Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2014, 10:33 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
The lens on a camera has never been designed to record a scene "as accurately as possible" unless it's stopped down to some unbelievably small aperture. In the real world, there's no such thing as depth of field but in photography you can't escape it. How the lens handles DOF and other parameters is something the designer has some control over.
Nope, the reason why we like pictures with creamy bokeh is because we perceive the world in that manner. Our eyes work the same way. When we look at something nearby, the background is blurred.

09-27-2014, 10:50 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Nope, the reason why we like pictures with creamy bokeh is because we perceive the world in that manner. Our eyes work the same way. When we look at something nearby, the background is blurred.
I've yet to see anyone claim they know how to dial in a desired depth of field with their eyes or how to change bokeh. Those are functions of photographic equipment and how we use it.
09-27-2014, 02:21 PM   #48
Pentaxian

That's not even close to right, and it's easy to prove. Look at a distant busy scene, e.g. some trees. Close one eye and defocus the open one. The image you see won't be "creamy" at all but rather more like the "crazy" bokeh people tend to hate. Likewise, the DOF of your eye is quite a bit wider than that of premium bokeh lenses.

09-27-2014, 03:07 PM   #49
Veteran Member

What I've enjoyed about photography is the ability to present the world in a way that is different from how I see it with my eyes. It's really what attracted me to photography to begin (as opposed to, for example, wanting primarily preserve moments). For example, When I was in the arboretum, this is not how my eyes saw this leaf:

It is how I saw it in my imagination, with some additional magic added by Fuji Velvia. I've always considered shallow depth of field and telephoto perspectives to be very artificial photographic constructs, and that is what I love about them.

And yes, I recognize that one can produce shallow depth of field by closing one eye and focusing on something close, by that is definitely not my primary visual experience of the world.

09-30-2014, 12:43 PM - 1 Like   #50
Pentaxian

Does a painter depend on it's brushes to breathe that life into his paintings? Does a writer depend on his notepad or keyboard for a good storyline? No, they're tools, and need to do their job. The artsy part comes from the human user. The exact same thing goes for cameras. They are tools with only one job to do correctly: record the scene in front of them as accurately as possible. Sharpness is a factor that belongs to that accuracy. Any artsy effects are up to the photographer. The placement of the strobes, the usage of light, camera settings and the effects applied during post process. Any sharpness lost because of bad or artsy lens design is lost forever. If artsy softness is needed, it only requires a few seconds in a free PP-program, not a ~$900,- lens. Claiming they weren't after maximum IQ is like saying you weren't joining to win anyway.
The tool totally define what the user (be it a scientific, basic user or artist) can do with it. Before photography, we had painting, and making realistic painting was important. Now it is so easy to make realistic pictures with photography that artists want to go different and many don't try to paint realistically or even 'well' at all.

Still you don't approach painting, photography or cinema in the same way. And if 3D and feel is so important to you, you might prefer to create scultures instead to stay in a 2 dimensionnal medium. That would allow to touch your art.

What if in the future you could record no just an image of a scene but the full scene in 3D, replay it in hollogram or replay it fully in your brain? If you could make the elements inside your creation react to the observer? That would open totally different creative possibilities. A camera is just innadequate to do that, or not without lot of work and additionnal tooling !

This is on the "limit" and of the medium, and still is on your way of thinking: you want the best tool that is to be universal and the artist play with it to control fully.

But many tools are not like that. Reality is too complex. You have many dedicated specialized tools like you can paint directly with your hands or with a knife. You can paint in photoshop and print.

In photography, a lensbaby is as valid as tool for creativity than a tripod or wide apperture and sharp lens. But maybe modern photography has not so many tools. Everybody is after the perfect photo, the widest apperture, most sharp whatever. At the end of the day, all the photos look the same and there not much creativity comming from the gear or even how to use it. It come more from what you decide to put into your photos.

In this sense, photography is very restrictive as a creative tool. Painting or photoshop (the modern equivalent) offer much more creativity, but you don't really need a camera anymore or a lense, perfect or not.

We all say that the creativity is from the framing, capturing the right subject at the right moment. But still, this is mainly a "passive" experience. At least in cinema or a studio for photography, you create your composition, your lighting, your subject. This is were creativity come into play. And so for this shoot, the right lighting, the right clothing, make up of accessories will bring more creativity and interrested than an even more accurate lens.
10-06-2014, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #51
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Even so there are some nice ideas in this interview, so far as it's possible to tell from the mangled translation. There is a stress on three platforms linked by a common theme, on personalization, on making Ricoh/Pentax the brand which takes the images you would like to leave to posterity - in other words, on image quality and satisfaction from photography over the instant selfie thang. He uses the example of the 645z to make the point that sharpness is not the end-all. Rather, rendering is: you need a camera which can capture the quality of light passing through the air, something akin to capturing the wind is the comparison he makes. A nice image and a very telling point against the current mania for sharpness above all else. If the result is lifeless, you've failed and equipment which doesn't major on image quality and rendering has only helped you to fail. I think that's what he is getting at. Very Japanese but I like that and in any case very different from the standard-issue blatherings the rest come out with. Of course one can say that this is all smooth talk from a master salesman, and I imagine he'd be ruthless in chopping the whole shebang if it got into serious trouble, but even so it is a distinct and different take. And that the CEO is prepared to give an interview devoted to a subject commanding only a tiny proportion of the group's business suggests they take it all pretty seriously.
Of course one in one hundred westerners understand and give a hoot about the image quality distinction. They just want to own whichever won the DxO test.
10-06-2014, 03:27 PM   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Of course one in one hundred westerners understand and give a hoot about the image quality distinction. They just want to own whichever won the DxO test.
Lol. I've long though that Pentax could do worse than put themselves forward as the brand that offers the very best that Japan can offer by way of traditional values, design and a distinct way of looking at the world. All the other brands are piling onto the multinational bus where all the seats are the same size and the views out the window never change. If you want to appreciate cherry blossom as only the Japanese can appreciate it then you need a Pentax camera for your photographs of it, etc., etc.
10-06-2014, 04:36 PM   #53

Photos: Albums
2015 pentax /ricoh full frame

ciao a tutti spero che il 2015 pentax /Ricoh farà come dice , una full frame anche perché qui in ITALIA nel club asashi che esiste da 30 anni lo desideriamo. intanto un saluto dall' ITALIA.

10-06-2014, 11:46 PM   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by larcodema Quote
ciao a tutti spero che il 2015 pentax /Ricoh farà come dice , una full frame anche perché qui in ITALIA nel club asashi che esiste da 30 anni lo desideriamo. intanto un saluto dall' ITALIA.
I don't speak Italian but had what you said translated with google translate. Welcome and yes we here all hope that Ricoh will do what they promised.