Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
12-28-2014, 08:53 AM   #76
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Down market will be characterized by filling the holes in their offerings. And implementing the technologies developed for their high end offerings.
Actually it the K-mount K3 that allowed the 645Z to shine... They share most of the hardware/electronics. it is likely next time to be the same again, in a few years the new processor/improvement made for the APSC (or FF) body will go into the MF body. They may even manage to make it a good camera for sports/action with incredible high isos and image quality. They already managed to make 645Z a good all purpose camera, a thing other MF manufacturers had issue to achieve.

This also mean there not really any protection to entry for Pentax except in the lense echosystem offering. Canikon could make a better MF body the day they would want it just by using all the technology they use for FF but on a bigger sensor.

12-28-2014, 10:20 AM - 1 Like   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
knew Ricoh's plans for a whole year ahead, they could release competitive products to seal the market. Ricoh has to stay quiet, has to be a wildcard
They do not have to even release anything, just a rumor they are working on a similar product that will be out 'real soon now'. Called FUD, 'fear, uncertainty, doubt', market leaders often use this tactic against upstarts to prevent them from gaining any market share. A rumor that Sony or Nikon or Canon is close to release of a similar product as Ricoh tends to freeze potential buyers to see what the other brand is bringing out.
01-02-2015, 12:14 AM   #78
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
I guess I just wonder if it will be in my lifetime...
Not feeling unwell, are we?
01-02-2015, 12:43 AM   #79
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Not feeling unwell, are we?
No, but at 56 I am getting on in years.

01-02-2015, 05:39 AM   #80
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
No, but at 56 I am getting on in years.
56? Youngster! I'm starting to avoid buying green bananas…
01-02-2015, 06:45 AM   #81
Forum Member

if the new zooms can't hit the 600mm reach, well hope sigma release the 150-600mm for pentax though. Pentax lens are extinct and very hard to find but if found it is usually more expensive than other counterparts in singapore
01-02-2015, 07:49 AM   #82
Pentaxian

I inquired from Sigma about the 150-600 sport and they said they don't have it in Pentax mount and don't see it being made for Pentax in the near future. It's a pity, I think a lot of us here are interested with this lens.

01-02-2015, 10:45 AM   #83
Forum Member

Not even contemporary???? Guess I be finding option then
01-02-2015, 12:35 PM   #84
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

According to Sigma "sources" quoted here several times, the 8-16 was not going to be produced in K-mount any more, either. Somehow, new lens batches have regularly turned up in the twelve months since. If there is enough demand, they will make it in K-mount.
01-02-2015, 07:22 PM   #85
Forum Member

I was quite happy at first when they announce that mounts can be changed a year ago but then a sigma 35mm ART can change mount from others to Kmount? Yet the 150-600 cannot change to Kmount left me very curious are they contradicting or trying to be funny
01-02-2015, 09:26 PM   #86
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by simon6z Quote
I was quite happy at first when they announce that mounts can be changed a year ago but then a sigma 35mm ART can change mount from others to Kmount? Yet the 150-600 cannot change to Kmount left me very curious are they contradicting or trying to be funny
You can only change to a mount that they already make. So if the lens is not available in k-mount then you cannot change. While the mount change program sounds really good I do not think it is all that useful. The cost is fairly high from what I saw and might be no different than selling your older lens and buying a new one in the new mount. And if you can get used in your new mount then the difference is even smaller. I just do not see many people using the program.
Not even contemporary???? Guess I be finding option then
Curious what options you will be looking at, not sure there are many in k-mount.
QuoteQuote:
I inquired from Sigma about the 150-600 sport and they said they don't have it in Pentax mount and don't see it being made for Pentax in the near future. It's a pity, I think a lot of us here are interested with this lens.
I think Sigma's "not available in k-mount" really means "not available in k-mount unless we have excess capacity and think we can make money on producing a small run for a small off brand" Other lenses have eventually come out in k-mount and if Pentax gains any market share then new ones will as well. But it might be years after introduction in Canikon.
01-02-2015, 10:14 PM   #87
Pentaxian

I've got a Sigma 150-500 in K mount. I'm pleased with it's performance. Will an extra 100mm make a significant difference ?
01-02-2015, 10:30 PM   #88
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I've got a Sigma 150-500 in K mount. I'm pleased with it's performance. Will an extra 100mm make a significant difference ?
Any way you look at it, a 600mm FL will give you 20% more magnification than a 500mm, but would you worry about the difference between a 50 and a 55mm lens, all other things being equal?
01-02-2015, 10:49 PM   #89
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Look on youtube for a project where someone did a short movie with the 645z. It wasn't speed or hardware power, it was bad codecs that made it disappointing. It is worth watching, I'm sure Ricoh has watched it. Then they told their engineers to fix it. That free firmware upgrade will if successful open a new market to the existing body. People who own it already will get it for nothing; but those who couldn't use it right now because it isn't adequate could, and will possibly buy one.

3. Yes indeed. Right now for me, what I shoot, how I shoot, I'll list the alternatives and rough price. I use the resolution of the K3 for cropping, so a less dense sensor would be a downgrade. If I want a stop improvement in noise I would have to go to something like the D810 or equivalent. Not counting lenses, that is close to $3k. In lenses, I shoot a 500 f4.5 I could get half a stop and go 500 f4, taking the better part of $10k. I probably could get an effective stop of better noise with software technique for substantially less. Mastering wildlife flash technique is less money as well with more potential gain.

I may very well pass on the next iteration of the aps-c, and look carefully at what FF offering shows up. I am not alone.

The possibility of a new market segment, medium format video, will drive Pentax until they satisfy the needs of that market. The unique spot they have in the market with an affordable medium format stills body will also drive them. There is a potential that increased volumes will start showing up in lower prices due to production efficiencies. Their 645 lenses are extremely expensive probably due to the very small production runs. They could start squeezing into the high end of the 35mm market. They have a window of time where they could have the revenues to build out a service offering as well.

Down market will be characterized by filling the holes in their offerings. And implementing the technologies developed for their high end offerings.

Ahasiman says a firmware update for the 645 and K in the spring. That makes perfect sense to me. Make a very nice box, then do what is needed to sell more of them.
I saw the video on youtube as well (posted below), and had exactly the same thoughts as you. Pentax have a unique opportunity with the 645z: to beat the big two at the top end.

I hate to say it, but if I was advising Pentax on short-term strategy I'd be saying "get some leaf-shutter lenses and improve video for the 645z....forget the FF for now....and seize this all-too-brief opportunity you have with the 645 to be the go to top-end camera". Apparently leaf-shutter lenses are in the works right now, so they aren't standing still. Firmware updates to significantly improve video would be a great and obvious next step to make more people (with the money) sit up and take notice.

Unfortunately for us FF hopefuls, I'm not sure Pentax has the resources to further develop the 645z, and develop a new FF offering simultaneously. I really hope I'm wrong, but this time I could understand if FF gets delayed at the expense of capitalising on the opprtunity the 645z represents.

The youtube video you referred to:
01-03-2015, 12:43 AM   #90
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Well yes, 20% more magnification, faster focusing and weather sealing. It'll probably make you feel you're using a Pentax. Just probably.