Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
12-10-2014, 04:42 AM   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Right, owning K-3 i could say the same...

But the compacity/leight weight of K-S1 is just allowing me to have it "always with me", with DA35mm or one of the DA Limited lenses (just as with K-01) ; which is not the case of the K-3.
until it starts to rain

12-10-2014, 05:01 AM   #77
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
But Pentax are not aiming it as an upgrade for you - that's a K-3 or 645Z. ;-)

Spot on! Not every new camera is aimed at every user. Nor should that be a problem. A good camera stands on its own and there is no evidence that the K-S1 is not a good camera.
12-10-2014, 05:03 AM   #78

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
until it starts to rain
In which case one looks for the nearest pub. Pictures taken in the rain are rarely keepers.
12-10-2014, 07:33 AM   #79
Pentaxian

Right, when it rains, i keep it under my coat.

12-10-2014, 07:40 AM   #80
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Right, when it rains, i keep it under my coat.
What is "it"?

12-10-2014, 08:29 AM - 6 Likes   #81
Pentaxian

It ???
Sorry, Them.

12-13-2014, 03:00 AM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Spot on! Not every new camera is aimed at every user. Nor should that be a problem. A good camera stands on its own and there is no evidence that the K-S1 is not a good camera.
The only problem I have with K-S1 in the end is that I really think the biggest improvement of K3 was the AF, and by far. I have the feeling that the K-S1 do not really justify being 50% more expensive than K50 with different ergonomics and a slightly more pixelized sensor.

This is not bad but since I tried the K3 autofocus I can't really go back. Could try different ergonomics, could go back to 16MP... Interrested in smaller body like K-S1. But i want to keep small and precise AF point that also go quite well in low light and fast lenses. This is game changer.

I guess that if you didn't see the differences between for example K5 & K3... You might not really care of this through. For a first DSLR, K-S1 might be good choice... A bit expensive because it is new but ok otherwise.

12-13-2014, 03:10 AM   #83
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Interrested in smaller body like K-S1.
The 'S' line of products (Q-S1, K-S1) aren't aimed at you, Nicholas.
12-13-2014, 03:18 AM   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
The 'S' line of products (Q-S1, K-S1) aren't aimed at you, Nicholas.
Yeah apparently
12-13-2014, 03:47 AM   #85

Yeah apparently
Then what are you complaining about? And note that the K-3, if it has better AF than the K-S1 is also considerably more expensive.
12-13-2014, 06:59 AM - 1 Like   #86
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clothears Quote
Then what are you complaining about? And note that the K-3, if it has better AF than the K-S1 is also considerably more expensive.
Come'on ! That's obvious ! If Pentax had offered instead a K3 ltd in K-S1 size... I would have been much more pleased. It would have been small, WR, light and would have good accurate AF.

Guys complain when they are not happy... The camera K-S1 doesn't fit my needs, neither K30 or K50 and K3 neither. There is no high end camera with size of Kx/K-S1 while it would be possible. The alternative is not offered. So for sure I could have been in a situation where Pentax tried more to have a small high end DSLR instead than K-S1 and that would have been quite pleasing situation... You see?

The guys that want fast glass complain when Pentax release slow glass, not because they don't accept other get the affordable glass they need... but more, their need, fast glass is not really covered yet in Pentax land (like a wide fast glass). That the same for tele shooters, there no 400 or 500mm tele lens offered. That the like that want action/sport lenses. There no one lens sold today that cover that. We have hope for tele lenses and action sport as it seems to be on the road map. But no hope until know for small high end body or good wide angle lens with large apperture or sharp corners to corners.

If it it is at least released you can save the money or wait for price to go down... That the case for say K3 or DA20-40. If it is not released at all, there no luck. The K3 will finish for example at 400€ or something like the K5 did before.. And like the K-S1 will eventually too.. Already K3 is 800€ while it started at 1100€. In one year it will cost 600€ like K-S1 price today.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 12-13-2014 at 07:07 AM.
12-13-2014, 08:38 AM - 5 Likes   #87
Veteran Member

Guys complain when they are not happy... The camera K-S1 doesn't fit my needs, neither K30 or K50 and K3 neither. There is no high end camera with size of Kx/K-S1 while it would be possible. The alternative is not offered. So for sure I could have been in a situation where Pentax tried more to have a small high end DSLR instead than K-S1 and that would have been quite pleasing situation... You see?
Having hung around this forum for awhile, I can say with absolute certainty that the next camera Pentax releases will face unrelenting criticism here because it is:

1) Way too small [because it's smaller than a K-20D, and anyone who likes it doesn't know anything about photography and just wants to have a small camera because they saw someone else with one, plus my pwecious wittle pinky doesn't know what to do wif itself. I'm jumping ship.]

AND

2) Way too big [because it's bigger than an original Q and anyone who uses a bigger camera is a stupid Neanderthal who doesn't know anything about photography and is just trying to compensate for something - even the new Q's are too big. I'm jumping ship.]

AND if it comes in multiple colors

3) Stupid colors [because anyone who uses a colored camera is just concerned about their image and isn't serious about photography. I'm jumping ship.]

AND if it comes in only black

4) Stupid color choice [because anyone who requires a camera to black is a stuck in the mud old fuddie duddie. I'm jumping ship.]

AND if it has a mirror

5) Ancient design [because mirrors move and vibrate and come off their hinges and stuff, besides anyone can see at a glance that every picture taken with a camera that has a mirror is flawed. I'm jumping ship.]

AND if it doesn't have a mirror

6) Relies on immature technology [because the EVF is laggy, wastes my battery and gives me a headache, and anyone using a camera without a mirror is a gadgetista, not a photographer. I'm jumping ship.]

AND if it is not FF

... [this list could go on for 3,000,000 posts]

You see?
12-13-2014, 08:55 AM   #88

QuoteOriginally posted by cfraz Quote
Having hung around this forum for awhile, I can say with absolute certainty that the next camera Pentax releases will face unrelenting criticism here because it is:

[snip list of reasons]

... [this list could go on for 3,000,000 posts]

You see?
Very good, this makes my point precisely and humorously.

My advice to some posters is to stop whinging so much.
12-13-2014, 12:56 PM   #89
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clothears Quote
Very good, this makes my point precisely and humorously.

My advice to some posters is to stop whinging so much.
Well my point was... When many complain they might also have a legitimate reason Even if we don't agree with them ... I'am not against K-S1 per see even through if asked I would advice K30 or if no longer available K50 anyday compared to K-S1... As long as they are WR, tend to be less expensive and overall give you the same photographic possibilities.

Problem is more that some needs aren't (yet ?) covered. So when there are limited resources (for R&D and releasing product here), one might prefer the resources are spent on something that is of interrest to him.

And if he, and other with same needs are not vocal enough they may never see what they wanted.
12-13-2014, 02:00 PM   #90

Well my point was... When many complain they might also have a legitimate reason Even if we don't agree with them ... I'am not against K-S1 per see even through if asked I would advice K30 or if no longer available K50 anyday compared to K-S1... As long as they are WR, tend to be less expensive and overall give you the same photographic possibilities.
Well now you're giving reasons which makes much more sense.
QuoteQuote:
Problem is more that some needs aren't (yet ?) covered. So when there are limited resources (for R&D and releasing product here), one might prefer the resources are spent on something that is of interrest to him.
Sure but that's not much of a reason, is it. Otherwise I might ask that they scrap the 645Z to concentrate on what I want.
QuoteQuote:
And if he, and other with same needs are not vocal enough they may never see what they wanted.
I would expect what is posted here to inform Ricoh to only a very limited extent.