Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2014, 05:44 AM   #91
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
Let's just say you got your brand new shinny Pentax FF for very cheap. Do you need a wide gamut monitor to go with it? Of course you do. You need a 27" monitor to PP your amazing pristine high ISO shots for 24x36" prints, 97.3% Adobe RGB output, perfectly calibrated to make those colors true to life. Starting at a mere $1200 Nec has you covered. (throw in a beefy Desktop with a Nvidia quatro to encode they 4K videos you will be shooting with it for another $2500 and you're good to go) Now think whether you need all this fancy gear, because I'm of the opinion most people don't, just like they don't need FF or fast FA* glass.
Who said anything about video. Video is a hassle. I have lot's of ff glas I want to use for it's intended format. I don't need to buy any ff lenses, I just need a body.

10-03-2014, 05:50 AM - 1 Like   #92
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, all said and done, even if Pentax produces a great 70-200 2.8, it's not going to be significantly better than the Tamron, neither the Nikon nor Canon offerings are, so why would you expect the Pentax to be... and most of the people on the site who are interested in that FL are going to buy the Tamron... but, for those with the big bucks, the Pentax 70-200 will be an option. And there are lots of users on the site who will buy one. I bought my DA* 60-250 for about $1500. If the Pentax 70-200 comes in around that price I'll give it a look. At $2400, not so much. We all have our price point. And as the price of the product goes higher and higher, the number of people willing to pay becomes less and less. If it comes with a fast focusing AF lens, and water sealing of course that changes everything. A K-3 is capable of handling a faster focusing lens than SDM can provide so if they can offer this lens as a good fast sports/wildlife lens they can go for the Big Bucks. But I'm not paying Canon/Nikon prices for Pentax SDM and tracking performance. That would be stupid. SO there are a lot of angles here. Charging Canon/Nikon prices to me means achieving Canon/Nikon performance. If they can't do that, I want it cheaper. I'm waiting, but I'm not holding my breath.

But the Tamron is the leader in 70-200 Pentax land now that Sigma has dropped out of the race.. and it's doubtful that's going to change, unless the lens comes in at DA* prices, and given the extra glass needed to cover an FF circle and ƒ2.8, that's not likely to happen.

Last edited by normhead; 10-03-2014 at 06:35 AM.
10-03-2014, 05:50 AM   #93
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Well, all said and done, even if Pentax produces a great 70-200 2.8, it's not going to be significantly better than the Tamron, neither the Nikon nor Canon offerings are, so why would you expect the Pentax to be... and most of the people on the site who are interested in that FL are going to buy the Tamron... but, for those with the big bucks, the Pentax 70-200 will be an option. And there are lots of users on the site who will buy one. I bought my DA* 60-250 for about $1500. If the Pentax 70-200 comes in around that price I'll give it a look. At $2400, not so much. We all have our price point. And as the price of the product goes higher and higher, the number of people willing to pay becomes less and less. If it comes with a fast focusing AF lens, and water sealing of course that changes everything. A K-3 is capable of handling a faster focusing lens than SDM can provide so i they can offer this lens as a good fast sports/wildlife lens they can go for the Big Bucks. But I'm not paying Canon/Nikon prices for Pentax SDM and tracking performance. That would be stupid. SO there are a lot of angles here. Charging Canon/Nikon prices to me means achieving Canon/Nikon performance. If they can't do that, I want it cheaper. I'm waiting, but I'm not holding my breath.

But the Tamron is the leader in 70-200 Pentax land now that Sigma has dropped out of the race.. and it's doubtful that's going to change, unless the lens comes in at DA* prices, and given the extra glass needed to cover an FF circle, that's not likely to happen.
I think the WR + better SDM/DC on the new FA* are a given, they'll have to incorporate those features to make such a lens attractive to buyers. Priced at $2400 is probably as high as we're going to see it (low 2000 is my estimation) As you know the len's AF performance relies more on the camera body. If pentax fixes the design flaws of the DA* lenses (SDM and such) and improves the AF algorithms they should perform decently (The Da 18-135 DC motor performs marvelously). Perhaps I'm a sucker for SMC glass, and although I like the Tamron's rendering (out of all the third party manufacturers) Pentax' is superior in my eyes (people might disagree or have reservations) Zeiss user love their T* glass, all they talk about is micro-contrast, poping images, 3d-ness, character etc (a Vario-Sonnar MF 100-300 f4 still sells for a grand on ebay) I equate SMC with T* technically and aesthetically, (it's one of the reasons I own a Pentax) and I'm willing to pay extra for it.

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Who said anything about video. Video is a hassle. I have lot's of ff glas I want to use for it's intended format. I don't need to buy any ff lenses, I just need a body.

{sarcastically}....I'm just trying to sell your a 27" NEC Myltisync Monitor....you want one?

Last edited by Stavri; 10-03-2014 at 06:12 AM.
10-03-2014, 06:04 AM   #94
Pentaxian

You misunderstood me....I'm trying to sell your a 27" NEC Monitor....you want one?
Then I must quote from the rules
QuoteQuote:
Advertising, spamming and trolling is not allowed in any part of our site;

10-03-2014, 06:18 AM   #95
Site Supporter

You tell me.....my guess is prints like these shot at night: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/274741-holy-scheisse-k-3-p...ml#post2962864

(wide gamut monitors are expensive, high resolution doesn't matter, unless you paid over $3000 for your twin set)
Why? I don't really do all that much low light. Landscape is my thing. An IPS monitor seems to work pretty well for me, and I've made a little money from my stuff. So what would 3k in monitors get me that I don't already have?
10-03-2014, 06:42 AM   #96
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Why? I don't really do all that much low light. Landscape is my thing. An IPS monitor seems to work pretty well for me, and I've made a little money from my stuff. So what would 3k in monitors get me that I don't already have?

Nec PA302W

• GB-R LED backlight consumes 44% less power than a comparable CCFL backlight
  • 99.3% coverage of AdobeRGB color space
  • Superior screen performance (1000:1 contrast ratio, 2560x1600 native resolution, 340cd/m2 brightness)
  • 14-bit 3D internal programmable lookup tables (LUTs) for calibration
  • Picture in Picture and Picture by Picturemodes increase productivity by displaying two sources simultaneously
  • MultiProfiler™ software provides complete control over the five picture modes, including the loading of any ICC profile directly into the monitor for optimal color space matching
  • DisplaySync ProTM controls two computers with only one keyboard and mouse
  • Wide connectivity includes both regular and Mini DisplayPort with 10-bit support, 10-bit HDMI, a DVI-D input as well as a USB hub
  • DisplayPort cable compatibility notice
  • NaViSet Administrator 2: Free software solution that greatly eases administration and management of larger display device installations
  • Available with SpectraViewII Color Calibration Kit (PA302W-SV)
  • Available in black (PA302W-BK)

$2,149.00 USD

99.3% Adobe RGB coverage..........I thought I was being clear here!
I'm not being serious of course but saying there's expensive equipment out there used by pros that would make you scratch your head for days. I agree with you, there's no need for pricey gear to take and PP high quality photos, just like there's no need for an Affordable FF Pentax DSLR. (it's a oxymoron in my book)

Last edited by Stavri; 10-03-2014 at 06:49 AM.
10-03-2014, 06:54 AM   #97
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Here come the HD Pentax-D FA 31mm f/1.8, 43mm f/1.9 and 77mm f/1,8 Limited.
I hope they wouldn't change the body design much. Still aperture ring. No ring. Not red and not green. Maybe they could make the lens align bump red. If it helps the lens cost significantly less, maybe give up aperture ring and paint red on it.... A new font wouldn't be bad. Pentax has been in need of updating their font.

10-03-2014, 07:00 AM   #98
Site Supporter

Nec PA302W

• GB-R LED backlight consumes 44% less power than a comparable CCFL backlight
  • 99.3% coverage of AdobeRGB color space
  • Superior screen performance (1000:1 contrast ratio, 2560x1600 native resolution, 340cd/m2 brightness)
  • 14-bit 3D internal programmable lookup tables (LUTs) for calibration
  • Picture in Picture and Picture by Picturemodes increase productivity by displaying two sources simultaneously
  • MultiProfiler™ software provides complete control over the five picture modes, including the loading of any ICC profile directly into the monitor for optimal color space matching
  • DisplaySync ProTM controls two computers with only one keyboard and mouse
  • Wide connectivity includes both regular and Mini DisplayPort with 10-bit support, 10-bit HDMI, a DVI-D input as well as a USB hub
  • DisplayPort cable compatibility notice
  • NaViSet Administrator 2: Free software solution that greatly eases administration and management of larger display device installations
  • Available with SpectraViewII Color Calibration Kit (PA302W-SV)
  • Available in black (PA302W-BK)

$2,149.00 USD

99.3% Adobe RGB coverage..........I thought I was being clear here!
I'm not being serious of course but saying there's expensive equipment out there used by pros that would make you scratch your head for days. I agree with you, there's no need for pricey gear to take and PP high quality photos, just like there's no need for an Affordable FF Pentax DSLR. (it's a oxymoron in my book)
To tell the truth the only reason I'd get FF is for more dynamic range. I wish the K3 would have went to ISO 50 with more dynamic range, because if it had I'd have one. I do think it is hilarious when people think expensive equipment will make their pics better. My uncle has a Canon 5D mk III with loads of Canon L glass, and it pisses him off every time he sees what I do with my K5 and my lenses. I tried to tell him it is both having an eye for it and knowing how to use it, but...
10-03-2014, 02:46 PM   #99
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Well, the Apple Cinema display has 96% Adobe gamut coverage and 1000:1 contrast ratio, and the same 27" 2560 x 1440 Quad-HD monitor is available from Korea under the Catleap, Shimian, and Crosssover labels for under $300 if you know where to look.

Not quite the NEC, but very close. I use a Crossover-branded one on my photo processing rig, and I couldn't be happier. Only took 2 days to ship from Korea, too!
I have the Fujitsu P27T-6 that claims 102 % gamut:

http://globalsp.ts.fujitsu.com/dmsp/Publications/public/ds-display-p27t-6-ips.pdf

More then I can see.
10-04-2014, 12:47 AM   #100
Pentaxian

Asus PA serie is quite affordable too (compared to NEC/Eizo etc.)
10-04-2014, 09:07 AM   #101
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
That's a profit killer for any camera brand.
10-04-2014, 11:21 AM   #102
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
That's a profit killer for any camera brand.
+1, the signal you send to them is to change the mount for FF!
10-04-2014, 11:34 AM   #103
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If Ricoh waits long enough that old glass just won't work anyway. (heavy, big, CA, PF, sensor ghosting, distortion, decentering, decolimation, crappy old styling, poor exposure control).

They don't care about legacy lenses. The mountain of FF glass just waiting for a FF body is a myth. Hasn't kept anyone from buying DA lenses.
10-04-2014, 11:39 AM   #104
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
If Ricoh waits long enough that old glass just won't work anyway. (heavy, big, CA, PF, sensor ghosting, distortion, decentering, decolimation, crappy old styling, poor exposure control).

They don't care about legacy lenses. The mountain of FF glass just waiting for a FF body is a myth. Hasn't kept anyone from buying DA lenses.

That's because the FF has been PAINFULLY slow to materialize. Things will be different this time around.....(knock on wood)
10-04-2014, 11:56 AM   #105
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

if they go with FF Mirrorless, they can do what Sony has: offer a new mount with an adapter for legacy lenses. Problem solved.

M