Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 39 Likes Search this Thread
09-24-2015, 04:59 AM   #241
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Indeed, only a $1,750 lens...
Something got lost in translation then. I'm not buying a Tamron with less functionality (VC!) for more money.

09-24-2015, 05:07 AM   #242
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Something got lost in translation then. I'm not buying a Tamron with less functionality (VC!) for more money.
You'll have to if you want to use it with your Pentax camera: the Tamron lens doesn't and won't exist in Pentax K mount, unfortunately.
09-24-2015, 05:08 AM   #243
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
SDM? Does this mean we get screwdrive backup?
Think of it as re-badged "Tamron USD".
09-24-2015, 05:12 AM - 2 Likes   #244
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Think of it as re-badged "Tamron USD".
Indeed; this (Tamron's Ultrasonic Silent Drive - USD):

instead of that (Pentax's Super Drive Motor - SDM; the micromotor on the bottom of the picture)

09-24-2015, 05:22 AM   #245
Pentaxian

So it doesn't have a Stuck Drive Motor
09-24-2015, 07:59 AM   #246
Pentaxian

Or (eventually) Screw Drive Motor
09-24-2015, 08:03 AM   #247
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The branding as SDM is the same as the branding of the 18-250, also a Tamron built lens that dropped the VC and was $800 at launch while the Canikon version was selling for much less.

09-27-2015, 05:56 AM   #248
Veteran Member

... kick it. We need PZ functions back, like we had on Z-1p with the SMC Pentax-FA* 28-70mm F2.8 AL.... where is the problem now that we have ultra silent motors that are also energy-saving??? Even Nikon implemented Power-Zoom on their "1 Nikkor" series... I just bought me a Z-1p and played around with the functions of an SMC Pentax-FA 28-80mm F3.5-5.6 and imagine that in s i l e n t and with the AF powers of a K-3 or better... yummy.
09-27-2015, 09:48 AM   #249
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by patarok Quote
... kick it. We need PZ functions back, like we had on Z-1p with the SMC Pentax-FA* 28-70mm F2.8 AL.... where is the problem now that we have ultra silent motors that are also energy-saving??? Even Nikon implemented Power-Zoom on their "1 Nikkor" series... I just bought me a Z-1p and played around with the functions of an SMC Pentax-FA 28-80mm F3.5-5.6 and imagine that in s i l e n t and with the AF powers of a K-3 or better... yummy.
I suppose they could make a few PZ lenses for video work, but I wouldn't want one. PZ and OBF are functions common to point-and-shoot cameras that I have no use for.
09-27-2015, 10:40 AM   #250
Veteran Member

hm... OBF?? bubby dunno...

I played around with that all the time... today i munched a Kodak ISO 400 BW film in a few hours... i also love the focal length "memory"(clipping??).. button->50mm OR button ->85mm, etc... i also like the zoom whilst exposure features, etc. really nice effects possible directly to film...
i believe progress in any way is welcome... i think PZ was killed mostly by its sound level... Imagine powerzooming with your lens....: eye on the viewfinder(hybrid viewfinder... OF COURSE... ) you are zooming with only a slight movement and the hybrid viewfinder shows you which focal length you are at.. And as the K-3s AF is quite capable i allow myself to state: "The FFs AF will be better again". And therefore I think, that this proportion clipping(sry i am no native speaker) feature would be really cool if you are doing sports photography etc..

Another example: you in a fixed position with a 150-450 or a 250-600 or such with PZ capabilities... horse race, some other sports event WHATSOEVER... you are framing a horse or a car or soccer player or whatsoever and you have the proportions just as you want them. you press the "clipping button" Beckham is moving towards you. You wont need to do anything to keep David focused and framed with the same proportions, because you clipped all values with a short pressure on the lenses "clipping button" and now the lens does all this for you. it zooms out when david moves towards you, and vice versa. whilst it also keeps the picture sharp with permanent AF on Dave...

And i tell you what:

My Z-1P does just that... why should the upcoming FF DSLR be not capable of this? It could do even better and more silent... I still think it is cool. IMHO if one does not like progress and technical features, he/she should get himself an old ESII or a Super Ikonta....

a short zoom with SPZ and f:4 and a long zoom with SPZ and 4.5 thruout and i am fine or maybe just one 28-300 with that feature would be cool. LOVE Z-1P maybe i buy me some earbuds in form of hearts...