Nikon D750
Sony A7 (and variants)

Teir 3 - professional level
Nikon D810
Canon 5D Mk3

Teir 4 - flagship professional level
Nikon D4s
Canon 1Dx

So where is Pentax going to place it's camera?
Pentax would avoid direct comparison at all cost. Never conform the market, but try to confuse it. So never compare Pentax to all-round companies like Nikon or Canon, the Ricoh Imaging's representative said that clearly (in the last Photokina interview of a week ago).
They will make a move, or make a product that may appear confusing because it is not directly comparable with anything out there. It will not be easy to classify (and users will forcefully try to, like the DPR for example).
It leaves users and reviewers scratching their heads, which for example K-S1 does. The FF will too.

09-24-2014, 03:11 PM   #77
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Pentax would avoid direct comparison at all cost. Never conform the market, but try to confuse it. So never compare Pentax to all-round companies like Nikon or Canon, the Ricoh Imaging's representative said that clearly (in the last Photokina interview of a week ago).
They will make a move, or make a product that may appear confusing because it is not directly comparable with anything out there. It will not be easy to classify (and users will forcefully try to, like the DPR for example).
It leaves users and reviewers scratching their heads, which for example K-S1 does. The FF will too.
Well I hope the K-S1 sells, it's available now, but I don't see movement yet.
09-25-2014, 05:58 AM   #78
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
The K-S1 didn't have me scratching my head. When I first saw it I saw shrinkage, and compactness and some real style to it. I love the mode dial on the back, but I'm disappointed in the loss of the control dial on the front.

I took another look at the pics by PF at Photokina, and the rear eyepiece looks a bit big. I thought it looked great in white, but those closeups of the black one looks real good.

I actually really liked the styling on the K-30, it looked real sporty and high tech. But the problem for me was the duck bill popup flash, now that looked goofy.

I just wish Pentax would pick a style, stick with it, and tweak it as they go.

But Pentax has done a smart thing and taken the mode dial off the top plate, it doesn't belong there. You can't keep tilting your camera up to see the mode dial, and sometimes if it was in front of you, you'd see some further options.
09-25-2014, 07:04 AM   #79
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zoolander Quote
The K-S1 didn't have me scratching my head. When I first saw it I saw shrinkage...
Yeah, I think that happened to a lot of us.

09-25-2014, 07:13 AM - 1 Like   #80
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

When I bought my first Pentax, the Ds, the salesman said I was buying the last Pentax to be made....they were doomed and soon to go out of business.
I see that salesman is still around, lurking on this Forum under various names....if he lives as long as Pentax, he is likely to be around for a very long time!

Regards!
09-25-2014, 07:55 AM   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
When I bought my first Pentax, the Ds, the salesman said I was buying the last Pentax to be made....they were doomed and soon to go out of business.
I see that salesman is still around, lurking on this Forum under various names....if he lives as long as Pentax, he is likely to be around for a very long time!

Regards!
Funny I heard a similar story from my salesman when I bought my K100D.

I also heard that when I bought my K5.

Didn't hear it when I bought my K3. but I went into a store yesterday and saw all new staff...haven't been there for a long time, so whatever turn over happens. Asked if they had a 60-250 I could see (my next potential K mount purchase) and was told I would be better off looking at a Canon 7D MII because Pentax isn't going to survive much longer. I gave him a strange look, then walked out with little more than an "oh really?"

salesmen are strange...
09-25-2014, 08:15 AM   #82
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
salesmen are strange...
Salesmen are motivated by immediate income, not the likelihood of generating more income.in the future.

In my business I can choose to be engaged for a small contractual fee per year paid quarterly, independent of product recommended, for an independent investigation, analysis, counseling and strategy, which I will monitor and adjust on an ongoing basis. Or I can choose to be engaged for a one-time purchase transaction commission that is 3 times my annual fee, and maybe make another one-time transaction later (for another similar commission).

Fewer than 5% of the salespeople working for my Firm choose the contract-retainer path, even though it is customer-focused, clean, independent and ethical. Most of the transaction salesmen sell whatever has the highest commission in any given month.

When a competitor contrasts his service to mine, the typical opening is, "He's going to want to charge you a fee . . . . . ", which is supposed to somehow be a negative thing.

09-25-2014, 08:55 AM   #83
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This thread echoes with the sound of salesmen...

of salesmen....

of salesmen!
09-25-2014, 09:23 AM   #84
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Absolutely...

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote

of salesmen....

of salesmen!
It's amazing how much of an echo can be heard originating in "empty suits" Ausgezeighnet!
09-25-2014, 09:35 AM   #85
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GlassJunkie Quote
It's amazing how much of an echo can be heard originating in "empty suits" Ausgezeighnet!
Chmn. Ricoh Imaging doesn't sound like an empty suit. If he can make happen what he says he wants for RIC we''ll have everything we want.

I think it is interesting in his interview he referred to THREE platforms (Q, K, 645) not FOUR. Ominous unless FF and MILC are derivatives on the K platform.
09-25-2014, 09:41 AM   #86
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Chmn. Ricoh Imaging doesn't sound like an empty suit. If he can make happen what he says he wants for RIC we''ll have everything we want.

I think it is interesting in his interview he referred to THREE platforms (Q, K, 645) not FOUR. Ominous unless FF and MILC are derivatives on the K platform.
Totally believe that the FF will be K, therefore a K mount platform
09-25-2014, 09:41 AM   #87
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was referring to the salesmen...

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

Saying Pentax was doomed over the decades
09-25-2014, 09:47 AM   #88
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote

of salesmen....

of salesmen!
What a rush!
09-25-2014, 09:57 AM   #89
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

FF Will be a K, Why would they invalidate the Legacy...

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
Totally believe that the FF will be K, therefore a K mount platform
I agree, RP will drive it to K, keeping the legacy compatibility value proposition. My quandry is I am not 100% what it looks like... Conventional DSLR, a mini-645 to differentiate from the other offerings... Picture this... a Rolleiflex modular approach (3003 smaller) that would use K lenses, with Mirrorless, apsc and FF modules that could be changed.... Even if just FF a 2/3 the size of 645z in FF that could leverage accessories from both platforms (APSc and MF) would "redefine" what a DSLR is... Smells like a pentax approach to being different....

09-25-2014, 10:03 AM   #90
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GlassJunkie Quote
I agree, RP will drive it to K, keeping the legacy compatibility value proposition. My quandry is I am not 100% what it looks like... Conventional DSLR, a mini-645 to differentiate from the other offerings... Picture this... a Rolleiflex modular approach (3003 smaller) that would use K lenses, with Mirrorless, apsc and FF modules that could be changed.... Even if just FF a 2/3 the size of 645z in FF that could leverage accessories from both platforms (APSc and MF) would "redefine" what a DSLR is... Smells like a pentax approach to being different....

He he, interchangeable backs, focusing screens, built-in waist level and eye-level finders

Pentax 24x36 digital = hybrid of Rollei SL 2000F / SL 3003 and Pentax LX ?

"a (...) modular approach (...) that would use K lenses, with mirrorless, apsc and FF modules that could be changed" = that was the essence of the Ace (mount) project.