Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
10-09-2014, 02:03 AM   #16
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Useless cameras. All specs are very weak, except water, dust and shock resistance.
WG-3 GPS had 2.0-4.9 lens and bigger LCD...
Right?
This was Always the budget series, so 1/3th cheaper.

10-09-2014, 06:04 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Well if we are going to whine, I would FAR rather have the GPS than the WiFi. GPS is useful, WiFi not so much. (At least I have not been able to find a use for it, though I am open to suggestions)
Wireless transfer, wireless control, automatic update to social sites, link to your smartphone's GPS... hey, that way you don't need GPS in-camera anymore!
10-09-2014, 06:27 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Wireless transfer, wireless control, automatic update to social sites, link to your smartphone's GPS... hey, that way you don't need GPS in-camera anymore!
I wonder if they tested to see if wireless control works underwater.

---------- Post added 10-09-14 at 10:02 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Looks like good updates. Anything impressing in them compared to the last version?
No longer burdened by the weight of sensor-shift SR (digital only now).
10-09-2014, 08:15 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wireless transfer = too slow
Wireless control = why?
Auto update to social sites = I think I have Facebook page my wife set up for me. Might have posted there a few years ago. Once.
Link to smartphone = why?

I realize there are uses for all of those things but we are talking but me. And I have no use for any of those things. But I do use the GPS unit whenever I'm in the field.

I did get a FLU Card to test and so far have found that it works, but I have not found any real reason to go to the trouble of using it. Still looking. YMMV

10-09-2014, 08:38 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

WG-30 is not on my radar. I note the WiFi only in the context of this camera possibly serving as a test bed for the technology, which might surface in the -Sx series some day. GPS might show up unexpectedly in something else - then start appearing in mid-range and up dSLR's. My bet is tethering (remote control) will be cabled for flagships and eventually Wi-Fi with browser for mid-range. I imagine we'll eventually see the O-FC1 was a quick and dirty (and inexpensive) bridge while Ricoh developed its own tech in-house.

We should always remember that not only must Ricoh catch up with it's product competitors, it must catch up with a target that is still moving forward. Sometimes the best way to do that is just work on whatever the entire market will deliver in three years, deliver it in two years, and accept you are behind for a while
10-09-2014, 09:53 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Wireless transfer = too slow
Wireless control = why?
Auto update to social sites = I think I have Facebook page my wife set up for me. Might have posted there a few years ago. Once.
Link to smartphone = why?

I realize there are uses for all of those things but we are talking but me. And I have no use for any of those things. But I do use the GPS unit whenever I'm in the field.

I did get a FLU Card to test and so far have found that it works, but I have not found any real reason to go to the trouble of using it. Still looking. YMMV
I did not realize we were talking about you I thought this was about a new camera...

In a networked world, for those who participate in it, wifi is a very useful tool. YOU might not see the needs for some specific features, but in that case just look elsewhere and don't purchase that camera.

To answer your questions:

The link to a smartphone means that you can use your smartphone's GPS with the camera, by the way.

You cannot today evaluate if the wireless transfer speed is fast enough on that camera.

Wireless controls can be useful if you set your camera in a remote location.
10-09-2014, 10:09 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I did not realize we were talking about you I thought this was about a new camera...

In a networked world, for those who participate in it, wifi is a very useful tool. YOU might not see the needs for some specific features, but in that case just look elsewhere and don't purchase that camera.

To answer your questions:

The link to a smartphone means that you can use your smartphone's GPS with the camera, by the way.

You cannot today evaluate if the wireless transfer speed is fast enough on that camera.

Wireless controls can be useful if you set your camera in a remote location.
Do we know the camera can read the GPS coordinates from a phone and record that in the EXIF?

10-09-2014, 10:49 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Do we know the camera can read the GPS coordinates from a phone and record that in the EXIF?
Well it seems clear to me that it can but maybe reading too much into their description.
10-09-2014, 04:21 PM   #24
Banned

This entire range has become incomprehensible to me. They are the most updated / substituted / rebadged cameras in Ricoh Imaging's range. Or at least, they do appear to be updated every 6 months or so, changed labels, etc. But basically, they remain same, and changes are merely cosmetic and unsubstantial.
That is why they do it — too easy.

Last edited by Uluru; 10-09-2014 at 04:41 PM.
10-09-2014, 05:46 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Who cares, most peoples who buy these camera are not pro or semi pro or .... You mention to them they can use it under water, photos can be post to Facebook, that what they are interested. The rest , they dont care(sensor size,etc).
10-09-2014, 07:37 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Well it seems clear to me that it can but maybe reading too much into their description.
Can you kindly point me to where it's clear that the camera reads the GPS location from an external device via Wi-fi and writes it into the EXIF? Thanks
10-09-2014, 09:03 PM - 1 Like   #27

don't forget

Lets not overlook the importance of these types of products. A couple of years ago I bought a WG2. I wanted something small but rugged to take with me on a Big Horn sheep hunt. Over the last couple of years I have found I have taken far more pictures with this camera than my K-10. (which I plan on upgrading from). I realize the limitations of the WG series in comparison to even my K-10, however the convenience of having it with me, and not worrying about the elements makes up of some of them.

Additionally now that I work in heavy construction I frequently need to be able to take pictures on the jobsite. I have found the rugged nature of these cameras to be a great benefit. ( 100 feet in the air in a manlift with 20 MPH winds the tether is comforting). For me as well the digital microscope feature has been very handy. (capturing numbers on flanges at awkward positions and poor lighting).

In fact I have probably recommended a WG series camera to more people than a K series body. living in Colorado, and working construction, a robust, reliable camera can be more of a useful tool than a superior but bulkier body.

Ask yourself this, "will more people who think they want to get into photography buy Pentax because of the K mount systems, or because they have seen and used their less expensive point and shoots and been impressed with them" ?

While I have a few wishes that I hope Pentax fulfills, I will not complain when they roll out new products, but will wait until I find the one I want. Until then my K-10 still proves to be sufficient for my needs.
10-09-2014, 10:04 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shuie Quote
however the convenience of having it with me, and not worrying about the elements makes up of some of them.
A very good point. The camera you have with you is the best one for the job
10-10-2014, 07:53 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
A very good point. The camera you have with you is the best one for the job
Using that kind of logic you would think that camera manufactures would make more than one type of camera. Oh wait, they do!

I love my WGIII. It allows me to do things that my other cameras do not. Same thing could be said of our Holgas, LF and MF cameras, home made pinhole cameras and of course our Pentax DSLRs.

The higher end WG had two models one that has a GPS option and it is more expensive than the non GPS model. So if you want GPS buy the Pentax/Ricoh model that has it. Not all models need to have all features otherwise how would you price them differently and why should people pay more for features they do not want, need or perhaps afford?
10-10-2014, 09:09 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
Can you kindly point me to where it's clear that the camera reads the GPS location from an external device via Wi-fi and writes it into the EXIF? Thanks
Well, the couple specs highlights + Bdery comments, it seemed clear to me.
However, reading the specs, it is not.
Moreover the WG-30 is a simplified version of WG4 (at least that's what WGxx previously led to beleive) si they might not want to let you do this for not canibalizing the sales of WG4 gps.

We'll know more with the manual.