Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2014, 08:24 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Is it really 2015 already?

11-05-2014, 08:31 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
They also tabbed the Epson Expression Photo XP-950 as best printer, yet the printer does not enjoy a sterling reputation. Check out the reviews at B&H
11-05-2014, 09:22 AM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dcBear78 Quote
To be fair though the couple Camera House stores I've been into don't even have any stock of Pentax gear on display.
Who knows how an award dynamic plays out when all nominees are potential advertisers or suppliers, DCB?

Not for a moment, I hasten to point out, do I think the K-S1 isn't a worthy winner of that category - I bought one!
11-05-2014, 01:28 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Chasseur d'Images gave 4 stars (out of 5) and 4 ou of 5 as "love rating".

The only real con to them is the price (which was lowered since).
Rest is question of taste but tince this is no cam for us (maybe someone will hear this), we shoud not care a iota about its effect on us.

11-05-2014, 02:34 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
OK, I have to ask, owning a K-5 and K-01 as well as my K-3, why wouldn't I be interested in this camera? If I sell the K-5 and K-01 why wouldn't this be good back-up camera? I find the reaction to this camera on the forum puzzling. For me, it has to be better than my K-5 and K-01 in low light to be attractive, but there's nothing wrong with it I can see. For a backup camera, it's small, and it's light... perfect, as long as the IQ is there.
And it is there :

11-05-2014, 02:42 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OK, here's probably what I wanted to know.... going backwards in the low light score...
Pentax K-S1 vs K-3 vs K-5 IIs: Different resolutions, similar Sensor Scores - DxOMark
11-05-2014, 04:45 PM   #22
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by JimC1101 Quote
Interesting. I have never really seen this magazine in AU but someone seems to think it is not too bad being that it was voted tops in Consumer Camera Of The Year.
Camera Magazine Imaging Awards 2015 announced | Camera | News | AVHub
I guess a lot of people in the forum don't like it but I guess they are missing the point.
I am from OZ and have never heard of the magazine.
However, not that it should be waived off as irrelevant; in the big picture of things, Australia is totally irrelevant. But inside it, they may be some things local small magazines believe are relevant.

But aside all that: I would love to see EISA award for the K-S1. Shall we see it? Not a chance.
K-3 may deserve EISA, or 645Z may as well. Because in big picture of things, those are relevant cameras and breakthroughs.
K-S1 is just a candy bar, and positioned and marketed as such, awarded gold medals by local lolly shops.

11-05-2014, 05:28 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well I am not from OZ so I am not sure but you could be right. Considering that this camera is new to the market, I am quite surprised to hear this type of agreement from anyone, but the other two contenders who were runner ups. Canon EOS 1200D, Nikon D5300, are known cameras that others have been using. Are they just candy bars too ?

I still think that others are missing the point on this camera. We all have opinions so I could be wrong just as anyone but there is more to taking a picture for some others. I wouldn't want a yellow or pink car but others do so am I wrong and they are right or vice vetsa? To each his own.
11-05-2014, 05:34 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
OK, I have to ask, owning a K-5 and K-01 as well as my K-3, why wouldn't I be interested in this camera? If I sell the K-5 and K-01 why wouldn't this be good back-up camera? I find the reaction to this camera on the forum puzzling. For me, it has to be better than my K-5 and K-01 in low light to be attractive, but there's nothing wrong with it I can see. For a backup camera, it's small, and it's light... perfect, as long as the IQ is there.
When the price drops on the K-S1 (January?) my son will probably get one with the plastic 35/2.4 attached. He currently uses one of my Q's and still wants to press his eye to the... oh wait, no viewfinder! Who am I to encourage him to hold a camera at arm's length?

As far as current backup bodies, I think the K-50 is pretty much the one to beat. Weather sealed, same K-5 sensor, better AF, and a bit lighter...
11-05-2014, 05:50 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
I got to hold an play with the K-S1 last weekend at a Pentax 645z demo session. For one, it's a small camera and the rear control wheels are a bit unusual for this K3, K5, K20 user, however in a couple of minutes it was easy to adapt to. It also felt good to hold, not K3 or K30 like but better for a smaller hand I think. The menus are familiar with more of a Ricoh GR feeling. I think they have a winner there.
Glad to see you write that.
11-06-2014, 07:46 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The only issue I had with the K-s1 was the entry price... otherwise I thought it was good move...
11-06-2014, 08:15 AM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Rest is question of taste but since this is no cam for us ...
Yes it is. Shame it doesn't take AA batts and I doubt I need the LEDs, but otherwise there's nothing wrong with it.
11-06-2014, 08:52 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clothears Quote
Yes it is. Shame it doesn't take AA batts and I doubt I need the LEDs, but otherwise there's nothing wrong with it.

No, non, I didn't say it is no good, I say we aren't the target group. Even better if we buy it too
11-06-2014, 09:27 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by spartan Quote
The only issue I had with the K-s1 was the entry price... otherwise I thought it was good move...
I agree, I think $599 would be more realistic, at least in North America.
11-06-2014, 09:34 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
True, but it is a 20MP sensor so even though no WR and/or second wheel, the MP size is the driver. I think we will see it moving down considerably before the holidays. It is always easier to start high and go down in price then to move up in price until EOL takes shape. Look at where the K-5X and K-3's started at.