Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2014, 09:59 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
So December may see the 135-400...so I can tell the birds they better wait with their migration , I mean how long to laser print some words & numbers on the lens!! this one should give 840 effective FL with the 1.4TC, which is close to the 150-600 Sigma/Tamron,& I assume it will be RAZOR sharp at 400 & maybe be a competitor to the Nikon 80-400 G model (hope not in price!)
as far as FF,pentax had better come with a 36MP beast, or Sony/Canon with the rumoured 50MP Foveon sensor will Eat it alive..oh but then it will take away from Pentax MF sales..so I guess will see a 26MP to compete with Samsung...Or ???
It would need to be at least 36MP if they include a crop mode, so that photos taken with DX lenses have decent resolution. It would help those making the transition from DX to FX, to not have to replace their DX lenses all at once. It would also give shooters who need the reach of a telephoto lens an interim option while they save up for a FF telephoto lens :-)

11-04-2014, 10:25 PM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Ah, they have that. But they cannot decide upon which silly colour scheme to dress up the FF: "Sweets" or "Krauts".
We all know Ricoh — they have one just card up in their sleeves, and they play it over, and over, and over again.
Which is why there photo copiers are so good!
11-04-2014, 10:44 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Confused am I, yes, apparently. Obviously I confused the 16-85 with the
two anonymous barrels presented at Photokina. Afterall, that was MONTHS ago.

Of course this means the other two lenses will be many, many, many months away
from being considered to be released. They were, afterall, just barrels with no
markings. Obviously Pentax has no idea what focal length they are as yet, which
means they can't even begin to decide how many blades to use or whether they'll
need a hood....

Last edited by tvdtvdtvd; 11-04-2014 at 10:50 PM.
11-04-2014, 10:51 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
3 lenses, the 16-85 and two not yet revealed

11-05-2014, 01:35 AM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
Of course this means the other two lenses will be many, many, many months away
from being considered to be released. They were, afterall, just barrels with no
markings. Obviously Pentax has no idea what focal length they are as yet, which
means they can't even begin to decide how many blades to use or whether they'll
need a hood....
I hope you are joking...
11-05-2014, 06:54 AM   #51
Veteran Member

award consists of many factors ...
When released Fujifilm X I really wanted to buy it. read a lot of forums - praised her.
Then I thought - it's not only the camera deserves attention, but the lenses.
Lenses were only 3 options and they cost expensive, so I decided - that it would be a bad waste of money.
Because no matter how good was the camera without lens - it loses much.
So all is not gold that glitters but the inscription on the box that the camera nomimant - very pleasantly pleasing to the eye
11-05-2014, 01:25 PM   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I hope you are joking...
I'd guess, he's not joking at all.

11-05-2014, 02:17 PM   #53
Pentaxian

So he really believes that Ricoh/Pentax worked on the barrels (having finished prototypes) before knowing even the focal length? Oh, boy...
11-05-2014, 03:15 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
So he really believes that Ricoh/Pentax worked on the barrels (having finished prototypes) before knowing even the focal length? Oh, boy...
I'm sure Ricoh knows the focal length but do we know the focal length?
11-05-2014, 03:55 PM   #55
Pentaxian

More or less, from the public roadmap and possibly other sources.
11-05-2014, 07:33 PM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
I'm sure Ricoh knows the focal length but do we know the focal length?

I'm sure that Ricoh knows exactly what the two lenses are going to be. However, sadly, we actually don't "know" anything for certain. We can only make our best guesses and hope... I'm sure that I'll probably want one of those lenses as long as its at least 400mm... I also "believe" that each of the lenses will be well thought out and nicely produced for a segment of the Pentax community that they believe can make them money. And I'm also learning as a Pentax owner how to be patient...which is easier when you have to save for each new lens.

11-06-2014, 03:48 AM   #57

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
The two lenses we're talking about may or may not be FF, but the will be equaly useful on our current cameras. If we start seeing a 24-70 then we will know FF is just around the corner. Not that this thread was ever about a FF camera
Maybe the new 20-40 is FF compatible?
11-06-2014, 04:30 AM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnnyBravo Quote
Maybe the new 20-40 is FF compatible?
nope ! There is heavy vigneting all the way, and very soft in the corner.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/247859-da-limited-zoom-clu...ml#post2762148
12-20-2014, 05:24 AM   #59
Veteran Member

That funny how wild it goes with mostly personnal opinion and wishes.

Looking at history with the anouncements we had for the lenses, it can go anywhere from now to 2-3 years time frame or never. This is what happened historically. You could get lenses that were even not shown in the plans at all too.

As for my personnal opinion, as we are still speaking of prototypes, Ricoh still need to finalize the design, perform tests... potentially adapt to new market trends then industrialize the thing and finally send it to distributors. Unlikely to be less than 6 months time frame from last photokina. But that's a minimum timeframe, not in any way something that is 100% sure to happen that soon.

FF is earlier in stage, no prototype shown... So it look like 1 year timeframe at best (meaning Q4 2015 at best).

Pentax can anounce some lenses in Feb, some new body too. Why not a new DSLR? But that doesn't mean it is the super tele or the Pentax FF. APSC cover enough sales to justify a K60 and K3-II somewhere in 2015 whatever the status on FF.
12-20-2014, 05:31 AM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Does anyone seriously believe they don't have a working FF prototype right now? The basic fact of them putting K-3 tech in a MF body should tell you everything you need to know right?

Cad, 3D Printing, off the shelf parts etc etc...
Prototypes they have got some since their first try on an FF digital more than 10 years ago... As for putting K3 tech on MF body is not new, the previous MF made a few years agos used the technology of their APSC bodies at that time... And there still no FF available to buy from Pentax.

Making an FF body is very easy, they basically just need to take K3, replace the sensor, make the mirror box bigger and they are done. They did it for many film bodies so that's not like it is impossible to make.

But they also need a good lense offering to go with it (3-5 zooms, a few refreshed primes) and be reasonably sure all of this would sell well.

This is more difficult in particular in a shrinking market overall.