Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2014, 01:14 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax K-S1 Voted Consumer Camera Of The Year

Interesting. I have never really seen this magazine in AU but someone seems to think it is not too bad being that it was voted tops in Consumer Camera Of The Year.

Camera Magazine Imaging Awards 2015 announced | Camera | News | AVHub

I guess a lot of people in the forum don't like it but I guess they are missing the point.

11-05-2014, 01:38 AM   #2

Agreed, enthusiasts and consumers are not the same breed of people. Good to see the pentax doing well though.
11-05-2014, 03:31 AM   #3
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is good to see someone recognising Pentax. But, when you look back, the accolades given to the K10D, K-3 and others show that Pentax does not lack for recognition. I look forward to seeing the K-S1 review here. It must have something that makes it stand out and I must admit I am mildly interested as I am in the market for an upgrade.
11-05-2014, 03:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Hypnotic LEDs!
We are still quite fond of good old pentax here in Aus!

11-05-2014, 03:48 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JimC1101 Quote
Interesting. I have never really seen this magazine in AU but someone seems to think it is not too bad being that it was voted tops in Consumer Camera Of The Year.

Camera Magazine Imaging Awards 2015 announced | Camera | News | AVHub

I guess a lot of people in the forum don't like it but I guess they are missing the point.

I find these kind of awards practically worthless not very indicative of... anything. They say

QuoteQuote:
"As always, all the eligible products in each category are judged on a wide variety of design, operational and performance criteria along with a consideration of just how effectively the design brief has been met,” says Editor Paul Burrows. “Pricing is taken into account too, but isn’t necessarily a deal-breaker because some products would still win even if they were twice or three times the asking price – they’re simply that good – some represent such staggeringly good value-for-money that there’s no contest.
"After we’ve arrived at a shortlist of high-scoring potential winners, we leave the objective behind and consider the subjective elements – i.e. the look, the feel and the experience – and then it’s a case of looking for that special ‘something’ that generally tends to separate a winner from the best-of-the-rest every time.
"None of the categories was a walk-over this year so all the winners had to be a little bit special to rise above their rivals, either by simply being a better conceived package all round or by possessing one element of design or performance that was discernibly better than anything we’d seen before. Either way, the winners of the 2014-15 Camera Magazine Imaging Awards are undoubtedly the cream of the crop.”
So... a bunch of dudes sat and decided what is hot and what is not? Not going into the motivations behind some (or all) of their choices, and without any hard data on sales of the items mentioned, I'd just say this is another random list by random dude(s) on the net.

Or as the Dude himself would say

11-05-2014, 04:07 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cxdoo Quote
I'd just say this is another random list by random dude(s) on the net.
If only it were, Cxdoo.

Got to be suspicious of magazine awards funded by a camera retail chain.

Nevertheless, Pentax was also represented by the 645Z and K-3 as top three finalists.
11-05-2014, 04:07 AM   #7
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
Hypnotic LEDs!
Like bunnies in a spotlight!

11-05-2014, 04:10 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
If only it were, Cxdoo.

Nevertheless, Pentax was also represented by the 645Z and K-3 as top three finalists.

I know, but I didn't want to go there (Not going into the motivations...).

When you work for a company that gets lots of similar awards in its own industry, you get jaded very fast.
11-05-2014, 04:13 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cxdoo Quote
When you work for a company that gets lots of similar awards in its own industry, you get jaded very fast.
Yes, I think many industry awards could do with United Nations scrutineers.

They're often political you-scratch-my-back, next-year-it's-yours, etc, affairs.
11-05-2014, 06:04 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
If only it were, Cxdoo.

To be fair though the couple Camera House stores I've been into don't even have any stock of Pentax gear on display. Nor have any knowledge on the brand. Although some of their shops might be different.

Plus the distributor, CR Kennedy has pissed off a lot of retail outlets as they sell
Pentax gear direct to the public through their website at prices no other retail store could dream of matching. They are also the Aussie distributor for Sigma and a few other brands which they sell on ebay (dcxprt) at grey market prices.

Personally, as a consumer I think it's great that we get amazing prices. I also think this retail model is the way forward for us here in Australia.
11-05-2014, 06:51 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I got to hold an play with the K-S1 last weekend at a Pentax 645z demo session. For one, it's a small camera and the rear control wheels are a bit unusual for this K3, K5, K20 user, however in a couple of minutes it was easy to adapt to. It also felt good to hold, not K3 or K30 like but better for a smaller hand I think. The menus are familiar with more of a Ricoh GR feeling. I think they have a winner there.
11-05-2014, 06:59 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
I got to hold an play with the K-S1 last weekend at a Pentax 645z demo session. For one, it's a small camera and the rear control wheels are a bit unusual for this K3, K5, K20 user, however in a couple of minutes it was easy to adapt to. It also felt good to hold, not K3 or K30 like but better for a smaller hand I think. The menus are familiar with more of a Ricoh GR feeling. I think they have a winner there.

I'm very positive about this camera too, and now that I think, I don't wont to come off as Pentax or K-S1 basher. Once I see it I'll have to reason hard with the (already building up) excuse of buying it for a family member so I can use it too.
Just, this kind of (as I maliciously assume) PR fluff doesn't excite me.
Oh well, at least can't say Ricoh Marketing is doing nothing.
11-05-2014, 07:10 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

OK, I have to ask, owning a K-5 and K-01 as well as my K-3, why wouldn't I be interested in this camera? If I sell the K-5 and K-01 why wouldn't this be good back-up camera? I find the reaction to this camera on the forum puzzling. For me, it has to be better than my K-5 and K-01 in low light to be attractive, but there's nothing wrong with it I can see. For a backup camera, it's small, and it's light... perfect, as long as the IQ is there.
11-05-2014, 07:19 AM   #14
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you look back at the past year, what would be the competition be for the Consumer DSLR of the year? The Nikon D3300? Just a warmed over D3200. The Canon EOS 1200D? I don't think so. So, I don't see any need for Ricoh to offer an inducement. The K-S1 wins almost by default.
11-05-2014, 07:52 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
If I sell the... K-01
NO!!!