Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 130 Likes Search this Thread
10-27-2014, 08:46 AM   #676
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
It isn't just Pentax users.

Yesterday at the frozen custard stand some dude toting a T3 told me my silver FA43 looked amateurish on my K-3.
That's why I never go to the frozen custard stand. I hate dudes toting Ti3s.

Living in Whitney, I have to ask for a picture of the frozen custard stand. We don't have such novelties.

10-27-2014, 08:58 AM - 1 Like   #677
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Living in Whitney, I have to ask for a picture of the frozen custard stand. We don't have such novelties.
Here's a photo of the product*. I'll have to work on one of the actual stand.

1. Chocolate Malted Custard with Pistachios
  2. Mocha Custard with crushed Heath Bar
10-27-2014, 09:07 AM   #678
Pentaxian

Whoa, mind blowing stuff there.
Reminds me of a few years ago when a couple of new Russian immigrants a doctor and a dentist, were helping me move. They had a truck and had to keep busy with odd jobs while working on their North American qualifications. A Mr. Freezie truck came by and I bought them both slushies. They both had a sip and one said "Wow this is special drink." Now that I'm in Whitney I feel a bit like that sometimes. Things happen out in the world I know nothing about.
10-27-2014, 11:01 AM   #679
Veteran Member

#5 Reason for missing St Louis is the frozen custard
(I love Doozles in Florissant as well)

#1 is the free St Louis zoo, which rivals any zoo that you have to pay for, and this is coming from someone that had an annual pass to the San Diego Zoo.
#2 is the Missouri Botanical Garden
#3 Free museums in Forest Park
#4 Pappys Smoke House

10-27-2014, 12:08 PM   #680
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Whoa, mind blowing stuff there.
It's like real french ice cream on steroids - super smooth and creamy.

FWIW, many a young person has been able to attend college because the owner offers to pay any tuition shortfall for his loyal employees. There are some conditions, but the Drewes family is very, very generous.

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
(I love Doozles in Florissant as well)
Haven't had that - but I live South!
10-27-2014, 12:26 PM - 1 Like   #681
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Never heard of "Frozen Custard"! Sounds interesting. Although, "crushed Health Bar" does not sound like something I'll order!
10-27-2014, 12:38 PM   #682
Pentaxian

We are so awesome at digression, it's difficult to actually comprehend sometimes, "now wait, half a page ago, he said... and I said..." but really, it's all about the frozen custard. That's where the universe was steering us.

10-27-2014, 12:47 PM   #683
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
I hope you are right.

I still don't understand why K-S1 has been so unknown yet - it is virtually not seable in the traditionnal big labels in France (Fnac, Boulanger, ...) an only available there on order...

I still either don't understand the tremondously high price of the Fuji X-T1, more than one year after its release... and the continuous hype this EVIL seems to have amongst enthusiasts and medias...
'cos the K-S1 is essentially a japanese product.

As for X-T1 it is the first proper mirrorless cam (yes, almost as big as a dslr... ironic huh ?)
10-27-2014, 01:16 PM - 1 Like   #684
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
.. The argument has been that the K-S1 is not really intended for Western markets but in that case why is head office pushing out what must be a very similar marketing approach to us as to Asia and Japan. ...
Latest marketing flop, with horridly photoshopped image of a young woman holding a minuscule K-S1, speaks volumes.

There obviously was not any marketing material for the K-S1 done, especially containing:
A. summer time and bright sunshine (as opposed to snowy and stormy weather to advertise ruggedness of the K-3),
B. some idea about what that camera can be used for and what it was designed for.

There was no marketing ideas prepared in terms to what exact audience and what exact messages K-S1 should deliver.

Here is the stock photo used:

And here is the result. The result was amateurish execution in forced conclusion about the use of K-S1. And the good providence enabled us to see what they have done in the process and what the company thinks about its users.

10-27-2014, 01:32 PM   #685
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
'cos the K-S1 is essentially a japanese product.
OK then why this...
Digital SLR Cameras - Nikon D5100, Canon Rebel | Henry's Camera - Henry's best camera store in Canada

Or this...

NEW HD PENTAX DA 560mm F 5.6 ED AW LENS SUPER-TELEPHOTO WEATHER-RESISTANT items in Prodigital2000 store on eBay!

Seem there are lots of KS-1s in Canada... so why is it essentially a Japanese product.
10-27-2014, 01:48 PM   #686
Pentaxian

Perhaps the Product Story can give us a hint? They don't say specifically if they're target (or not) a certain geographical area, though...
Development Story?K-S1 | RICOH IMAGING
10-27-2014, 01:57 PM   #687
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Whatever. From Clackers' samples on the other thread it looks like a really competent camera in its own right and the sensor appears to be very capable. From the interviews with the Product Engineer Ricoh seems to have done a lot of work miniaturizing things, and changing the interface was a technological challenge. There's really a lot of typical Pentax magic in the camera - the stuff we're accustomed to seeing in the groundbreaking cameras like the K10D and K-3. We keep thinking this is a 'lightweight' (and I don't mean light) camera for iPhone users when in reality it's a pretty darned good camera. We should think of it as a K-x replacement - tiny and good!
10-27-2014, 02:17 PM   #688
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Latest marketing flop, with horridly photoshopped image of a young woman holding a minuscule K-S1, speaks volumes.

There obviously was not any marketing material for the K-S1 done, especially containing:
A. summer time and bright sunshine (as opposed to snowy and stormy weather to advertise ruggedness of the K-3),
B. some idea about what that camera can be used for and what it was designed for.

There was no marketing ideas prepared in terms to what exact audience and what exact messages K-S1 should deliver.

Here is the stock photo used:

And here is the result. The result was amateurish execution in forced conclusion about the use of K-S1. And the good providence enabled us to see what they have done in the process and what the company thinks about its users.
I think 'mistakenly released picture' is the most probable explanation.
10-27-2014, 02:32 PM   #689
Pentaxian

We keep thinking this is a 'lightweight' (and I don't mean light) camera for iPhone users when in reality it's a pretty darned good camera. We should think of it as a K-x replacement - tiny and good!
Exactly, i took the 15th anniversary of my daughter as an excuse to offer her one (the white and silver version) ; and i have to say its a very capable and snappy camera, allowing excellent shots even with 18-55 DA-L lens.
Btw this lens seems to have been sensibly improved in terms of fluidity of the zoom ring.
10-27-2014, 02:34 PM   #690
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Whatever. From Clackers' samples on the other thread it looks like a really competent camera in its own right and the sensor appears to be very capable. From the interviews with the Product Engineer Ricoh seems to have done a lot of work miniaturizing things, and changing the interface was a technological challenge. There's really a lot of typical Pentax magic in the camera - the stuff we're accustomed to seeing in the groundbreaking cameras like the K10D and K-3. We keep thinking this is a 'lightweight' (and I don't mean light) camera for iPhone users when in reality it's a pretty darned good camera. We should think of it as a K-x replacement - tiny and good!
I agree, which is why I don't get the way in which it's been presented in Europe and North America. Still, enough.

Last edited by mecrox; 10-27-2014 at 03:22 PM.