Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2014, 02:31 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd almost forgotten about old Rice Low. I will now try to forget about him again.

11-12-2014, 05:32 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
Come to think of it the recent price drops of the K-3 would indicate an update coming, but it seems to soon. Hard to believe there is any demand for it though, but perhaps a new model would be more inline with the 7d mark 2.
Considering only the time passed from the launch of K-3, yes, is to soon. But I think that Ricoh could have some other reasons. If the sales data are not very good, and those recent cascading price drops, and also the number of Pentax dedicated users who clearly express that they will not upgrade to K-3 seems to point that. Also, a good reason to launch a new camera can be significant changes in technology they have developed. Or simply, demand from a big market. We know that their main target is Japan and Asian markets, but we don't know what they want from a Pentax camera.
11-12-2014, 06:15 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
Considering only the time passed from the launch of K-3, yes, is to soon. But I think that Ricoh could have some other reasons. If the sales data are not very good, and those recent cascading price drops, and also the number of Pentax dedicated users who clearly express that they will not upgrade to K-3 seems to point that. Also, a good reason to launch a new camera can be significant changes in technology they have developed. Or simply, demand from a big market. We know that their main target is Japan and Asian markets, but we don't know what they want from a Pentax camera.
I've just checked prices at a main Pentax dealer here in the UK. There's a just-launched Pentax Winter Cashback on and prices have dropped quite heavily. For example, last week the K3 was 819 pounds straight up. This week it is 775 pounds less 70 pounds cashback = 705 pounds. The K-S1 body-only is now 399 pounds including cashback which is a pretty heavy reduction on its first asking price which (iirc) was nearer 500 pounds or so. The real steal is still the K-50, now at 309 pounds body only including cashback. Lens prices have come down a bit too, not on cashback just a reduction. I noticed around 50 pounds off the DA* 16-50mm, for example, and maybe 25 pounds off the DA* 55mm. I think the DA* line generally has been reduced in price. There is no cashback on the KIIs, interestingly, just on the K3, K-S1 and K-50.

At 705 pounds for the K3, it would be hard to say no really. By what things cost here, that is a very good price considering all that one is getting. The camera was 850-880 pounds or so two or three months ago.

The dealer has set the pre-delivery price of the new 16-85mm at 599 pounds. One imagines that will come down by 100 pounds or more fairly rapidly.

Anyway, perhaps the "old" on Amazon could be do with new prices around a winter cashback programme rather than new models.

FWIW, the new price of the K3 is still roughly par with the D7100. That is a little higher now at around 769 pounds but Nikon are throwing in a free grip on their winter programme so things balance out. I'd guess that all the camera companies are finding it hard to sell much at the moment, so these reductions don't necessarily mean that Pentax is doing worse than anyone else. In fact if they are canny about their Winter Cashback, they may end up doing better.

Last edited by mecrox; 11-12-2014 at 06:32 AM.
11-12-2014, 12:40 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Bassie Quote
I'd almost forgotten about old Rice Low. I will now try to forget about him again.
Yes, that's the best thing to do!

11-12-2014, 12:47 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by y0chang Quote
Saw this on RiceHigh... Pentax is DOOOOMED? Ugh I hate even giving him traffic, but here is the link from amazon at least.

Amazon.com : Pentax K-3 Pentax SLR SLR Camera - Body Only (OLD MODEL) : Slr Digital Cameras : Camera & Photo
Just checked the link you posted. The words "Old Model" are no longer displayed. Must have been the typical Amazon copy writing sloppiness.

NaCl(don't trust much of what you read on Amazon)H2O
11-12-2014, 02:21 PM   #21

Photos: Albums
It is probably being replaced by the 36mp Spotmatic I was told about last week (Honestly, yes, and by someone with close-ish ties to the importer, but that doesn't mean the person who told him wasn't just speculating). Actually I expect it was just a glitch/typo at Amazon. Either that or we will get a K3 II with a tilt/swivel screen and no other real change.
11-12-2014, 02:56 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Despite rumors and a posible typo on Amazon, one thing is an indisputable fact. The price drop of K-3 in the recent months, to half of the initial price, is unusual for a flagship DSLR which is only one year old. I can't remember another camera with a price evolution like this. Not even K-01.

As far as I know the camera market, this is a clear sign that a replacement is coming.

11-12-2014, 03:47 PM   #23
Pentaxian

I don't know. Perhaps it's just the winter sales, besides, in Europe it's still over 900 euro.
11-12-2014, 04:14 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are prices on D7100 down to $604 body only (maybe gray market) but still plenty of offers below $900 so k-3 @ $896 is just competitive. I think Ricoh is just staying in the ball park with the competition rather than this being a sign of anything. Except that maybe the market is weaker for DSLRs.
11-12-2014, 04:50 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

if a company is preparing to announce a flagship body - say within 8-10 weeks from today - in the $2,500 - $2,700 range and might want to reduce inventory of anything in warehouses that would compete on a value / price basis.

Same if a company plans to announce an upgrade of its former flagship camera - that includes several of the distinguishing peripheral features of the aforementioned new flagship - with a X-y 'II' or 's' or 'n' type of designation.

Same if said company plans to announce a highly-capable but lower-spec camera body in the $799 - $899 range that has most of the technology of the formerly flagship camera with a different control and menu interface.

then - purely speculative - but - I think a company would offer 'silent' clearance pricing

else - it's just noise
11-12-2014, 05:02 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
if a company is preparing to announce a flagship body - say within 8-10 weeks from today - in the $2,500 - $2,700 range and might want to reduce inventory of anything in warehouses that would compete on a value / price basis.

Same if a company plans to announce an upgrade of its former flagship camera - that includes several of the distinguishing peripheral features of the aforementioned new flagship - with a X-y 'II' or 's' or 'n' type of designation.

Same if said company plans to announce a highly-capable but lower-spec camera body in the $799 - $899 range that has most of the technology of the formerly flagship camera with a different control and menu interface.

then - purely speculative - but - I think a company would offer 'silent' clearance pricing

else - it's just noise
Could you give that to us as a logic flow chart?
11-12-2014, 05:06 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Could you give that to us as a logic flow chart?
No.

I booted Philosophy 101, which was Logic.

So I majored in English. But I could never make my peace with Whitman.

So I sell things. It puts food on the table.

But I'll allow there should be a GOTO in there somewhere.
11-12-2014, 05:07 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
Despite rumors and a posible typo on Amazon, one thing is an indisputable fact. The price drop of K-3 in the recent months, to half of the initial price, is unusual for a flagship DSLR which is only one year old. I can't remember another camera with a price evolution like this. Not even K-01.

As far as I know the camera market, this is a clear sign that a replacement is coming.
Of course, maybe it was too high a price to start with, but, in I agree with you. A new model may not be that far away, I feel.
11-12-2014, 05:26 PM   #29
JPT
Pentaxian

Since Pentax is focused on APS-C (publicly) and claims that it is a viable alternative to FF, it makes sense for Pentax to have the most capable APS-C body on the market.

Now that Sony has the A77 II and Canon has the 7D II on the market, the K-3 has lost some of its shine, and the price drop reflects this.

The 7D II is selling well at 200,000 yen, while the K-3 can be bought for under 80,000 yen now. Of course this reflects the quality of the product and Canon's brand power, but it also shows there is still a market for high end APS-C.

If I had to guess, I'd say Pentax were:
1) planning to launch a new APS-C camera positioned above the K-3
2) reducing the price of the current K-3, or replace it with a cost-reduced version
3) wishing that the K-5 IIs would just sell out (actually some shops in Japan no longer have it)
11-12-2014, 05:30 PM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Since Pentax is focused on APS-C (publicly) and claims that it is a viable alternative to FF, it makes sense for Pentax to have the most capable APS-C body on the market.

Now that Sony has the A77 II and Canon has the 7D II on the market, the K-3 has lost some of its shine, and the price drop reflects this.

The 7D II is selling well at 200,000 yen, while the K-3 can be bought for under 80,000 yen now. Of course this reflects the quality of the product and Canon's brand power, but it also shows there is still a market for high end APS-C.

If I had to guess, I'd say Pentax were:
1) planning to launch a new APS-C camera positioned above the K-3
2) reducing the price of the current K-3, or replace it with a cost-reduced version
3) wishing that the K-5 IIs would just sell out (actually some shops in Japan no longer have it)
Yes, you're right. I wish I had a K-5iiS actually!