Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2014, 03:02 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
OK, I have to ask, owning a K-5 and K-01 as well as my K-3, why wouldn't I be interested in this camera? If I sell the K-5 and K-01 why wouldn't this be good back-up camera? I find the reaction to this camera on the forum puzzling. For me, it has to be better than my K-5 and K-01 in low light to be attractive, but there's nothing wrong with it I can see. For a backup camera, it's small, and it's light... perfect, as long as the IQ is there.
Like Norm, I can see a KS-1 replacing both my K-01 and K-5 IIs. Moon Silver methinks....

12-03-2014, 03:54 PM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
OK, I have to ask, owning a K-5 and K-01 as well as my K-3, why wouldn't I be interested in this camera? If I sell the K-5 and K-01 why wouldn't this be good back-up camera? I find the reaction to this camera on the forum puzzling. For me, it has to be better than my K-5 and K-01 in low light to be attractive, but there's nothing wrong with it I can see. For a backup camera, it's small, and it's light... perfect, as long as the IQ is there.
Don't ever have to sell the K-01. What are you going to do with the proceeds, buy a battery or two and a new SD card? Keeper for sure. That said, an options with VF is definitely good for back-up. I sometimes wear contact lenses and cannot see a rear screen.
12-03-2014, 06:00 PM   #48
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by troy_ray Quote
Another awarded Pentax camera
I am currently using my k-01, and am very happy with it except the slow auto-focus.
I always want a new k-mount small camera with the same picture quality and better auto-focus system.
The k-s1 seems like a good option for me

You'll be getting something small, Troy, with the AA filter less design you like from the K-01, with more pixels, and yes, a phase detect focus system as well as Live View.

The focus peaking now has the in-focus areas flashing in red, BTW. Much clearer than the steady white in my K-30 with light coloured subjects.
12-03-2014, 08:36 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Wait, so Nikon had two contenders in a couple categories and Canon had none? Were Canon's offerings really that bad this year? I only saw them listed twice.

12-03-2014, 11:43 PM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Like Norm, I can see a KS-1 replacing both my K-01 and K-5 IIs. Moon Silver methinks....
The silver version is kind of snazzy. Maybe this time next year for me if there aren't any worthwhile announcements by then and if it's in the $400 range.
12-04-2014, 12:23 AM   #51
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
Maybe this time next year for me if there aren't any worthwhile announcements by then and if it's in the $400 range.
It's not much more than that now if you deduct the value of the kit lens and FluCard. I ordered one from B&H today. The kit lens will most likely be given away with my K-01, and the K-5 IIs should be on the market soon...
12-04-2014, 03:11 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Good to see that pentax is getting recognition in some places, at least! The K3 and 645Z were also nominated All indications are that the K-S1 is a decent camera, I just find it really, really ugly. Never been a fan of candy-coloured DSLRs to begin with, and the combination of the bad colour combinations, LEDs and cheap plastic body is just no good. If I were to spring for a smaller pentax body, I'd probably get a K-01

12-04-2014, 04:53 AM   #53
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The kit lens will most likely be given away with my K-01

QuoteOriginally posted by ZoeB Quote
If I were to spring for a smaller pentax body, I'd probably get a K-01

Sounds like a match made in heaven!
12-04-2014, 04:59 AM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Sounds like a match made in heaven!
if somebody's giving away a K-01, I'm in, but an entire month's salary is about to go to a K-3, so i'm not spending any money on new camera bodies for a while :P
12-04-2014, 05:21 AM   #55
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZoeB Quote
an entire month's salary is about to go to a K-3

My K-3 is "in the mail" - paid for with part of a small inheritance. But I am not giving away my K-01 either!
12-04-2014, 10:44 AM   #56
Pentaxian

It probably was the only candidate. The D3300 was announced in January. Canon didn't do anything in the entry level.
12-05-2014, 12:45 AM   #57
Veteran Member

K-S1 sensor is sightly worse than K30, K5 or K3. I don't get why they got this one. In term of features, it is no better than K30/K50 but noticably more expensive.

There only weight/size/look to justify it.
12-05-2014, 04:00 AM   #58

Might suit me

I think it is a bit overpriced now because it is new, but it might suit me rather well once the price drops a bit. I have some decent lenses but only k100 and K-x bodies. K-S1 is about 100 g lighter than k50, which is important to me. K-01 is tempting but I do not think I'd be happy without a viewfinder.

As for the k-3, it may be a wonderful camera for some people but I do not need the advanced features and cannot afford to pay for them.
12-05-2014, 05:18 AM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pashley Quote
As for the k-3, it may be a wonderful camera for some people but I do not need the advanced features and cannot afford to pay for them.
The single most important feature for me was autofocus accuracy and performance. Focus point are smaller, work better in low light and overall make lens (even fast lenses) to focus fast and accurately even in difficult conditions. That was game changer to me.

But if you are not after that, for sure, you don't need it... And if you can't afford, well k3 will be quite affordable soon. (already better).
12-05-2014, 06:05 AM   #60
Forum Member

Consumer Camera Of The Year but k-3 on top three of the Enthusiast list!!!