Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 130 Likes Search this Thread
11-02-2014, 07:16 PM   #826
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by XMACHINA Quote
Years before SLT technology had even been invented, Sony had released the a900 and a850, both of which are image stabilized.
I doubt that.

SLT technology was seen in the 1965 Canon Pellix:

Canon Pellix - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

11-02-2014, 07:21 PM   #827
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Oh, we cared, back in the day, because we could always crank the enlarger up to the top of the post!
And when we reached the top of the post we pulled a wider angle lens from a cheap camera and made a cheap mount so we could use it instead of the lens that came with the enlarger. Back in the days when all lenses had aperture rings, you could do such things. Of course, you got double distortion... distortion from the original lens on the camera, and more distortion from the lens you modified to use with your enlarger.
11-02-2014, 07:39 PM   #828
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
I doubt that.

SLT technology was seen in the 1965 Canon Pellix:

Canon Pellix - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Sorry, but no. "SLT" specifically refers to:

"...a Sony proprietary designation for Sony Alpha cameras which employ a pellicle mirror, electronic viewfinder, and phase-detection autofocus system. They employ the same Minolta A-mount as Sony Alpha DSLR cameras."

Reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_SLT_camera
11-02-2014, 07:55 PM   #829
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
And when we reached the top of the post we pulled a wider angle lens from a cheap camera and made a cheap mount so we could use it instead of the lens that came with the enlarger. Back in the days when all lenses had aperture rings, you could do such things. Of course, you got double distortion... distortion from the original lens on the camera, and more distortion from the lens you modified to use with your enlarger.
Or turn the post around 180 degrees and project on the floor instead of the standard enlarger base . Some enlarger heads could rotate 90 degrees (didn't have one of these) to project sideways onto the wall - creating up to WAY too much magnification.

11-02-2014, 08:03 PM   #830
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TedH42 Quote
Or turn the post around 180 degrees and project on the floor instead of the standard enlarger base . Some enlarger heads could rotate 90 degrees (didn't have one of these) to project sideways onto the wall - creating up to WAY too much magnification.
At one time or another I did all those things... these young whipper snappers just don't know what they're missing. But hey, if you saw Blow-Up, you were inspired. It was very disappointing I never found even one murder in the background of any of my pictures.
11-02-2014, 10:43 PM   #831
Veteran Member

At one time or another I did all those things... these young whipper snappers just don't know what they're missing. But hey, if you saw Blow-Up, you were inspired. It was very disappointing I never found even one murder in the background of any of my pictures.

You just need to do some more photography in Detroit.
11-03-2014, 01:40 AM   #832
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well, there's still the "convince two girls to model" part (and following), or the "get the broken guitar from the rockstar in the club" part...

11-03-2014, 05:56 AM   #833
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
You just need to do some more photography in Detroit.
I lived I Windsor for 6 years, so, that would be funny if it weren't so painful. I was there for the riots, for the time when Detroit was pretty much the murder capital of the world. A friend had an apartment in the middle of it all. You had a poor population both blacks and white , so impoverished and so lacking in hope they were dangerous, a police force so under siege they adopted a bunker mentality, wouldn't even go in to many neighbourhoods without at least 6 officers, who drew their guns before they said "hello". I'm not sure there's anything like it today.
11-03-2014, 06:13 AM   #834
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I lived I Windsor for 6 years, so, that would be funny if it weren't so painful. I was there for the riots, for the time when Detroit was pretty much the murder capital of the world. A friend had an apartment in the middle of it all. You had a poor population both blacks and white , so impoverished and so lacking in hope they were dangerous, a police force so under siege they adopted a bunker mentality, wouldn't even go in to many neighbourhoods without at least 6 officers, who drew their guns before they said "hello". I'm not sure there's anything like it today.
Robocop.
11-03-2014, 09:51 AM   #835
Veteran Member

Funny, I lived in Dearborn for ~6 years.
11-03-2014, 10:04 AM   #836
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Funny, I lived in Dearborn for ~6 years.
One of my dads friends was the Minister of the Unitarian Church in Dearborn, I was there a few times. The guy's son, who was a few years younger than me had an AA battery and a 6 volt ignition coil attached to the door of his room. If you weren't careful when you went to visit, you could get quite the jolt, which of course followed by howls of laughter, followed by the explanation that even though it was like 24,000 volts, because there was no amperage it didn't kill you. There ya go, a lesson learned in Dearborn. Not a terribly useful one but hey...

In terms of my ability to remember something that happen so long ago... getting hit with 24,000 volts tends to stand out in your mind...
Some will say that explains a lot about me... but I'm not encouraging them.

My line is I made full recovery, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
11-03-2014, 12:19 PM   #837
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One of my dads friends was the Minister of the Unitarian Church in Dearborn, I was there a few times. The guy's son, who was a few years younger than me had an AA battery and a 6 volt ignition coil attached to the door of his room. If you weren't careful when you went to visit, you could get quite the jolt, which of course followed by howls of laughter, followed by the explanation that even though it was like 24,000 volts, because there was no amperage it didn't kill you. There ya go, a lesson learned in Dearborn. Not a terribly useful one but hey...

In terms of my ability to remember something that happen so long ago... getting hit with 24,000 volts tends to stand out in your mind...
Some will say that explains a lot about me... but I'm not encouraging them.

My line is I made full recovery, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Has it improved?
11-03-2014, 07:36 PM   #838

Parts of Detroit are supposedly getting better (like Greektown), but I don't go down there very often.

A work buddy says that when he goes down to Detroit for an event, he runs all of the red lights to avoid getting car jacked. He also avoids taking the interstate freeway through Detroit in the off chance that his car brakes down!
11-03-2014, 08:07 PM   #839
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by drugal Quote
Parts of Detroit are supposedly getting better (like Greektown), but I don't go down there very often.

A work buddy says that when he goes down to Detroit for an event, he runs all of the red lights to avoid getting car jacked. He also avoids taking the interstate freeway through Detroit in the off chance that his car brakes down!
Wow! That sounds like Johannesburg (South Africa)! I visited Dearborn years ago, but never Detroit itself.
11-04-2014, 01:21 PM   #840
Veteran Member

Detroit is on average at least five times worse than Dearborn.

If you're there in the morning you're fine, though. I do NOT recommend running the red lights, that's just silly.

---------- Post added 11-04-14 at 12:22 PM ----------

Detroit fun:

Detroit2010June - hacktastic