Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2014, 01:46 PM   #76
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,869
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Yeah stupid amateurs. Don't you dare touch anything Full Frame without a licence or we pro's will slap your ass. So stfu and go shoot pictures of your cat m'kay!
Thanks for saving me the effort of an equally sarcastic response...

But the real thing is, at $2400, I can't afford it. You can't sell me one, but if you want to give me one...


Last edited by normhead; 10-02-2014 at 02:30 PM.
10-02-2014, 01:47 PM   #77
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,450
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
You missed this:

[/sarc]
I've been on sort of a rant today. Time to rest,.
10-02-2014, 03:04 PM   #78
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 4,705
QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
What is wrong with the lens being priced at $2400, how much do you want to pay for it $179.99? Listen people if you don't want to play with professional toys then just go and skip stones by a lake (or buy cheap APS dslrs). I don't have issue with that price, provided the lens delivers in IQ. The FA 80-200mm f2.8 is over a grand that that's and that lens is over 10 years old. I'm sick and tired of people whining not having a full frame digital option on Pentax, and freaking out when people talk about prospective pricing in the two-three grand area. These are professional tools, Pentax doesn't expect any Jack, Joe and Marry to suddenly buy into this system. I won't expect the new Pentax 70-200mm f2.8 to be cheaper than the Sigma Sport 70-200mm or the Tamron equivalent, because I feel Pentax glass delivers much more than just high MTF scores. If you truly believe that Pentax glass is as good or better than Canon or Nikon then be prepared to pay accordingly
What's wrong? Really ? Justifying this as a pro shooter is like justifying you need a Roll Royce as a taxi driver. If you are part of the official coverings the Olympics I would agree... But would think you'd need longers focals too.

Anyway, you can get almost the same from sigma for $1000 and get a used tamron 70-200 screw drive, that has good 1:3 magnification for 450€. For most occasions you'll not be able to distinguish the photos.

Of course one can buy the Canikon, like one can buy Roll Royce. Is it even interresting or necessary for most peoples, including pro? I really doubt it. Don't see many taxi drivers or trucks drivers using Roll Royces. (Even through many plane have roll royce motors).

I really think that without the many pro on board that can buy useless gear and put it as investment and deduce tax from it (or make their client pay for it), nobody would buy theses lenses.
10-02-2014, 03:42 PM   #79
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,893
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Anyway, you can get almost the same from sigma for $1000 and get a used tamron 70-200 screw drive, that has good 1:3 magnification for 450€. For most occasions you'll not be able to distinguish the photos.
...assuming you got the shot...

10-02-2014, 07:55 PM - 1 Like   #80
Site Supporter
Stavri's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: at a Bean & Leaf
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,662
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Thanks for saving me the effort of an equally sarcastic response...

But the real thing is, at $2400, I can't afford it. You can't sell me one, but if you want to give me one...
Please don't feed the monkey's or they're start throwing their feces....

Disclaimer: I am an amateur photographer, my gallery posts here are purely comparative in nature.
I'm of the opinion that here's nothing wrong with having an FA* fast telephoto zoom in the low $2000 (the Da* 60-250 was north of $1500, or 990 euro when it came out) , nothing wrong with paying a little more for a FF Pentax. If you cannot afford the MSRP wait for the price to drop. Bear in mind that the the company makes no profit on second hand buyers. If the Pentax FF was a kick-started project most of those who complain about its nonexistence (and tear their hair out on the prospect of paying 2 grand for it) wouldn't be able to fund it. If you cannot fund it, then you have no business asking for it, its that simple.

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Yeah stupid amateurs. Don't you dare touch anything Full Frame without a licence or we pro's will slap your ass. So stfu and go shoot pictures of your cat m'kay!
Marc, Dino or Fred Flinstone whatever is your monicker, I don't think that your ONE photo on your gallery qualifies your in judging mine.

Last edited by Stavri; 10-02-2014 at 09:39 PM.
10-02-2014, 10:00 PM - 1 Like   #81
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,267
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
What's wrong? Really ? Justifying this as a pro shooter is like justifying you need a Roll Royce as a taxi driver. If you are part of the official coverings the Olympics I would agree... But would think you'd need longers focals too.

Anyway, you can get almost the same from sigma for $1000 and get a used tamron 70-200 screw drive, that has good 1:3 magnification for 450€. For most occasions you'll not be able to distinguish the photos.

Of course one can buy the Canikon, like one can buy Roll Royce. Is it even interresting or necessary for most peoples, including pro? I really doubt it. Don't see many taxi drivers or trucks drivers using Roll Royces. (Even through many plane have roll royce motors).

I really think that without the many pro on board that can buy useless gear and put it as investment and deduce tax from it (or make their client pay for it), nobody would buy theses lenses.
I said there would be stupid price arguments, here's one.
So, buying the Canon or Nikon lens is alright but buying the Pentax one is not because Sigma and Tamron can sell you the same (uh... NOT) lens at half the price.
Again, you wish for FF but you won't pay a dime for it.

And we moan because Pentax users are cheap. No wondeR.
10-02-2014, 10:54 PM   #82
Site Supporter
Zygonyx's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ile de France
Posts: 3,074
Le beurre, l'argent du beurre, et la laitière par dessus le marché
10-02-2014, 11:07 PM   #83
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Newcastle
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,552
Can I offer a lighter perspective ....

Perhaps one can use the FA* 80-200mm legacy lens as a useful yardstick for pricing I bought one in near mint condition for US$1,300 - if the new lens is its equal or better then I suspect you would be paying about that much and perhaps a little more bearing in mind the Tamron and Sigma competition is considerably cheaper (by comparison). I would imagine that such a product would not be overpriced to the point where very few could afford - that would be silly.

Anyway, if our keen for this sort of glass and have FF compatibility in mind then go and get yourself a FA* 80-200mm - problem solved - it is awesome glass!!!!!

10-02-2014, 11:29 PM   #84
Veteran Member
bossa's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 4,546
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Yeah stupid amateurs. Don't you dare touch anything Full Frame without a licence or we pro's will slap your ass. So stfu and go shoot pictures of your cat m'kay!
He didn't say that at all.
10-02-2014, 11:42 PM   #85
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 4,705
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
I said there would be stupid price arguments, here's one.
So, buying the Canon or Nikon lens is alright but buying the Pentax one is not because Sigma and Tamron can sell you the same (uh... NOT) lens at half the price.
Again, you wish for FF but you won't pay a dime for it.

And we moan because Pentax users are cheap. No wondeR.
Me I don't want FF... I'am too affraid it mean bigger optics. And the biggest problem of 70-200 for me is the size. I'am almost happy with what I have. I'am also invested in APSC and I would need to change half my gear. That's at least 4000€ to spend for an FF setup. Not worth the trouble.

As for engineering, I'am sure you can have good lenses for a bargain, I don't see any justification to spend more to milk Canon, Nikon or Pentax. I may finally buy one, but it doesn't mean I think the price is fair. I don't at all think Canikon is more justified than Pentax.

Realilty is that with some volume you could have better quality lenses like thoses Canon 70-200 for 500$ if they would sell it in huge quantity. This is exactly what happened for phones. In the end price are high because they are marketed as such (as the high end lenses) and because at this price & weight, almost nobody buy them.

Sigma/Tamron made a middle ground offering your high quality glass, maybe a bit less quality in term of AF or ultimate picture quality... And that the whole argument to spend twice the price. I don't think this is worth it.

I mean there always better and we all know that for ultimate quality, MF is better than FF... But most do not consider MF because it is too expensive. Some consider thoses 70-200 from Canikon not really because they give a huge difference toward the latest sigma, but just because it is still in their acceptable price range. They can throw the money and have a marginally better product. That's a way of thinking. That by no way the only way or the ultimate deal one can have in photography !
10-03-2014, 04:04 AM   #86
Pentaxian
D1N0's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: ---
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,357
QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
Please don't feed the monkey's or they're start throwing their feces....


Marc, Dino or Fred Flinstone whatever is your monicker, I don't think that your ONE photo on your gallery qualifies your in judging mine.
Just a pp challenge pic Dude. Get of your high horse and get real. I have no intention of judging your gallery. If that is what you meant, because your English is a bit odd for somebody claiming to be from the US of A.
10-03-2014, 04:50 AM   #87
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,267
Actually, I agree with you, Nicolas: sigma/tamron/tokina etc. offrent provide sound alternatives. That's the raison d'être of a third party.

But we're talking about Pentax/Ricoh regarding prices, not a third party. Prices should be compared with OEMs, not 3rd party.
10-03-2014, 05:07 AM   #88
Site Supporter
Stavri's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: at a Bean & Leaf
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,662
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
Can I offer a lighter perspective ....

Perhaps one can use the FA* 80-200mm legacy lens as a useful yardstick for pricing I bought one in near mint condition for US$1,300 - if the new lens is its equal or better then I suspect you would be paying about that much and perhaps a little more bearing in mind the Tamron and Sigma competition is considerably cheaper (by comparison). I would imagine that such a product would not be overpriced to the point where very few could afford - that would be silly.

Anyway, if our keen for this sort of glass and have FF compatibility in mind then go and get yourself a FA* 80-200mm - problem solved - it is awesome glass!!!!!

I agree Mark, i was trying to do the same but it seems people don't understand that Fa/DA* glass is expensive even used. Logic dictates that the newly designed fast FA lenses will be as well.

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Just a pp challenge pic Dude. Get of your high horse and get real. I have no intention of judging your gallery. If that is what you meant, because your English is a bit odd for somebody claiming to be from the US of A.

Let's just say you got your brand new shinny Pentax FF for very cheap. Do you need a wide gamut monitor to go with it? Of course you do. You need a 27" monitor to PP your amazing pristine high ISO shots for 24x36" prints, 97.3% Adobe RGB output, perfectly calibrated to make those colors true to life. Starting at a mere $1200 Nec has you covered. (throw in a beefy Desktop with a Nvidia quatro to encode they 4K videos you will be shooting with it for another $2500 and you're good to go) Now think whether you need all this fancy gear, because I'm of the opinion most people don't, just like they don't need FF or fast FA* glass.

If the new glass is too rich for your blood here's your alternative:
Price reduced! Pentax FA* 80-200mm 2.8 Like New, with Hood and Soft Case

Last edited by Stavri; 10-03-2014 at 05:28 AM.
10-03-2014, 05:29 AM   #89
Emperor and Senpai
VoiceOfReason's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Nashville, IN
Posts: 5,419
I already have some FF capable glass. My computer can encode and process 4k video, and I already have a 4k monitor (actually running dual monitors). So, what could I do with FF?
10-03-2014, 05:33 AM   #90
Site Supporter
Stavri's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: at a Bean & Leaf
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,662
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I already have some FF capable glass. My computer can encode and process 4k video, and I already have a 4k monitor (actually running dual monitors). So, what could I do with FF?
You tell me.....my guess is prints like these shot at night: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/274741-holy-scheisse-k-3-p...ml#post2962864

(wide gamut monitors are expensive, high resolution doesn't matter, unless you paid over $3000 for your twin set)
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
angle, camera, canon, consider, cost, d-fa, fan, ff, half, hardware, investment, k-mount, lenses, mf, originals, pentax, pentax lens, pentax news, pentax rumors, performer, price, quality, replacements, ricoh, sigma, slr lens, system
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Pentax leaf shutter 645 medium format lenses coming soon i83N Pentax News and Rumors 73 10-03-2014 08:03 AM
~$200 Portrait Lens - New Baby Coming Soon pdxfive Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 24 08-31-2013 06:21 PM
New Rumor or FF is coming? yasik Pentax DSLR Discussion 2 12-20-2012 05:00 AM
36 MP Sony FF coming soon too! Jasvox Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 11 10-19-2011 08:02 PM
How Rumours Are Born: New 21.1MP FF coming soon? Nubi Pentax News and Rumors 72 06-12-2010 07:38 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:08 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top