Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2014, 08:11 AM   #31
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zosxavius Quote
... I kind of like Ricoh's current strategy of keeping new products a complete secret until they are ready to launch and then leaking details about them before the actual launch. It has worked well for them so far I think by keeping their name in the news fairly often.
We actually asked Ricoh Imaging about the lack of press releases at Photokina and their response was that they had decided to announce their news in the weeks leading up to the show rather than risk that their messages would drown in the barrage of news from other manucatures. Prior to Photokina we therefore saw a number of announcements: DA 645 28-45 mm zoom, Q-S1, K-S1, WG-M1, and the G800.

09-21-2014, 09:56 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well Ricoh isn't going to want to hear me say this but likely I'm done where I am in terms of buying anything other than maybe another used K-30 body (or 3) down the line. I've honestly seen nothing since the K-30 that I was into buying. I still might buy one more lens likely the 18-135WR but that's it too. I just don't have all that much motivation at this point to buy anything else unless they start releasing something that inspires me and that I can afford.

Between the K-30's and my E-P3's I'm pretty well covered hopefully for a couple of decades at least. I don't usually upgrade for the sake of upgrading so I'll be using these cameras till they're bookends. I really want them to last a while so I might get another K-30 body next year just to rotate them all out all the time. After that I might get one every 3 years or so till I have like six. No, I'm not kidding. I like the K-30 and E-P3's so much and they will be so cheap used that I can just see myself acquiring half a dozen of each and rotating them all out for the next few decades. As far as I am concerned the K-30 is the perfect camera and I can't really see wanting anything else. Since I'll be buying used that's pretty bad news for Ricoh-Pentax. The only way they're going to keep me buying is to give me cheaper primes, preferably WR primes and I have my doubts they ever will do that.

I still love Pentax but they're not really inspiring me to buy new...
09-21-2014, 12:25 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
I expected the longer lens to be ready for market at Photokina. Pentax is far too slow at development. For a company utterly reliant on DSLR sales the gap in the long zooms is glaring, especially when Tamron and Sigma are stating clearly they will not support the mount.
Once again: NO.
They won't announce a DFA lens prior to an FF cam launch. This is marketing 101.
If they don't want to announce an FF cam now, they won't announce an FF lens now. Simple.
09-21-2014, 01:08 PM   #34
Site Supporter

Don't worry, once the soooooo long awaited FF will be on the shelves ; you always can find somebody to deny it

09-21-2014, 01:13 PM   #35
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
They won't announce a DFA lens prior to an FF cam launch. This is marketing 101.
If they don't want to announce an FF cam now, they won't announce an FF lens now. Simple.
But they clearly put it on the roadmap. An and now is a prototype. All while the APS-C flagship is K-3 and the need for such a zoom has been glaring for a decade.

It has little to do with FF. They put the DFA 100mm WR Macro out regardless.
09-21-2014, 01:18 PM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
But they clearly put it on the roadmap. An and now is a prototype. All while the APS-C flagship is K-3 and the need for such a zoom has been glaring for a decade.

It has little to do with FF. They put the DFA 100mm WR Macro out regardless.
DFA 100mm Macro WR is optically identical to DFA 100mm Macro. DFA 50mm Macro and DFA 100mm Macro were launched in 2004. These lenses had then to be used both on digital bodies (the first Pentax DSLR , the *istD, was launched in 2003) and film bodies, hence the need for their image circle to cover the 24x36 format.

Besides, the optical formulas of DFA 50mm Macro and DFA 100mm Macro were quasi-identical to those of F 50 mm f/2.8 Macro (1988) and F 100mm f/2.8 Macro (1987): they were 24x36 lenses per nature if not per destination.

Last edited by Mistral75; 09-21-2014 at 01:23 PM.
09-21-2014, 01:39 PM   #37
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
The 'Pentax is doomed' line is getting more than a bit tired. Semi funny the first time...but enough already..
Once the horse is dead, you can beat it for a very, very long time.
09-21-2014, 01:50 PM - 3 Likes   #38

Pentax is Hyper Doomed,the only one company with a camera in every class......DOOMED

09-21-2014, 09:35 PM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
This is very true. No. real new development or technological braketrue from any manufactuar! The industrie is in dispair, sales are plumming, from 125 milion sales with the previous photokina down to less then 40 million this year.
No, it's like in gaming industry, developers present there games on personal events not at e3, because it's cheeper and more focused.
09-21-2014, 11:59 PM   #40
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by asahi man Quote
Pentax is Hyper Doomed,the only one company with a camera in every class......DOOMED
More-over, Pentaxians have got the ideal and greatest unofficial information source, thanks to you.
So, even Pentaxians are DOOMED
09-22-2014, 12:30 AM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I ignore that thread and the OP. What am I even doing posting here?
How did you get four images in your sig???
09-22-2014, 12:52 AM   #42

QuoteOriginally posted by asahi man Quote
No, actually Leica did it the first time. They have M-class for fullframe rangefinder, S-class for medium format, T-class for APS-C, and several fixed camera.
Oh yes, Leica don't have Q lines, you are absolutely right.
I wish Pentax can produce very good body design for the future FF system. Just food for thought: Coffee Time: Form vs Function vs Intention ? Minimally Minimal

Last edited by afan137; 09-22-2014 at 01:10 AM.
09-22-2014, 02:06 AM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Yes, this might be the only real reason why the prototype lenses didn't show any markings. Not because they're unfinished, but because of marketing tactics. Only leaves me with the question: Then why show them at all?
09-22-2014, 05:11 AM   #44
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MD Optofonik Quote
How did you get four images in your sig???
It's one image. I combined the 4 badges.
09-22-2014, 05:23 AM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by afan137 Quote
"One of the really outrageous examples is the Pentax K-5. There isnít really anything fundamentally bad about the camera. Itís just a vanilla camera. But then Pentax decided to produce this limited edition version with a silver paint finish to make it look more retro. This is wrong on so many levels. Silver paint on a plastic camera just so it can look like a film camera that it isnít."

The K5 is "vanilla" and "plastic"? If that's food for thought, my brain is vomiting!