Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2014, 01:28 AM   #31
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This Japanese review contains still shots and videos taken with the Theta M15 that you can pan around while the video is playing (towards the bottom of the page).

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/review/newproduct/20141114_675976.html

It looks like the results have better clarity than the old version.

11-15-2014, 06:55 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
This Japanese review contains still shots and videos taken with the Theta M15 that you can pan around while the video is playing (towards the bottom of the page).

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/review/newproduct/20141114_675976.html

It looks like the results have better clarity than the old version.
Thanks for posting this. Wow that 360-degree video is psychedelic and dizzying.
11-15-2014, 07:00 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow. that is just weird. It would be fun to play with but I have a hard time seeing it as being very useful once the novelty idea wore off.
11-15-2014, 07:01 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Nice quality indeed... I'm surprised that stitching quality is this high... no visible seams or artifacts?

11-16-2014, 06:22 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Nice quality indeed... I'm surprised that stitching quality is this high... no visible seams or artifacts?
There are clear stitching artifacts on the cymbals in the first couple of samples in the review. Still, the stitching is better than I expected.
11-16-2014, 08:38 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by macTak Quote
There are clear stitching artifacts on the cymbals in the first couple of samples in the review. Still, the stitching is better than I expected.
True that, noticed it now...
Still, as you say, better than expected.
11-18-2014, 08:02 AM   #37
JPT
Pentaxian

Just saw an advertisement for the new Theta on TV during the news here in Japan. It does a fairly good job of illustrating what the Theta can do. And "Your world is not flat" quite a good tag line. It still doesn't fill me with desire to own one though.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/IEuyXvLG6Gg?rel=0&fs=0&autoplay=1
11-18-2014, 08:41 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Just saw an advertisement for the new Theta on TV during the news here in Japan. It does a fairly good job of illustrating what the Theta can do. And "Your world is not flat" quite a good tag line. It still doesn't fill me with desire to own one though.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/IEuyXvLG6Gg?rel=0&fs=0&autoplay=1
It's an action-camera-like marketing for something which is not quite an action camera...
I find that the new product from Kodak has a much stronger identity... this one I bet even the folks at Ricoh aren't to sure what's supposed to be...

11-22-2014, 02:36 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Engadget now has posted its (not particularly favourable) impressions:

Ricoh's new Theta camera delivers (relatively) simple 360-degree video

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
I find that the new product from Kodak has a much stronger identity... this one I bet even the folks at Ricoh aren't to sure what's supposed to be...
Agreed. It seems like a product that was an engineer's pet project that they decided to show at the trade shows because it was interesting, and they got enough of a positive response to start selling it but without ever really figuring out what its market is (or, put another way, what market they want to target with it). That's why the Kodak product gives me hope that it might actually inform Ricoh about the possibilities of the product.
11-22-2014, 08:32 AM   #40
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Engadget now has posted its (not particularly favourable) impressions:
Ricoh's new Theta camera delivers (relatively) simple 360-degree video
Agreed. It seems like a product that was an engineer's pet project that they decided to show at the trade shows because it was interesting, and they got enough of a positive response to start selling it but without ever really figuring out what its market is (or, put another way, what market they want to target with it). That's why the Kodak product gives me hope that it might actually inform Ricoh about the possibilities of the product.
Frankly, that is how I view the Q-family. I'm not convinced that it is aimed at any market, at least at a market that is known to exist.
11-22-2014, 11:16 AM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Frankly, that is how I view the Q-family. I'm not convinced that it is aimed at any market, at least at a market that is known to exist.
The market for the Q clearly exists... in Japan.
Elsewhere it is alot less defined, I'll agree. But in Japan, IMO it fits the culture quite well.
11-22-2014, 02:10 PM   #42
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Agreed. It seems like a product that was an engineer's pet project that they decided to show at the trade shows because it was interesting,
Engineers sometimes function like little boys (or girls these days).
That is not bad.
When I was young, my Dad worked for a division of GE, and I remember his bringing
home a material which the engineers were having fun playing with, even though it
hadn't worked out in its original purpose as a material to seal refrigerator doors.

It was later marketed ... as "Silly Putty"
11-22-2014, 02:40 PM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Engineers sometimes function like little boys (or girls these days).
That is not bad.
When I was young, my Dad worked for a division of GE, and I remember his bringing
home a material which the engineers were having fun playing with, even though it
hadn't worked out in its original purpose as a material to seal refrigerator doors.

It was later marketed ... as "Silly Putty"
In 1968, a scientist at 3M was attempting to develop a super-strong adhesive. He failed and, instead, he accidentally created a "low-tack", reusable, pressure-sensitive adhesive. For years there was no use for this odd adhesive until, in 1974 a colleague of the first scientist came up with the idea of using it to anchor his bookmark in his hymn book. It then became, together with the yellow scrap paper from the lab next-door, what was eventually (in 1980) named the Post-It Note.
11-22-2014, 06:55 PM   #44
JPT
Pentaxian

I can imagine that the Theta technology has a number of different applications for Ricoh, even if it doesn't take off in its current form. It could be used in security cameras, factory automation, "eyes" for robots, etc. Ricoh is in these kinds of business. One idea I had during a conference call last week was that if we had a Theta camera in the centre of the meeting table, it could cut to our faces for the people at the other end and we would have to be all looking towards a camera at one end of the room. Ricoh makes video conference systems too.

This kind of product is not unusual for a Japanese company. They often develop concepts and products that clearly aren't going to be practical or make money. They do it to improve their company image as innovators and this can help them in a variety of ways - notably in recruiting the best graduates from universities and science institutes.
11-23-2014, 05:48 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter

I can imagine that the Theta technology has a number of different applications for Ricoh, even if it doesn't take off in its current form. It could be used in security cameras, factory automation, "eyes" for robots, etc. Ricoh is in these kinds of business. One idea I had during a conference call last week was that if we had a Theta camera in the centre of the meeting table, it could cut to our faces for the people at the other end and we would have to be all looking towards a camera at one end of the room. Ricoh makes video conference systems too.

This kind of product is not unusual for a Japanese company. They often develop concepts and products that clearly aren't going to be practical or make money. They do it to improve their company image as innovators and this can help them in a variety of ways - notably in recruiting the best graduates from universities and science institutes.
I tend to trust others too much I guess. It really seemed to me that there must be a market for this strange device. Security cameras would be an obvious use. I wonder if it being used for that?