Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2014, 07:39 PM   #16
Emperor and Senpai

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I ignore that thread and the OP. What am I even doing posting here?
That hurts. I've been boriscleto'd. Also, you're missing out on lutefisk, godzilla, and tokyo. Bacon too.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Ahh . . . another dSLR shooter.
I think I have 1 DLSRs.

09-20-2014, 07:50 PM   #17
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I think I have 1 DLSRs.
You said no K-3, so K-5 + K-01 + Q = 1 ?
09-20-2014, 07:54 PM   #18
Emperor and Senpai

Original Poster
You said no K-3, so K-5 + K-01 + Q = 1 ?
Yep. That's what I am assuming, unless the Q10 is less than of a DSLR.
09-20-2014, 07:55 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Ahh . . . another dSLR shooter.
I prefer the term "half-breed".

09-20-2014, 07:56 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Maybe Pentax must bring a new flagship camera every month, to make everybody happy, even they wouldn't buy one.
09-20-2014, 08:41 PM   #21

Sorry, but what is the point of this thread? Doesn't this stuff get old?
09-20-2014, 09:14 PM   #22
Site Supporter

The fractional-camera part ('fraid I started that elsewhere with my K-s1:K-3 ratio) or the Pentax is disssssapointing part?
I do fear the doooomed stuff is forcing newbies to ask us questions that we stir up in jest though
09-20-2014, 11:47 PM   #23
Pentaxian

I disponted with photokina 2014 in general

09-21-2014, 02:02 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
This is very true. No. real new development or technological braketrue from any manufactuar! The industrie is in dispair, sales are plumming, from 125 milion sales with the previous photokina down to less then 40 million this year.
09-21-2014, 02:20 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
Maybe Pentax must bring a new flagship camera every month, to make everybody happy, even they wouldn't buy one.
Perhaps next year Pentax will bring out a camera on a stick ( USB) that you can plug into a 3D printer and make print for yourself. Just gotta source your own sensor....

---------- Post added 21-09-14 at 06:52 PM ----------

Just imagine the K-01 if they'd taken it one step further and allowed interchangeable VF's, mirrorboxes & Sensors.. could be an interesting way to go.
09-21-2014, 06:19 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Just imagine the K-01 if they'd taken it one step further and allowed interchangeable VF's, mirrorboxes & Sensors.. could be an interesting way to go.
Wouldn't that be taking the Ricoh GXR one step further? Under the skin, the K-01 is a typical DSLR design, just stuck in LiveView.
09-21-2014, 06:22 AM   #27
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
This is very true. No. real new development or technological braketrue from any manufactuar! The industrie is in dispair, sales are plumming, from 125 milion sales with the previous photokina down to less then 40 million this year.
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Perhaps next year Pentax will bring out a camera on a stick ( USB) that you can plug into a 3D printer and make print for yourself. Just gotta source your own sensor....

---------- Post added 21-09-14 at 06:52 PM ----------

You all lament the state of the global economy, not the camera industry.
  • USA is finally entering the expansion phase of self-sustaining recovery but the shape of the employment base is materially different than a decade ago. The Baby Boom (40 million persons larger than it should be) is retiring now. We're through the acquisition phase of our life cycle. The American consumer can't bail out the world any more.
  • Europe still struggles with debt loads, a creaky political alliance, constant angst in the east, cultural friction, persistent high unemployment and their own demographic issues.
  • Japan - until quite recently the second largest economy on earth - continues to struggle with an ageing and actually declining population, deflation and the after-effects of 50 years of political stagnation. Certainly the government is attempting herculean stimulus, but after the first euphoric burst of energy there has recently been another pullback - sort of a post-adrenaline-rush collapse.
  • Pacific Asia (China) - The declining rate of economic growth (read that twice - it is a first derivative) may finally have bottomed, so the rate of growth may start increasing again - but it has consistently undershot expectations the last few years.
Is it any wonder that an expensive, single-purpose device has been sluggish when the only real global systemic growth product (smartphone) has a function that is easier, better and more fun to use for so many potential customers?
09-21-2014, 06:26 AM   #28
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Pentax is clearly not in the tech specs race like other manufacturers, but that doesn't mean they don't have an exceptional lineup of current products.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-21-2014, 07:04 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Wow Ricoh showed off two full frame k-mount lens prototypes and Ricoh France pretty much admitted that a FF is certainly coming and people are still complaining? They now have the class leading MF camera and class leading APS-C camera on the market, but its just not good enough right? The K-S1 might not make a lot of sense to some, but Ricoh is smart to go after the largest segment of DSLR buyers who typically spring for Rebels or entry level Nikons. Even if the K-S1 as a concept falls flat on its face in the market, I have to applaud Ricoh for daring to try something different. They learned some things from the K-01 (which wasn't their product anyways) and surely they will learn some things about the market's reaction to the K-S1. I read through a lot of comments about the camera and it seems that there is a fairly large group of people that like the design. Its sad. Ricoh has been Pentax's savior and yet there are many of you that skewer them every chance that you get. Without them there would have been no K-3, no FF camera, no 645Z. Their commitment to the 645 is probably the most encouraging thing if you ask me. The business model of saving major announcements for a trade show that happens every two years seems a bit outdated these days when we have a continuous stream of new product models that are updated nearly annually anymore. I kind of like Ricoh's current strategy of keeping new products a complete secret until they are ready to launch and then leaking details about them before the actual launch. It has worked well for them so far I think by keeping their name in the news fairly often.
09-21-2014, 08:10 AM   #30
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I expected the longer lens to be ready for market at Photokina. Pentax is far too slow at development. For a company utterly reliant on DSLR sales the gap in the long zooms is glaring, especially when Tamron and Sigma are stating clearly they will not support the mount.

There was no Ricoh GXR or mirrorless ILC based on the GR design concept. I consider that an oversight. It may not be ready but this is clearly where the market is headed in the non-DSLR segment. I half-expected a GR update to wi-fi, better rear LCD (articulating), and maybe an optional EVF. There's a LOT of $$'s left on the table in the higher-end compact segment where mobile OS consumers are looking for mobile high-quality compacts. Ricoh is #2 here to Sony and that is on the strength of ONE model.

Overall I think Pentax and Ricoh are hesitant or conservative in a couple of areas. While they have a knack for refining engineering such as the ergonomics and control systems, plus some great optics in packages divergent from the market norm. But they don't get video and the need for articulating LCDs, they think the tiny sensor Q actually competes (it is dead last in mirrorless sales in Asia and has a no-stock status in most of North America), and they are about to get hammered on their lack of wi-fi strategy. Nikon had a wi-fi ad-on strategy 12 months ago that got slammed and now they are moving towards an all-in wi-fi structure. Pentax is clearly a whole product cycle behind and that really slows down replacement purchasing for many of its customers.