy a black, classic-shaped K-3?
Those who'd do that already made up their mind, and they're just looking at some random excuse. Or they're listening to FUD.
But it's not about that. I's about Pentax users who want all black or conservative cameras complaining that those who would buy colours can get what they want. To my mind, I don't understand why I can't get my K-3 in that K-30 blue? Why because I want a technically advanced camera, have to put up with the tastes of these fashion neanderthals? Who made them the gods of the market. And why do they whine and cry like babies when their "I've got a pickle up my butt" opinions aren't respected.

The whole thing is an example. Some want power to live as they please, some want power over. No joy in their own life, but lots of vim and vigour put towards making sure no one else has any joy in theirs either. If the colour of your camera doesn't bring you any joy, god forbid someone else should be getting any from theirs. What a bunch of puritans.
10-27-2014, 08:28 AM   #675
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I's about Pentax users who want all black or conservative cameras complaining that those who would buy colours can get what they want.
It isn't just Pentax users.

Yesterday at the frozen custard stand some dude toting a T3 told me my silver FA43 looked amateurish on my K-3.