Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2014, 09:13 AM   #736
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote

Depending. There is also more depth of field and so you are less likely to see focus problems. I never see problems with my DA 15, because at least half the time I am shooting at f10 and hyperfocal.
Neither do I. Don't think I've ever seen an error with my iphone, either - sometimes massive DOF is your friend

10-29-2014, 10:17 AM   #737
Veteran Member

Well, here is another take on figures. If you take the 33 most popular Nikon DSLR cameras from the Flickr Camera Finder, then 13 per cent of the pictures uploaded and 23 per cent of the daily users are FF. For Canon's top 30 DSLRs, the figures are 18 per cent and 28 per cent respectively. Only rough figures which I may have computed incorrectly of course. There could also be an in-built bias towards APS-C since the figures for picture uploads are historical whereas FF started to become more popular only recently. Canon and Nikon both have three FF DSLRs in the top ten for each brand, with Canon doing especially well with the 5D Mark II and III and the 6D.

I suppose one answer is still the same: the more enthusiast you are, the more you are likely to own an FF camera and have a Flickr account whereas huge numbers of owners of regular APS-C DSLRs may never go near Flickr. Still, the figures do suggest that FF is pretty solid now and here to stay. It's clear that both Canon and Nikon have several very popular FF cameras which chart highly. There can only be more to follow. It's hard to argue against the notion that in order to sell lenses and accessories, a manufacturer needs to mine the enthusiast seam full-on and it has a lot of FF running through it now. There can't be much take-up of all that at the lower levels.
10-29-2014, 10:30 AM   #738
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
then 13 per cent of the pictures uploaded and 23 per cent of the daily users are FF. For Canon's top 30 DSLRs, the figures are 18 per cent and 28 per cent respectively.
So, you're saying despite less than 10% DSLR sales, there are 28% uploads to flickr... that's a stat worthy of study in itself... but really not any indication of anything. As secondary evidence, it needs a lot more corroboration.

The best way to know Pentax needs an FF.... their marketing department says so. They get paid to know these things, know the Pentax numbers, and aren't distracted by what may or may not be happening on flickr.

Analyzing flickr uploads is probably means something.. but you'd have to do a lot of research to find out what.

It could easily mean, people who shoot FF are more likely to have a positive opinion of their own pictures (justified or not) and therefore are more likely to share them using a service like flickr. IN fact their are so many permutations of what this information might mean, I'm going to stop here.

My mom liked to shoot slide film so she could show her slides to all of us at once... and talk about them, she had a great Nikon film camera. he fact that she wanted to share them (and talk about them) in no way indicated they were worth sharing, or talking about. it was usually a snooze fest. So... is flickr the new snooze fest?

Last edited by normhead; 10-29-2014 at 11:08 AM.
10-29-2014, 10:47 AM   #739
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The best way to know Pentax needs an FF.... their marketing department says so.
+1000
Good onya!

10-29-2014, 11:13 AM   #740
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
So, you're saying despite less than 10% DSLR sales, there are 28% uploads to flickr... that's a stat worthy of study in itself... but really not any indication of anything. As secondary evidence, it needs a lot more corroboration.

The best way to know Pentax needs an FF.... their marketing department says so. They get paid to know these things, know the Pentax numbers, and aren't distracted by what may or may not be happening on flickr.

Analyzing flickr uploads is probably means something.. but you'd have to do a lot of research to find out what.

It could easily mean, people who shoot FF are more likely to have a positive opinion of their own pictures (justified or not) and therefore are more likely to share them using a service like flickr. IN fact their are so many permutations of what this information might mean, I'm going to stop here.

My mom like to shoot slide film so she could show her slides to all of us at once... and talk about them, she had a great Nikon film camera. he fact that she wanted to share them (and talk about them) in no way indicated they were worth sharing, or talking about. it was usually a snooze fest. So... is flickr the new snooze fest?
Flickr is better than nothing since figures are hard to come by, even allowing for your frankly rather boorish reply. And no, I would not myself trust the marketing department of any company anywhere. These fellows are not paid to do what is in my best interests but to maximize their company's profits. Treat with long spoon!

Last edited by mecrox; 10-29-2014 at 11:23 AM.
10-29-2014, 11:20 AM   #741
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
My goodness me, you have so many obsessions you could stock a psychiatric safari park with them. Flickr is better than nothing since figures are hard to come by. And no, I would not myself trust the marketing department of any company anywhere. These fellows are not paid to do what is in my best interests but to maximize their company's profits. Treat with long spoon!
I'm afraid that all these numbers tell me nothing, since cameras like the K3 aren't even listed on Flickr.

I would still bet that there are 8 to 9 APS-C cameras sold for every 1 full frame camera. The price differential is such that there are plenty of folks who will buy a 4 or 500 dollar camera (with kit lens), but would go into shock at the concept of a 1500 dollar camera.
10-29-2014, 11:29 AM   #742
Pentaxian

Flickr is better than nothing since figures are hard to come by, even allowing for your frankly rather boorish reply. And no, I would not myself trust the marketing department of any company anywhere. These fellows are not paid to do what is in my best interests but to maximize their company's profits. Treat with long spoon!
As per usual with some, a different perspective leads to name calling.
QuoteQuote:
Flickr is better than nothing since figures are hard to come by,
So if you have misleading information, that's better than no information?

Not in my humble opinion. An open mind is better than fabricated mis-information.

But hey... think what you want.

10-29-2014, 11:30 AM   #743
Veteran Member

I'm afraid that all these numbers tell me nothing, since cameras like the K3 aren't even listed on Flickr.

I would still bet that there are 8 to 9 APS-C cameras sold for every 1 full frame camera. The price differential is such that there are plenty of folks who will buy a 4 or 500 dollar camera (with kit lens), but would go into shock at the concept of a 1500 dollar camera.
That's not the point - going back to what Falconeyes was saying. It's about buyers roughly called "enthusiasts"- that is, those who spend quite a lot of money on equipment by buying all those lenses and accessories as well as the better-specced camera bodies. Folks much further down the scale likely buy very little if anything beyond the lens which came with the camera. Since the lower end of the camera market is falling away gratis smartphones, the logic says a brand needs to attract as many enthusiasts as possible because, as the man said, they are where the money is - and the money which used to be elsewhere is drying up. So what the Flickr figures may well show is that FF is getting a solid hold among enthusiasts, more so than one might suppose, more so that the stock 90/10 figure for APS-C/FF which is often quoted. Or not - it's a matter of interpretation. This is not about the low end of the market. Ricoh has already said it's not really interested in that. It's about how well FF is doing further up the scale.

I know the K3 isn't listed on Flickr. But the Nikon and Canon cameras are. They are the brands with DSLR FF at the moment. The Pentax stats are a tiny speck compared to theirs.

Last edited by mecrox; 10-29-2014 at 11:37 AM.
10-29-2014, 11:46 AM   #744
Pentaxian

That's not the point - going back to what Falconeyes was saying. It's about buyers roughly called "enthusiasts"- that is, those who spend quite a lot of money on equipment by buying all those lenses and accessories as well as the better-specced camera bodies. Folks much further down the scale likely buy very little if anything beyond the lens which came with the camera. Since the lower end of the camera market is falling away gratis smartphones, the logic says a brand needs to attract as many enthusiasts as possible because, as the man said, they are where the money is - and the money which used to be elsewhere is drying up. So what the Flickr figures may well show is that FF is getting a solid hold among enthusiasts, more so than one might suppose, more so that the stock 90/10 figure for APS-C/FF which is often quoted. Or not - it's a matter of interpretation. This is not about the low end of the market. Ricoh has already said it's not really interested in that. It's about how well FF is doing further up the scale.

I know the K3 isn't listed on Flickr. But the Nikon and Canon cameras are. They are the brands with DSLR FF at the moment. The Pentax stats are a tiny speck compared to theirs.
The notion that you can only make money in the camera business selling to enthusiasts needs to be completely kicked in the butt. In actual fact you can lose just as much money targeting enthusiasts as you can any other way.

This analysis completely ignores the additional costs in providing enthusiasts with gear. More inventory, higher cost inventory, less frequency between sales... whether or not Pentax wants to compete in that market, it's not certain that it will be a financial success if they do. It's just as possible that Pentax needs to avoid the FF enthusiast market (because of market dynamics, brand recognition etc.) as it is likely that they can make money in that market.

If it was just "Pentax needs to release an FF to make money" and that was it, I'm sure they would have done it. In fact it's going to be a gamble. The fact that people think one way or the other doesn't make either one of them right. An open mind in the face of the unknowable is a wonderful thing.

Last edited by normhead; 10-29-2014 at 12:11 PM.
10-29-2014, 11:53 AM   #745
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think Ricoh said that they are interested in the full frame market, so not sure what you are saying there.

Flickr stats tell me nothing, I will repeat. Iphones are the most commonly used photographic device for flickr users. Are we going to say that they are also enthusiast cameras? Number one SLR is the Canon T3i? Maybe that's the market Ricoh should target...
10-29-2014, 12:21 PM   #746
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

These fellows are not paid to do what is in my best interests but to maximize their company's profits. Treat with long spoon!
Precisely incorrect, unless it is in your best interest to maximize corporate losses.

If your best interest is a FF camera, for the last decade or so they have been doing precisely what is in your best interest - but you have (apparently) not responded to the signal.
10-29-2014, 01:13 PM   #747
Veteran Member

Number one SLR is the Canon T3i? Maybe that's the market Ricoh should target...
I don't know if you were being sarcastic or not, but i personally do think that is the market Ricoh should target (not THE market but one of the markets). With the discontinuation of the K500, there is a big gaping hole in that price range.
The K-S1 is simply too expensive to capture a big chunk of the entry level DSLR market.
10-29-2014, 01:27 PM   #748
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I don't know if you were being sarcastic or not, but i personally do think that is the market Ricoh should target (not THE market but one of the markets). With the discontinuation of the K500, there is a big gaping hole in that price range.
The K-S1 is simply too expensive to capture a big chunk of the entry level DSLR market.
Well ya, right now it is... wait 6 months.
10-29-2014, 01:39 PM   #749
Veteran Member

I dunno. Ferrari doesn't make a cheap car, Leica doesn't make a cheap camera.

I'm happy if Pentax makes a good inexpensive camera but I'm happier if Pentax gets/stays profitable.
10-29-2014, 05:14 PM   #750
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Precisely incorrect, unless it is in your best interest to maximize corporate losses.

If your best interest is a FF camera, for the last decade or so they have been doing precisely what is in your best interest - but you have (apparently) not responded to the signal.
After a lifetime of my own in mainstream commercial business I'll make up my own mind about corporate finance and marketing departments, thanks all the same. I post some information derived from Flickr - a publicly available and often used resource, even if the usual caveats apply. It may be far from perfect but it is not the near-useless pile of nothing some of you make out. just because something is not precise, and has many pitfalls too, does not mean it cannot make useful points about a general direction. It's just one data point. Falconeyes mentioned another. There are plenty more out there. Another one would be the general rise in unit price of the CIPA figures for DSLRs, for example. They all point in the same general direction. The post does not mention Pentax or a preference for any brand at all, in fact. This is apparently too much for the next poster who is, yes, boorish and then the general sarcasm kicks in. There are all the signs here of an unhealthy group of inward-looking people, so there's nothing to learn, is there? I'm bowing out.