Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2014, 03:01 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Interview with head of Ricoh Imaging

Japanese website DC Watch has posted an interview from Photokina with Noboru Akahane, boss of Ricoh Imaging.

http://m.dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/interview/20140925_668471.html

Google translate
Interview: Do not create products that do not have a [Photokina] personality - Ricoh Imaging - Digital Camera Watch

I haven't had a chance to read it all yet. Just sharing.

09-25-2014, 03:14 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can't make head nor tail of that translated interview.
09-25-2014, 03:15 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks for posting, JPT ... I think. Google Translate has as usual struggled with not just the words but the meanings behind them. (Sigh).
09-25-2014, 04:11 AM   #4
Pentaxian

The Chairman of Ricoh Imaging Corp. is a former investment banker.

Ricoh Imaging is dooooomed!™

09-25-2014, 04:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Hmm... There's a PF member here that helped to translate the previous interview right?

What's his name again? Perhaps he could help to translate better..
09-25-2014, 04:33 AM - 3 Likes   #6
Veteran Member

The term is getting kinda old. But if google translate would have simply stated "Pentax is doomed" as a result of translating that interview, it would have been hilarious.
09-25-2014, 04:57 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
The Chairman of Ricoh Imaging Corp. is a former investment banker.

Ricoh Imaging is dooooomed!™

Hmm... if we took the web link address, inverted it, then pass it theu google translate....

It says.

"PENTAX IS DOOMED!"

09-25-2014, 05:09 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks for posting the interview! I'm sure there are some interesting nuggets in there but the grammar from the Google translation is pretty rough.

From I can gather, the overall theme that Ricoh is following is to do everything differently than Canon or Nikon. If they aren't doing something then that is something Ricoh ought to do. The Q comes to mind. As everyone tries to make a mirrorless camera with larger sensors Ricoh will make one with a small one. Since everyone makes black cameras we'll make them in every other color. Etc, etc, etc. They definitely don't want to be a "me too" company. The danger is turning into a "so what?" company. I think they have a pretty good "why" or belief system they want customers to buy into. They believe cameras should be small and inviting to use so that you want to carry them around everywhere you go. Pressing the sitter button should be a special experience every time.
09-25-2014, 06:06 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Hmm... if we took the web link address, inverted it, then pass it theu google translate....

It says.

"PENTAX IS DOOMED!"
lmth.174866_52904102\weivretni\swen\scod\pj.oc.sserpmi.hctaw.cd

It recommends Haiti Kreolean to translate from.
09-25-2014, 06:06 AM   #10
Banned

Would be great to read a propper translation.
09-25-2014, 06:12 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Yeah , until that, no sense.
09-25-2014, 06:16 AM   #12
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
In the first part, he compares the company culture of Ricoh Imaging with western companies he has worked with before. Western companies start with a business model and then work with partners to bring products to market. He was surpassed at the culture of Ricoh Imaging when he joined, because they have a very serious product focus and tend to think about the business model later. He sees his job as being to change this culture.

It's seriously difficult biz-talk, by the way, and I'm not sure I can understand more than the gist.
09-25-2014, 06:24 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You guys didn't miss much. Just typical hords of BS that we have heard in the past.
09-25-2014, 06:34 AM   #14
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
You guys didn't miss much. Just typical hords of BS that we have heard in the past.
I agree that he doesn't really say anything concrete about the products, but it does give some insight into the guy who is running Ricoh Imaging.
09-25-2014, 06:34 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Thanks for posting the interview! I'm sure there are some interesting nuggets in there but the grammar from the Google translation is pretty rough.

From I can gather, the overall theme that Ricoh is following is to do everything differently than Canon or Nikon. If they aren't doing something then that is something Ricoh ought to do. The Q comes to mind. As everyone tries to make a mirrorless camera with larger sensors Ricoh will make one with a small one. Since everyone makes black cameras we'll make them in every other color. Etc, etc, etc. They definitely don't want to be a "me too" company.
Well in that case, they sure are practicing what they're preaching... ...So a tiny FF MILC but with tiny lenses to go with it would be a suitable niche for them too? The other manufacturers all tend to go with the bazooka-on-a-deck-of-cards approach.