Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2014, 02:16 PM   #76
Pentaxian
gazonk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Oslo area, Norway
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,512
Nikon: 17 elements in 11 groups
Canon: 17 elements in 12 groups
Pentax: 16 elements in 12 groups

So no two of them have the exact same construction.

10-31-2014, 03:02 PM   #77
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,772
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
So no two of them have the exact same construction.
But all have the focus ring close to camera and zoom close to front of lens. This configuration seems strange to me, I am used to Pentax lenses only so maybe this is more common but I have only seen it on the Pentax 18-135 before this. Do other companies make lenses with this configuration or is this new?
10-31-2014, 04:25 PM   #78
Veteran Member
robjmitchell's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Melbourne Aus
Posts: 1,148
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Nikon: 17 elements in 11 groups
Canon: 17 elements in 12 groups
Pentax: 16 elements in 12 groups

So no two of them have the exact same construction.
One's not even the same focal length
I'm sure someone will chime in and say tamron made them all!
10-31-2014, 10:50 PM   #79
New Member




Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 3
It seems Sigma is outperforming Pentax Zoom lenses by quite a big margin. Apart from the WR, I am not exactly pleased at all by the slow-ish aperture this new zoom carries. It's also kinda redundant since you already have the robust 18-135 WR out in the market. If they only made it just a stop or half a stop faster like say f/2.8 in the wide end, and f/4 at the long end, this might just be a killer lens to put in one's arsenal.

11-01-2014, 12:42 AM   #80
Forum Member




Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 54
this lens is faster than the 18-135mm WR lens?
And correct my noobness that Pentax is suppose to be using green colored rings around the lens instead of red? (Canon L lenses = red)
so now its silver, green, red and gold for the top end lenses am I right?
11-01-2014, 12:48 AM   #81
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pasadena, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,118
QuoteOriginally posted by EvanYGL Quote
It seems Sigma is outperforming Pentax Zoom lenses by quite a big margin. Apart from the WR, I am not exactly pleased at all by the slow-ish aperture this new zoom carries. It's also kinda redundant since you already have the robust 18-135 WR out in the market. If they only made it just a stop or half a stop faster like say f/2.8 in the wide end, and f/4 at the long end, this might just be a killer lens to put in one's arsenal.
This is a very popular focal length. Every manufacturer has one. Olympus has the highly coveted 12-60mm that I always wished existed for Pentax. 18-135 is great, but I would really like it to have a better quality on the edge of the frame. Regarding the wide end - 18mm vs 16mm makes a big difference for me. The former is almost wide enough, while the latter is just wide enough. I own a 16-45mm and use it a lot, but I wish it was a bit longer... here comes the 16-85. I would really like to get one, actually.
11-01-2014, 12:49 AM   #82
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,267
QuoteOriginally posted by jcagara08 Quote
this lens is faster than the 18-135mm WR lens?
And correct my noobness that Pentax is suppose to be using green colored rings around the lens instead of red? (Canon L lenses = red)
so now its silver, green, red and gold for the top end lenses am I right?
Red is for HD coating.
Green for SMC
Gold for top lenses

Silver? I dunno no silver.
11-01-2014, 01:08 AM   #83
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,845
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Silver? I dunno no silver.
Pentax DA 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 ED[IF] Fisheye, for one.
Plus
DA L 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR,
DA L 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL,
DA L 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED WR,
DA L 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED, and
DA L 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED.


Last edited by rawr; 11-01-2014 at 01:14 AM.
11-01-2014, 01:24 AM   #84
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pasadena, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,118
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Red is for HD coating.
Green for SMC
Gold for top lenses

Silver? I dunno no silver.
DA-L are silver, although it's more like grey.
11-01-2014, 01:46 AM   #85
EMF
New Member




Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 6
Which are the other two releases? 150-600??
11-01-2014, 02:36 AM   #86
Pentaxian
Mistral75's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Paris
Posts: 3,003
QuoteOriginally posted by EMF Quote
Which are the other two releases? 150-600??
70ish-200ish f/2.8 and 100ish-400ish with variable aperture. Both DFAs.
11-01-2014, 02:42 AM   #87
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pasadena, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,118
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
70ish-200ish f/2.8 and 100ish-400ish with variable aperture. Both DFAs.
Is the 100-400 some kind of new design? Maybe it's 80-400 from tokina?
11-01-2014, 02:45 AM   #88
Veteran Member
macTak's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 759
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Red is for HD coating.
Green for SMC
Gold for top lenses

Silver? I dunno no silver.
Silver is on the 645 lenses.
11-01-2014, 03:27 AM   #89
Pentaxian
LensBeginner's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,611
QuoteOriginally posted by jcagara08 Quote
this lens is faster than the 18-135mm WR lens?
And correct my noobness that Pentax is suppose to be using green colored rings around the lens instead of red? (Canon L lenses = red)
so now its silver, green, red and gold for the top end lenses am I right?
Well, the 18-135 reaches f/5.6 pretty fast, around 70-78mm...
It remains to se what the aperture steps are on this one...
11-01-2014, 06:05 AM   #90
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,267
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Well, the 18-135 reaches f/5.6 pretty fast, around 70-78mm...
It remains to se what the aperture steps are on this one...
Ah, right. I missed that DA-L/645 colour.

Thank ya.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
16mm, 72mm, af, barrel, bundle, da, da 16-85, f4, fa, fe, ff, filter, hd, iq, kit, lens, lenses, lot, page, pentax, pentax da, pentax da 16-85, pentax news, pentax rumors, philosophy, price, usd
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
16-85mm vs 18-135mm wr Conqueror Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 17 10-12-2014 02:41 PM
Aargh! Just bent the metal lens hood on my Sigma 8-16 Unsinkable II Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 31 12-21-2012 08:20 AM
Sigma 85mm/1.4 price for Pentax mount now released. Pentaxor Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 91 10-25-2010 08:14 PM
Just bought myself the 16-50mm lurchlarson Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 12 05-24-2010 07:48 AM
Topaz Denoise 4 just released! JohnBee Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 3 05-07-2010 07:46 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:33 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top