Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
11-06-2014, 09:40 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JimC1101 Quote
True, but it is a 20MP sensor. I think we will see it moving down considerably before the holidays. It is always easier to start high and go down in price then to move up in price until EOL takes shape. Look at where the K-5X and K-3's started at.
In a previous post somewhere in this thread, I speculated that Pentax got these 20MP sensors from Sony on closeout... I bet they didn't pay any more than they did for the 16MP sensors.

I know that Pentax (like many companies) like to start very high on price to get extra $$ from the early adopters. The fact that the K-S1 dropped in price so soon makes me wonder if that stratagem didn't work so well. The problem is that initial MSRP stays on the Internet, forever.

11-07-2014, 09:24 AM   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
No, non, I didn't say it is no good, I say we aren't the target group. Even better if we buy it too
I'm certainly in the target group. I want a camera with good IQ that doesn't weigh a ton and doesn't have unnecessary fripperies like an articulated screen.
11-07-2014, 10:00 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clothears Quote
I'm certainly in the target group. I want a camera with good IQ that doesn't weigh a ton and doesn't have unnecessary fripperies like an articulated screen.
Specs suit you and it's fine. I still don't beleive you're in the target group seen from Ricoh's perspective.
IMO 95% if not more of this forum isn't the target.
11-07-2014, 06:18 PM   #34

Looks good to me

I'm upgrading from K-X, want a lightweight compact system for travel. K-3 looks very good but it is significantly more money & more weight, and I probably would not use many of its more advanced features. The K-S1 might be just the ticket, especially if the price comes down a bit from the initial high one.

11-07-2014, 10:44 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
In a previous post somewhere in this thread, I speculated that Pentax got these 20MP sensors from Sony on closeout... I bet they didn't pay any more than they did for the 16MP sensors.

I know that Pentax (like many companies) like to start very high on price to get extra $$ from the early adopters. The fact that the K-S1 dropped in price so soon makes me wonder if that stratagem didn't work so well. The problem is that initial MSRP stays on the Internet, forever.
Well, anything is possible on close out I guess but Sony is still manufacturing the SLT-A58 and A3000 so I would not think that they have stopped shipping any of these on close out. A lot of prior threads have made it seem that the K-S1 is a bad camera, in their opinion, and they have tried to bash it with old or close out items just to kludge something together for Pentax to sell. I think not and I just don't think a lot of other posters seem to get the point on it.
11-09-2014, 10:52 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know that Pentax (like many companies) like to start very high on price to get extra $$ from the early adopters.
In some countries (US for example) law requires a product to be advertised at a price for so many days before you can claim a 'sale' price is so much off the 'regular' price. So if you are running a 'Black Friday' special and claiming the price is say $200 off regular price, then the product must have been available and advertised at the higher price "for a reasonably substantial period of time", according to the Federal Trade Commission.

This fundamentally is the reason for the sometimes silly release prices. They are designed so retailers can claim a huge sale discount price later on. Of course the other side is that if a particular product does take off at the higher price huge profits are made. That does not happen often but just like playing the lottery someone wins often enough to keep everyone trying.
11-09-2014, 10:59 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Why is that a problem?? A person sees it listed for half of that MSRP may think he's getting a bargain. Not everyone does the research of comparing every camera on every aspect.

11-09-2014, 12:57 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Why is that a problem?? A person sees it listed for half of that MSRP may think he's getting a bargain. Not everyone does the research of comparing every camera on every aspect.
Unreasonably high initial MSRP's can be a problem particularly for companies like RIAC who don't advertise much. Perceived product value in those cases is influenced strongly by internet reviews, both formal and informal. The review sites, blogs, etc. are typically published with the initial MSRP. How many times have we read that though the Pentax whatever is a great product, we can't recommend it because its price is 30-50% higher than similar offerings from competitors.

You and I may know that the K-S1 will not sell more than a handful of units at $800 and will gladly wait a few months for the price to drop to what it's actually worth. But those internet reviews sadly lamenting the way too high price don't go away, and they will continue to influence buying decisions throughout the product life cycle.

I think the Q and and the K-01 illustrate the problem perfectly. Note in contrast the Ricoh GR, which drew kudos and no doubt many sales because it was a better value than Nikon's offering.

Both those Pentax cameras developed a (maybe not large, but) quite loyal following among enthusiasts after price drops to what, half the initial MSRP. (I'm speaking about the U.S. market/RIAC here, not sure about other countries). Yet they both completely missed what should have been their biggest market segment in my view - the non-enthusiast non-traditional camera (read SLR) buyer new to ILC's. I hope the K-S1 doesn't suffer the same fate. I think J. Carlson just doesn't get the internet and it's reflection of - and influence on - his market. Witness the KS-1 ad.

Last edited by cfraz; 11-09-2014 at 02:29 PM.
11-09-2014, 01:31 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cfraz Quote
But those internet reviews sadly lamenting the way too high price don't go away, and they will continue to influence buying decisions throughout the product life cycle.
QuoteOriginally posted by cfraz Quote
How many times have we read that though the Pentax whatever is a great product, we can't recommend it because its price is 30-50% higher than similar offerings from competitors.
Another way to look at it though is that those reviews that state "great product but too expensive" make an impact when later a reader sees the original price and thinks "what a great deal" since the price is now only 'xyz'. Not saying high initial pricing does not have negative consequences, only that if your marketing strategy is to discount prices in the future that offsets the initial negative reports and turns them into a positive.
11-10-2014, 07:19 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by spartan Quote
The only issue I had with the K-s1 was the entry price... otherwise I thought it was good move...
Yes, that seems to be common practice for Pentax. Maybe they think later buyers will be excited by the apparent savings. Sony took a different tack with the A6000 which they introduced at a astonishing low price. It seemed to have worked since that camera has seemed to sell very well.
11-16-2014, 06:23 AM   #41
Pentaxian

Flash sale of Pentax K-S1 Sweets Collection packs (white body with cyan, lime or pink coloured panels + white DA L 18-55mm + 16GB O-FC1 Flucard + bag + strap) at €529 (MSRP: €849), eligible to Ricoh's €50 cash-back, on the French website vente-privee.com.

Last edited by Mistral75; 11-16-2014 at 06:54 AM.
11-16-2014, 06:25 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That's a fantastic sale. Also a fantastic bag and strap combo lol.. I really want it.
11-21-2014, 10:37 AM   #43
Pentaxian

Yeah, in France you can get the black version with DA 50/1.8 for 432-50 Pentax cash-back = € 382,00 on Amazon...

K-S1 + DA 35/2.4
11-24-2014, 09:17 PM   #44

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Yes, I think many industry awards could do with United Nations scrutineers.

They're often political you-scratch-my-back, next-year-it's-yours, etc, affairs.
Be careful what you wish for... While UN monitors may work OK on some key issues, they are still not permitted to upset the political applecart. As a separate thing, UN meetings operate in exactly the same way, decision-making is by concensus, and words have to be chosen very carefully for fear of causing offense... I fear you'd end up with the same "my turn this year, your turn next" situation you seek to avoid.
12-03-2014, 02:47 PM   #45

Another awarded Pentax camera
I am currently using my k-01, and am very happy with it except the slow auto-focus.
I always want a new k-mount small camera with the same picture quality and better auto-focus system.
The k-s1 seems like a good option for me