Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2014, 10:59 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Seems like a smart move to get involved in the only parts of the camera industry that appear to be growing - smartphones and action cams. FF is next!
I agree. Besides, it is a way to get the GR brand known by those buying a phone.
There's no downside I'd say.

09-30-2014, 11:09 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
This announcement could be seen as Ricoh aiming at becoming the Japanese Leica, Schneider Kreuznach or Carl Zeiss.

Gentlemen, open your wallets!
If Sharp made their products to the quality level of the above, it might mean something special. I fail to see a point reflecting such high quality and high priced equipment manufacturers to sharp or Ricoh.

On the other had, I wish Ricoh success in coming up with some great stuff. Built in wifi might be an add on too from sharp. We'll see.
09-30-2014, 04:37 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This sounds like one of those deals a couple of company men drunk on sake made while hitting golf balls into Tokyo Bay one night as way of telling the boss "look what I did".
09-30-2014, 06:31 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Ok guy befoe going further . Sharp is #3 brand in the Smart Phone in Japan behind Apple and Sony . They seem to go the route in choosing their partner. For sound , they work with Harmon Kardon. Working with Pentax make sense for the Photo system as Pentax is selling well in Japan and trendy
Here part of the press release for the Aquos phone
QuoteQuote:
Sharp phones have been relatively popular in Japan, behind Apple and Sony, but they've never been available in a meaningful way outside of the country. With Sharp's close ties to SoftBank, which has more than a vested interest in the US market, that's likely going to change, and Sprint could have some very interesting exclusive smartphones in its lineup in the near future.

09-30-2014, 06:44 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
This announcement could be seen as Ricoh aiming at becoming the Japanese Leica, Schneider Kreuznach or Carl Zeiss.
Pentax has already played at being the Japanese Schneider-Kreuznach:

09-30-2014, 10:18 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Pentax has already played at being the Japanese Schneider-Kreuznach:
Actually, that's the other way around.
10-04-2014, 04:37 AM   #22

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Actually, that's the other way around.
Unless you're saying that Schneider have played at being the German Pentax, I don't understand wheat you mean. Actually, even if you're saying that Schneider have played at being the German Pentax, I don't understand what you mean. Would you care to explain?

10-04-2014, 05:18 AM   #23
Pentaxian

If we want to be accurate, it was Samsung who wanted to sell Pentax lenses under the Schneider badge.
10-04-2014, 05:19 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
If we want to be accurate, it was Samsung who wanted to sell Pentax lenses under the Schneider badge.
Exactly. This is a Samung/Schneider move. Not a Pentax one.
10-04-2014, 06:18 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Actually, to me this whole story is slightly less embarrassing (but only slightly) than what Pentax USA conceived in the past: "The Official Digital Camera Of The Internet".
10-04-2014, 08:07 AM   #26
Pentaxian

The GR Certified? Why would it be embarrassing? It's no different than Leica, Zeiss, Sony G smartphone lenses.
10-04-2014, 08:11 AM   #27
Pentaxian

But it says "GR Certified". I cannot remember that there are cameras or lenses with "Leica Certified" or "Zeiss Certified" on them for that matter. Am I wrong?
10-04-2014, 08:14 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Because they're not making the lenses themselves. It's more honest than borrowing their name to 3rd-party manufacturers, don't you think?

But I'm a software engineer, and I live in a world full of certifications
10-04-2014, 10:40 AM   #29
Forum Member

I wonder how many more Isuzus were sold because of the "Handling by Lotus" badge on them. Probably not many. I'll bet it was a good deal for Lotus, though.
10-04-2014, 06:23 PM   #30
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
GR certified? Thank God it's not WG-S1 certified.

That is excellent though, phuh, I was afraid it may be the WG. Thank God, despite being totally pointless news altogether — I presume camera news websites hunt any kind of tidbit to write about, and this one was odd enough to mention it.

Last edited by Uluru; 10-04-2014 at 06:31 PM.