Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 39 Likes Search this Thread
09-29-2014, 01:54 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
People buy Nikon FF to get the 14-24.

Then they buy to get the fast, long zooms.

Everything in between is replicated elsewhere and is where APS-C competes.

09-29-2014, 02:05 PM   #47
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Why? The bokehs of truly apochromatic lenses, such as Voigtländer Apo-Macro-Lanthar 125mm f/2.5 SL, Zeiss Apo-Sonnar T* 135mm f/2 ZE/ZF.2 or Carl Zeiss Sonnar-Superachromat 250mm f/5.6 (for Hasselblad 500C) are among the most beautiful I have ever seen.
Can that be put on K-mount (or 645?). Can be bought real cheap.
09-29-2014, 02:24 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I imagine the first company to offer "replaceable" sensors will get my money (assuming the lenses are there). Just like in the "old days" you could use whatever film was appropriate for the situation. B&W FF 36Mp, Color crop 2x 18Mp, Color crop 1.5x 24Mp, Color FF 12Mp high ISO, etc. I believe Nikon has a bunch of such patents. Perhaps Sony and Ricoh do too and they can "trade" patents for each firm's marketshare?

YMMV

Michael
09-29-2014, 02:40 PM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Can that be put on K-mount (or 645?). Can be bought real cheap.
Yes, with the appropriate adapter Hasselblad V --> Pentax 645 or Hasselblad V --> Pentax K.

But it's not that cheap: between €2,500 and €3,500 on eBay. Not to be mixed up with the 'simple' Sonnar 250mm f/5.6 (€250-400).

Last edited by Mistral75; 09-29-2014 at 02:49 PM.
09-29-2014, 03:13 PM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
I imagine the first company to offer "replaceable" sensors will get my money (assuming the lenses are there). Just like in the "old days" you could use whatever film was appropriate for the situation. B&W FF 36Mp, Color crop 2x 18Mp, Color crop 1.5x 24Mp, Color FF 12Mp high ISO, etc. I believe Nikon has a bunch of such patents. Perhaps Sony and Ricoh do too and they can "trade" patents for each firm's marketshare?

YMMV

Michael
Ricoh GXR.

That was the concept.
09-29-2014, 05:03 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
I think if they go apochromatic, the bokeh would take a penalty
The best 4x5 and 8X10 lenses are apochromats, some of the Leica S and some Leica M lenses are as well. All apochromatic correction does is reduce aberrations and elevate resolution to such a degree that there is next to no optical penalty whatsoever for using a lens wide open. However the penalty for this level of colour corrections would be cost.
09-29-2014, 06:51 PM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

soon.... soon....

I have a feeling these lenses wont be far away. I guess if you are a fan of the originals you might want to buy them soon, who knows what the replacements will cost. $$$$

---------- Post added 09-29-14 at 06:52 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
I have a feeling these lenses wont be far away. I guess if you are a fan of the originals you might want to buy them soon, who knows what the replacements will cost. $$$$
Am I on the wrong thread?

09-29-2014, 07:35 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yorik Quote
I just noticed that the Digital Rev store has the FA 31 and FA 77 as discontinued.
Looks like the FA Limiteds are discontinued according to "asahi man" at DPR (who tends to be a reliable source with some inside knowledge).

"Sorry,No idea. I know only that the old limited line is out of production since minimum 2 years. Since yesterday No information about a new line." (link)
09-30-2014, 04:26 AM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gray Quote
Looks like the FA Limiteds are discontinued according to "asahi man" at DPR (who tends to be a reliable source with some inside knowledge).

"Sorry,No idea. I know only that the old limited line is out of production since minimum 2 years. Since yesterday No information about a new line." (link)
That is a good point, maybe our assumption is totally incorrect. Just because the current product line is running out does not mean that updated ones are on the way.
09-30-2014, 11:59 AM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote

YMMV

Michael
It look fun I must say. I was thinking of something like this: you can change the AF system, view finder, sensor, shutter, flash too.

This is difficult to sell in practice as basically a 36MP FF sensor does almost everything the other sensor would do: High iso difference is fairly small; Sony A7s perform barelly better than D810, 1/3Ev better only and part of it will make into all news sensors anyway. Crop in software either in camera or in post process is far more flexible than by changing the sensor.

Even for upgrade, this would show limit. Buffer size, processing power, bus size (if new sensor have more dynamic range)? If the new sensor provide phase AF and the old camera was not made to use it, it will not work... If the new sensor use different technology and need different hardware/software processing, it would not work neither.

In practice, you do not change sensor because 1 sensor give you all included: many different isos, all the colors rendering you could dream off, all the crop factor and framing ratio you could think of!
09-30-2014, 10:29 PM   #56
Pentaxian

Which is why gxr had the img processor embedded with the sensor in the module.
But otherwise I agree.
09-30-2014, 11:05 PM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
I think if they go apochromatic, the bokeh would take a penalty...
I think that, in order to have a good bokeh, it is the spherical aberration that must not be fully corrected. The penalty is a slight focus shift when lens is stopped down, for this reason I calibrate AF on my portrait lenses (FA*85...) , which are lenses typically Under corrected for sphérical aberration - stopped down a little bit, to the f-stop I use the most for portraiture.
That's also the reason they don't use asphérical elements for these kind of lenses
10-01-2014, 04:51 AM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by goubejp Quote
That's also the reason they don't use asphérical elements for these kind of lenses
Canon and Sigma use aspheric lens elements in their 85mm f/1.4 lenses, the exception to this is nikon.
10-01-2014, 05:13 AM   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Canon and Sigma use aspheric lens elements in their 85mm f/1.4 lenses, the exception to this is Nikon.
So do Zeiss with their Otus.

10-01-2014, 08:19 AM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
So do Zeiss with their Otus.
no surprises there.