Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2008, 04:34 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
from popphoto's Nikon D60 review

QuoteOriginally posted by popphoto:
COMPETITIVE SET

PENTAX K200D with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 SMCP-DA kit lens ($800, street) Priced closer to the Nikon, the K200D may be a much tougher competitor -- literally. It has a more rugged body, with a stainless-steel chassis and dust- and weatherproof seals. Plus it offers a sensor-based shake reduction system that works with all Pentax lenses, and a more sophisticated 11-point AF system (again, with a wider range of AF-compatible lenses than the Nikon). Downside: It uses regular AA batteries, while the Nikon comes with a rechargeable Li-ion. We haven't tested the K200D yet, but it has a similar-megapixel CCD sensor and a wide variety of image controls. Its claimed burst rate, 2.8 fps, is slightly slower, and ISO goes up only to 1600. Previous models lead us to expect low noise and great color.
Camera Test: Nikon D60 - - PopPhotoMay 2008

05-15-2008, 04:03 PM   #2

Nikon D40/60 range has always been a waste of time in my opinion, everyone else offers a much better featured entry level model, as Pophoto noted.

Though I must say I'm getting tired of the "AA batteries are a downside" load of crap. It's not like you can't use a huge variety of batteries in the K100/200D, even li-ion if you want.

I don't see them complaining that external flash units mostly all use AA batteries.
05-15-2008, 04:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Maxington Quote
Nikon D40/60 range has always been a waste of time in my opinion, everyone else offers a much better featured entry level model, as Pophoto noted.

Though I must say I'm getting tired of the "AA batteries are a downside" load of crap. It's not like you can't use a huge variety of batteries in the K100/200D, even li-ion if you want.

I don't see them complaining that external flash units mostly all use AA batteries.
I agree 100% with you. AA batteries is not an issue. You ALWAYS need them anyway for the flash, so...
05-15-2008, 04:32 PM   #4
Inactive Account

If you have seen the television adds for the D60 check the very end of the commercial where they say Also check out the D300. Now if that doesn't cause you to think that just maybe the D300 is a better camera and telling you to check it out after you checked out the D60 Of course you'll see the difference and buy the D300 knowing the D60 is a waste.
Well it all boils down to what you want and what your price range is and if a name plate is worth that much.

And I'll keep buying AA batteries and be very happy with the cameras I have.

05-15-2008, 06:34 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
If anyone thinks it is tough getting good lenses for low prices for the Pentax DSLR cameras, wait till they try the same with the D40/D40X/D60. I never knew that focusing manually with the tiny focus rings of AF lenses can make a camera so popular.
05-15-2008, 06:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, since I really enjoy prime lenses, I'm with you there. But, the sales figures don't agree with us — check this out, also from PopPhoto:

Top-Selling Digital SLRs for March - - PopPhotoApril 2008
05-15-2008, 07:43 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Yeah, since I really enjoy prime lenses, I'm with you there. But, the sales figures don't agree with us — check this out, also from PopPhoto:

Top-Selling Digital SLRs for March - - PopPhotoApril 2008
Well I think its because people are buying the bottom end Nikon, not buying the D40/60 themselves, if you get what I mean. Bottom end Canon and Nikon dominating the sales.

Nikon name means it must be good, after all.

05-16-2008, 08:55 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Well I think its because people are buying the bottom end Nikon, not buying the D40/60 themselves, if you get what I mean. Bottom end Canon and Nikon dominating the sales.

I agree to an extent. Most would pick Nikon or Canon without any real research. What I dont get is how they could pick the D60 over the Xti/Xsi
05-16-2008, 10:16 AM   #9

Why big bucks?

I saw a ton of Nikon adds with Aston Kutcher the other night for the D60. Seems they might be worried about a growing competitor - and therefore think they need to hire a highly paid, highly obnoxious celebrity to help them push their product. I suppose that for people who will never buy more than two lenses, it's an okay starter model. Personally, I've wouldn't recommend one to a friend.

05-16-2008, 10:37 AM   #10

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Downside: It uses regular AA batteries.

I disagree that it's a downside and I can't understand why reviewers see it as so. My friend just bought a D60 and she can't even go to the Botanical Gardens and take photos for the day without the rechargeable Li-ion crapping out and dying on her. I don't care if rechargeables are more "eco-friendly," I can put regular Li-ion batteries in my DS and they last for a year. What's worse, having to plug in and use "electricity" to charge up the reuseable battery everytime you use your camera or to throw out one pair of batteries a year? If someone knows of a valid reason please enlighten me.

Any camera I recommend to friends and family will use Li-ion batteries, not rechargeables or be able to accept Alkalines too. They are just more convienent for hobbyists or snapshoot shooters. You turn your camera on and it works unless you've let it sit around for a year.

I've played a bit with her D60 and it's nice but I'm used to the Pentax UI and I like it and the egonomics of the buttons and layout.
05-16-2008, 11:43 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I just went to Best Buy last night to take a look at the Canon 40D since Canon is about to start a $200 rebate on it. While I was there I talked to the sales guy. He had never even heard of Pentax! Lets just say I don't see Pentax ever becoming mainstream without getting their products inside of the big box stores. How exactly is the average joe supposed to find out about them? Most people aren't obsessed and don't enjoy reading camera reviews (something I enjoy).

That said, even if they do get on the shelf next to Canon/Sony/Nikon I'm not sure they'd last there for long. The average person takes a look at the camera, holds it, then looks through the menu system. The second a beginner compares the menu system on the K200D to the beautifully slick GUI on the Nikon D60 or even the Sony A200/300/350 they will drop the Pentax and not give it a second thought. Yes the Pentax menu is functional and I find it easy to use, but it is about as pretty as a the toilet after a night of diarrhea. And most newbs to SLR's I know care more about that then weather sealing and built in shake reduction (things I care about).
05-16-2008, 12:21 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
The second a beginner compares the menu system on the K200D to the beautifully slick GUI on the Nikon D60 or even the Sony A200/300/350 they will drop the Pentax and not give it a second thought. Yes the Pentax menu is functional and I find it easy to use, but it is about as pretty as a the toilet after a night of diarrhea. And most newbs to SLR's I know care more about that then weather sealing and built in shake reduction (things I care about).
Then what we need to get into the box stores is *Samsung* cameras.