Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 44 Likes Search this Thread
10-20-2014, 11:32 AM - 1 Like   #76
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Undot Quote
as soon as it's gotten presented to public.
This is what trade shows are there for, plus you invite and meet local retailers.

10-20-2014, 06:32 PM   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I'm not even sure RIAC has 3 645z's in North America available for sale
I don't doubt your statement, but the last time I was in the Don's Photo store in Saskatoon, Canada (a city of 250,000 with only two brick and mortar camera stores remaining) they had a 645Z at the front of their little Pentax display with an introductory special card beside it. And it can't be because the professional photographer market is booming; a year ago my siblings and I paid for a studio shoot involving 10 family members as a 75th birthday present for our mother, and in the Edmonton area (population over 1 million) I could only come up with 3 professionals who had a studio large enough to accommodate us. There is more to this stark contrast between the big and little markets in North America than just Ricoh's marketing budget.
10-20-2014, 07:25 PM   #78
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
I don't doubt your statement, but the last time I was in the Don's Photo store in Saskatoon, Canada (a city of 250,000 with only two brick and mortar camera stores remaining) they had a 645Z at the front of their little Pentax display with an introductory special card beside it. And it can't be because the professional photographer market is booming; a year ago my siblings and I paid for a studio shoot involving 10 family members as a 75th birthday present for our mother, and in the Edmonton area (population over 1 million) I could only come up with 3 professionals who had a studio large enough to accommodate us. There is more to this stark contrast between the big and little markets in North America than just Ricoh's marketing budget.
Ricoh Imaging Canada and Ricoh Imaging USA are not the same thing. Syracuse, NY is a city of 150,000 (a metro area of 600,000 to 730,000 depending on what demographer you ask) and has 2 brick & mortar camera stores. The closest you will find a Pentax camera is 250 miles away. The damage was done years before Leica Ned ran Pentax USA, but he damn near finished things off.
10-20-2014, 09:40 PM   #79

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Does Ricoh have a viable professional services infrastructure in North America? Do they even need professional services at this time?
They have it in Japan, where Pentax users are concentrated. See below.

PENTAX SERVICE PROFESSIONAL | RICOH IMAGING (in Japanese)

They have three main services for the pros:

1. repair discount
2. lease for repair gears
3. lease for short-time use

They don't say anything about where this service holds, but it looks like the professional service is applicable only in Japan because you can enjoy those services only if you show up in Pentax's customer division according to the website.

10-20-2014, 11:59 PM   #80

Pentax Professional Service is available in the US:

Do you offer professional services? - RIAC Community
10-21-2014, 12:02 AM   #81

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Pentax Professional Service is available in the US:

Do you offer professional services? - RIAC Community
Glad to hear that.
10-21-2014, 08:55 PM   #82
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jatcat Quote
Called Ricoh to confirm and they said they were not exhibiting at the Photoplus Expo in NYC (again) this year....
I live in NYC and even I don't go to this show anymore. For the most part the last couple of times I went (last time 3 years ago) the show seems to be dedicated to professional wedding 'togs, and not very well attended at that.

NaCl(can't really see that Ricoh wanting to show there)H2O

10-21-2014, 09:08 PM   #83

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
I live in NYC and even I don't go to this show anymore. For the most part the last couple of times I went (last time 3 years ago) the show seems to be dedicated to professional wedding 'togs, and not very well attended at that.

NaCl(can't really see that Ricoh wanting to show there)H2O
Hmm...I've gone for the past three years (on Fridays) and the show has been jammed.
Ricoh had a great booth two years ago, and it was fun to talk shop with their reps and play with the goodies...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
ADR6400L  Photo 
10-22-2014, 05:08 AM   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Canon got to where it is today by developing great strategy. They learned tha pros are not as much equipment loay as they are support loyal. They developed a program where pros using Canon cameras got world class support. Camera fails on a remote shoot? We'll have a loaner to you tomorrow. You keep it until we repair your's or you get a new one. This was a program you qualified for and Canon lived up to it's word on their support levels. They went after the names in the industry with this program and it was wildly successful. Suddenly Canon cameras sarted showing up all over the place. Their sales trickled down through camera lines developed for the rest of us. Nikon scrambled to catch up, Miranda went away, and poor Pentax started getting sold and resold. It never stood a chance.
I think that's pretty smart that Canon did that on their side.

On the opposite, I don't think that it served at all the pro to have this support. I'd expect of any pro to have replacement parts directly available, and of any bigger agency to have a supply of parts in case of problem. Once you have that, the pro service doesn't bring much more.

---------- Post added 10-22-14 at 02:21 PM ----------

You want to get the bloggers, journalists and so own, but the big one you already got it covered with the best events like Photokina. The other might be more interrested if you send them directly the gear to test (and let them keep part of it) or organise a meeting in your offices just for them. It may cost you a few hundred $ but being present at an even is more in the hundred thousand $ anyway.

To be at event can be interresting, but this is a strategy not the unique strategy. It might also work better if you target a good share of the audience. Canon for example might get much more return out of it as their market share is bigger and many more person will take the time to see them than Pentax.
10-22-2014, 07:32 AM - 4 Likes   #85
Pentaxian

Many older photographers in the USA think Pentax no longer exists, and many younger photographers have never heard of Pentax. Without advertising, trade shows, etc. the brand will not thrive in the USA.
10-22-2014, 10:32 AM   #86
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Many older photographers in the USA think Pentax no longer exists, and many younger photographers have never heard of Pentax. Without advertising, trade shows, etc. the brand will not thrive in the USA.
Will not thrive anywhere. Advertising is an essential investment, like R&D or production facilities.

My only explanation for this thing is that Ricoh is focusing on the Asian market, like China, India, etc which are emerging markets, and where the Canikon supremacy is not already established. But, of course, I don't know if this is real, and if is, I don't think that a very good strategy for Ricoh, and especially for us, Europeans, and Americans. Because this could mean less representation, less service, and more, future models made in the K-S1 style and size.

Still, I hope I'm wrong, and that's just a momentary lapse.
10-22-2014, 11:51 AM   #87
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
where the Canikon supremacy is not already established.
Yes it is.
10-22-2014, 12:53 PM   #88
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Without advertising, trade shows, etc. the brand will not thrive in the USA.
Marketing the way it was done in the '70's and '80's doesn't work. The Internet has made niche markets possible for anything and everything. It has also made it possible to reach any market from any point of distribution. To make your marketing pay for itself, you need to communicate with buyers who are most likely to buy your products, not your competitors' products. If your products are sold in a mature market, most of your new buyers will be dissatisfied owners of a competitor's product, and those buyers don't wait for the next local trade show to discover what other options there are in the marketplace. I have no idea how Ricoh makes its marketing decisions for the U.S., but nothing that I've seen indicates that they are wasting their money doing whatever it is that they are doing.
10-28-2014, 09:12 AM   #89
Veteran Member

Pentax will be at the McBain photo trade show in Edmonton this weekend.
10-28-2014, 12:11 PM   #90
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
With B&H and Adorama in NYC, it would be a waste to spend too much money on a NYC based show since B&H has more Pentax than what Ricoh takes to their shows.

What *I* would do in NYC is tie into B&H and Adorama while the show goes on.